What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

I ask all the time but no one has any suggestions. Then invariably they do have something to say when we all sit down to eat.

3 Likes

Cozy dinner of Nuremburger sausages, mashed potatoes, and sauerkraut with carrots added by me.

Potatoes and carrots are from my winter CSA veggie stash. Sausages made not too far away by Karl’s Sausage Kitchen in Peabody, MA. Good old supermarket kraut.

11 Likes

Mexican-centric tonight, kids’ request.

I marinated some gorgeous shrimp in Rick Bayless’s green adobo (parsley from the parsley jungle growing in some of my tomato planters in the garden, and home grown serranos too). Seared in a hot cast iron pan, and a squeeze of lemon to finish.

Kids had refried black beans, quesadillas, “crunch wraps” - ie quesadilla with beans and a crushed tortilla chip inside for extra crunch, and the veg.

Vegetables tonight were elote, simple green beans, and roasted cauliflower.

16 Likes

New York Rangers opening night hockey. BF begrudgingly watched with me while we had dinner. While the game was a disaster, the food was good.

Crab cakes with Sriracha-garlic aioli, sautéed broccolini (garlic, olive oil, dry vermouth), and slow-cooker risotto which tasted great but came out a little mushy.

I’ll say this: I’ve had broccolini in restaurants but never made it at home. It was DELICIOUS. Tender and flavorful. Better than broccoli, better than broccoli rabe. Slightly sweet. While it was a tad overcooked, I loved it.

19 Likes

Love broccolini, it’s one of my favorite vegetables. Kind of in between the bitterness of broccoli rabe (and less leafy) and broccoli. A bit like gai lan (“Chinese broccoli”) which makes sense as it is apparently a hybrid of that and broccoli. I usually just steam it for about 4 and a half minutes and season with salt and pepper.

7 Likes

Best sporting event I’ve ever been to . On the glass Sharks arena . Seated corner next to the goal . My friend said , " you better grab your beer off the glass . " Game started . Within two minutes a player was checked into the glass right in front of me . Everything shook . My freind turned and smiled.

5 Likes

I agree! It’s the best. I rarely see it.

2 Likes

I made ATK’s honey-glazed baby back ribs (started in the IP using Melissa Clark’s recipe) with cold soba noodles and dipping sauce, and miso-butter corn.

17 Likes

so you’re not low on bucatini either, eh?

1 Like

Chorizo tostadas with green rice and egg. My beautiful local egg broke, while the BF’s cheaper, organic-but-flown in-from-IA-egg stayed intact. hmmph. Lightly fried corn tortillas underneath. Chorizo was a little too clove-y for us - very tasty, but not in this dish maybe. The rice was a new thing for me - made with half broth and half milk, which made for a very delicious, creamy texture, upped by adding queso fresco at the end. I only had Japanese medium grain rice on hand, and I used arugula instead of the spinach called for in the recipe because that’s what we had. Also, a bunch of cilantro, sauteed onion, garlic, carrots. I’ll make this rice again.

16 Likes

Luckily the Bay Area seems to have been spared from the great bucatini shortage. I found this at my local Safeway. I did buy an extra pack just in case!

9 Likes

Flown in egg from IA . kudos. I don’t even know what that is.

Beautiful skyscapes …

That picture says; “Snow Day” to me. lol Perfect winter meal, looks delicious.

I love broccolini and make it the same way however I use garlic and shallots. I also steam mine to control the tenderness more then just toss in the olive oil, wine, garlic and shallots to finish. Those crab cakes look very good as well, care to share the recipe for those puppies?

1 Like

That looks absolutely delicious. While having “breakfast for dinner” has always been a turn off for me, I’ve got to say if you put that plate in front of me for dinner I would devour it. Nicely done, broken yolk or not! lol

1 Like

Thanks. It is delicious.

Its my mom’s recipe. On paper. I’ll have to take a pic for you.

1 Like

Fettuccini at lunch time … home, both of us working remote. Friday afternoon …

11 Likes

What I wouldn’t give for a seafood extravaganza. My eldest doesn’t do seafood. We have to kick him out of the house (college, next year), before we can expand our normal menus.

2 Likes