What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

Tuesday evening … Local quiet dinner out …

10 Likes

I don’t know, maybe it’s me but don’t those portions look skimpy!?!?!?! :sweat_smile: :rofl: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :sweat_smile: :rofl:

2 Likes

They look pretty piled up to me, and the foods are touching each other! At least there’s no sauce…:joy_cat:

3 Likes

Missed the dinner shot. I fixed a tasty chicken satay with golan masala/coconut milk marinade, cashew jasmine rice and grilled pineapple.

:v:Out HO’s.

8 Likes

We have no vegetables in the house - I’ve been avoiding the grocery store with rising case counts, and am also reluctant to hire someone to shop. So tonight’s dinner was cobbled together following a discussion about typical family meals growing up. I made hamburger and tater tot casserole after my step MIL. I think we all would have preferred this as a separate burger patty and truly crisp and brown tots. Somehow less than the sum of its parts.

12 Likes

It was a good day.
A REALLY good day. :hugs:

Dinner was a turkey tenderloin, seasoned with s/p and pan-seared in olive oil for a couple of minutes per side, with a bit of white wine tossed in to reduce at the end. Then into a 350° oven to finish cooking.

Sauce was OJ, honey mustard, additional honey, freshly grated ginger, dry sherry, and s/p, all reduced. Added a bit of a cornstarch slurry to help thicken it at the end.

Sides were roasted Herbs de Provence potatoes and steamed green beans.

Oh, there WAS wine. The rest of a bottle of Hitch Chardonnay.

Because it was a really good day. :hugs:

16 Likes

Oh my . Fabulous. The Liguarian wine

1 Like

Nice

2 Likes

Indian food for dinner tonight,

Palak (spinach) chicken, after removing plain spinach for a kid.

Two dals - kala masoor (whole brown lentils) for the adults, thick sweetish yellow dal for the kids.

Simply spiced cauliflower for everyone.

A bit of leftover (frozen) veg kofta curry for one and peas in onion-tomato masala for another.

Adults ate no bread/rice (january… sigh), kids had GF parathas that I made yesterday and finished fresh for dinner.

Somehow I forgot to take pictures of the food. However, we had by far the best sunset in a year. Just spectacular - the ocean was lit up as much as the sky. My heart was full long before my stomach.

19 Likes

The two palm trees . Magnificent.

3 Likes

The New York Times recipe for Korean sauerkraut pancakes inspired dinner. I didn’t have sauerkraut but I did have some kimchee to use up which worked perfectly. I took some blue fish out of the freezer as I needed something to stand up to the strong flavors in the pancakes. I made a quick sauce of pickled ginger, gochujang, and sesame oil and broiled this fish until just done (I hate “well-done” fish). Served with the pancakes and roasted broccoli.

15 Likes

I read that article too. You have made a very yummy plate there!

3 Likes

Last night’s quick fix butter chicken. Cheated with Patak’s simmer sauce which I added a little of this and that to.

There was a gin & tonic.

14 Likes

Thank you. That article was perfect timing as I had no idea what to make for dinner. I’m not tired of the cooking but am tired of the planning.

5 Likes

I agree. I like to cook but I’m really tired of figuring what to cook. Just tell me what you want, and I’ll make it!

3 Likes

Dinner last night was super-decadent leftover jalapeño mac and cheese (not pictured). We buy the spicy mac as a take-and-bake treat from a local cafe, then stash it in the freezer until we need a cheery comfort food meal.

To go with, I made us a salad of roasted delicata squash dressed with olive oil and a ras al hanout spice blend.

I dressed the greens beneath with pomegranate molasses and olive oil, as a tart counterpoint to the rich mac and cheese. (Balsamic vinegar is more typical for me.) Scatter of pumpkin seeds on top because I wasn’t motivated last night to clean and roast the seeds from the delicata.

Tasty way to get more veg on our plates.

10 Likes

A favorite for dinner last night - pork, eggplant & tofu, potstickers from frozen.

12 Likes

The Charcuteire was for 4 people at that table !

The Spaghetti Vongole was mine and had a very very light white wine - clam sauce

The fish was my dear´s …

My 2 grandsons - I did not take photographs of their dishes as they only had pizzas … However, the 3 of them shared the charcuterie. It was enough for 3 …

The vongole was 100 grams … which is standard for Italian restaurateurs …

3 Likes

Potato soup with toasted rosemary bread.

12 Likes

@Barca - I wasn’t being serious in my post. In the US, or parts of it, we say in those instances, that we’re speaking tongue in cheek, which is what I was doing.

2 Likes