What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

Parpadella bolognese. (several different angles and distances pics per the sub-topic in the Portions thread)

16 Likes

A Use It Up Night to get things out of my freezer and crisper drawers turned into a modified Beef with Broccoli stir-fry.

Shaved beef stood in for the slices of beef.
Used up the rest of a head of broccoli.
1/4 of a small onion in the fridge got sliced up.
The rest of some grated ginger in sherry got used.
A 1/2 cup of beef stock was added to the small bit left in a bottle of low-sodium soy sauce.
Served on leftover rice pilaf.

And some peanuts thrown on top.
Because I can.
The dish was already Not-So Beef with Broccoli, so why not?

And a glass of wine for the cook.

Not bad. And gives me lunch tomorrow.

17 Likes

Talking IP notes…:wink:

1 Like

Deleted

Browned seasoned chicken leg quarters in a non-stick insert in plenty of oil, then added a puree of bell pepper (yellow this time), onion, garlic, broth, [ETA to add] some dry vermouth and half-sharp paprika, and a hit of tomato paste and soy sauce (so sue me). 3 bay leaves, 5 Tbsp. sweet paprika, pinch of marjoram. 35 min on high pressure (my quarters were a tad frozen) and quick release. Remove the chicken and discard skin, sautée mode the sauce with a sour cream and flour slurry til thick.

Good eating!

6 Likes

That looks super good.

1 Like

I ordered and enjoyed a chicken burrito, with sides of guacamole and sour cream from my Chef friend.

12 Likes

Tied up all afternoon, so bits and pieces salad plate. Last night’s leftover porkchop, grilled romaine and a mushroom, shishitos, and a slab of focaccia, dough thrown together in odd moments, not my best effort but dinner on the table.
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 5.59.39 PM

13 Likes

ohhh lawdy… alla gricia is new to me… i’m going to have to try this. looks absolutely fabulous.

1 Like

Clean-out-the-fridge-beanie-weenie-soup: Rancho Gordo King City Pinks, using the bean broth as the base, added water and a tbs. of BTB Roast Garlic flavor. good stuff - but you only need a little. Also, taters, onions/carrots/thyme/bay leaves/Maggi seasoning/whole grain mustard/s&p, and sauteed sausage. Arugula and a swirl of olive oil to top, and a really yummy (store-bought) buttered/garlicked/toasted rosemary roll to split.

16 Likes

seriously drool-worthy.

1 Like

I think we all know what portions to expect from you, fat ass!

:rofl:

4 Likes

Easy there tiger this is a family friendly web-site.

1 Like

The best of meals . Clean out the fridge.

1 Like

Bucatini alla carbonara

15 Likes

Family friendly when ya called me a fat bastard???

3 Likes

My first time making it - it’s like carbonara without egg, or cacio e pepe with guanciale/pancetta, or Amatriciana without the tomatoes and wine!

4 Likes

Love love love alla gricia for precisely this reason. Carbonara is just too egg yolky for me. Gricia is perfection!

1 Like

The latest black eyed peas and collards. Grilled salmon on a separate plate. :grin:

14 Likes

We had pan-Asian on Monday. Lemongrass-ginger brined chicken, am old favorite that I had forgotten about, with miso butter mushrooms (that I love but am now sick of because we eat them weekly), and snow peas in a light sauce. It’s always amazing to me how deeply the chicken gets flavored by the brine

Last night was thrown off course by the kids, who rejected the planned indian meal in favor of burgers. So we cobbled the rest of the meal together without much forethought - I made pan-roasted garlic broccoli and crisp faux-fried Brussels sprouts I’m the oven. We also had gochujang chicken and pan-fried tofu for the adults Indian meal punted to tonight.

12 Likes