What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

At first I thought the bleu was unnecessary since bacon and apples sounded good without it. However, during the cooking process, it really held together. When turning them over in the pan, not a single bit of stuffing fell out. Chilling it in the fridge also helped IMO.

As for another cheese, I’m sure you could use anything that you think would compliment bacon and apples. Maybe a shredded cheddar?

TIA.

3 Likes

Oh, I forgot to add that I skipped the rosemary! We are not big fans.

2 Likes

I’m thinking Comte if I can’t find a mild bleu cheese.

Looks great. Where do the chickpeas come in?

1 Like

It’s a guessing game? :wink:

Thanks. I think cheddar might be nice. I’m also not a rosemary fan so I would leave it out.

2 Likes

This time I used canned chickpeas, so I simply added them to the pot when the sweet potatoes were almost cooked. I wanted the chickpeas to maintain their shape rather than use them to thicken.

1 Like

Lol, as the mom of a hockey player I use the puck analogy too.

1 Like

I still use canned chickpeas a lot too. I have a big bag of dried but haven’t been as successful cooking them as other legumes.

1 Like

It all sounds so good! The on top of bread version too! What is the dollop of yellow?

That’s the Amba. It’s sort of like a chutney and typically made with mangos. Some recipes specify green mangos while others call for ripe ones. I use whatever I have on hand. For this batch I had some overripe persimmons.

I use Adeena Sussman’s recipe as a guide.

2 Likes

The 2nd one is correct, Besciamella …

In Spanish, Besamel and French it is Bechamel.

SATURDAY. Since it was snowing throughout northern Spain and Central Spain, we decided to take the grandsons the 50 metres - 70 metres to the corner Pizzeria. We had the restaurant to ourselves. My sons and our daughter in laws and the grandsons – The team of Dennis the Menace …

15 Likes

Late start to the day.

Wegmans is more crowded at 2pm than it is before lunch.

I survived lousy cart drivers who think they can leave their carts and walk away to shop for what they want…blocking anyone else who wants access to the aisle or produce their cart is blocking.

Aisle cart clearing has become an art form. :wink:

But my visit provided dinner for tonight: seared sea scallops with saffron cream sauce, Israeli couscous, and steamed asparagus.

And wine. :wink:

And maybe some Giffords Sea Salt Caramel Truffle ice cream for afters.

16 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Is there an equivalent to Mornay?

Beef stew/chili hybridish thing for dinner tonight. Braised some chunks of chuck in beer for a couple of hours until tender, then added some BBQ pork shoulder and smoky broth from the freezer, chunks of chorizo, chile colorado sauce from the freezer, black beans, canned tomatoes, peppers and onions. Brief simmer to bring it all together and dinner was served. Hearty and satisfying!

9 Likes

If I ever use a cart , maybe once a year . I’ll put it where people can move around it easily
I’ve been on so many job sites it’s the way I think . Time and efficiency. For everyone in the building.

3 Likes

Country spare-ribs on dressed sauerkraut

17 Likes