What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

@rwcfoodie, I’m going to try the cheesecake from the blog you mentioned. That couple does a lot of trial and error, which I enjoy.

1 Like

This one is very good. I’d scale down the sugar a little bit.

The custard sets beautifully, but the crust gets soggy imo (I enjoy a bit of crunch on the base, can fake it by using a crumb topping though.)

Ok, that was fun to watch. Bookmarked.

Grilled jumbo shrimp and swordfish tonight. Garlic and harissa marinade, because my harissa restock arrived today.

The roasted cauliflower was the real star - I seasoned it and let it marinate for a while, and grated a bit of pecorino before roasting. Dynamite.

Last-minute addition of broccoli slaw for a bit of crunch and freshness - vietnamese style, for an international plate :joy:

16 Likes

The very first Insta Pot I sold, when they just started hitting American stores was to a woman who wanted make yogurt. She had one “at home” (not sure where home was) but needed one to run on US current.

@Saregama gave excellent advice.

An IP isn’t for everyone. If someone only likes stir fries and grilled food forget an IP - there’s no way you’re going to like it. But if you are someone who likes soups, stews, braises and the like the IP is very handy. I like it much better than my stove top pressure cooker. Just about anything I would do in my slow cooker I do in my IP. My favorite use is to cook beans. I can decide an hour before dinner that I want something with beans and can cook them up fresh. You have to play around with the cooking time to get them the way you like them but once you do they come out perfect just about anytime. I keep a chart for my self. I never soak. I can’t remember the last time I bought a can of beans.

Have fun!

6 Likes

Tonight we had the full house both kids and their significant other’s, the request “something parmigiana”. Here we have (1of) the chicken parms for the ladies and the thinly pounded veal chop parms “monsters” for the gents! Side of broccolini and garlic bread.

16 Likes

i use mine for HB eggs all the time, 8 or 9 at a time. they turn out perfect (jammy, the way I like them) every time.

i’ve definitely heard of people making yogurt in the IP. I use it for chicken stock as well.

But I’ve made stews and soups, etc. and I agree with @Saregama - you need to put in effort and care, it’s not a dump and leave situation, if you want depth of flavor. just like you would with any cooking method.

5 Likes

Amy + Jacky #17 Cheesecake! You probably read that it was the 17th version, they definitely test, test & test their recipes before they share them… :heart::yum:

2 Likes

Mrs. P made a meat lovers pizza with D’Artagnan’s applewood smoked heritage ham, smoked andouille sausage, and smoked chicken and apple sausage. It went great with an excellent cabernet.

13 Likes

Pork chop stuffed with bacon, apple, bleu cheese, shallot, garlic, and an Ararat Brandy deglazing. Pan-seared using rendered bacon fat in cast iron before finishing in the oven. Served over rice pilaf.

If anyone wants the recipe I will share. I made a few alterations but overall it was delicious and spot-on with cooking times. Only thing I would change next time is less bleu cheese. Even with only using three quarters of the called for amount, it was too much and too sharp. Most bites were bereft of bacon and apple, which was disappointing.

It paired great with a Montgomery Estates chardonnay.

16 Likes

Recipe would be great.

1 Like

Nothing better than a bowl of clams and mussels from Washington with bread and wine . Cheers.

20 Likes

Changes made:

1. I made the stuffing about an hour ahead of time so it could settle in the fridge. This chilling made it very easy to stuff the chops.

2. The recipe called for adding the bleu cheese to the skillet when the stuffing is done. I put the stuffing in a bowl and folded in the bleu into that. Since the chops were supposed to be seared in the same pan as the stuffing, the bleu would have made quite the mess in the pan. Also, I felt the need to deglaze during the stuffing cooking process. I used cognac. I cant imagine the recipe without it, as the apples and bacon stuck to my cast iron.

3. As I said, I used 3/4ish less bleu cheese than called for (for a half batch). The result was STILL very sharp. I would add even less next time.

8 Likes

…and a good one. It looks delicious. Is the soup base the chickpeas & curry puréed?

1 Like

Your DIL is a treasure.

2 Likes

For the base of the soup, I riffed on the Ottolenghi curried lentil, tomato, and coconut soup. I made this soup on repeat late last winter, and after a making another soup based on a ginger turmeric broth I realized that sautéed onion, fresh ginger, curry powder, water, and coconut milk as a base could lead to numerous other combinations.

I may also infuse heat by adding a dried unbroken whole chile, like a Thai bird chile or a habanero, and fishing it out when the stew is done. I learned that tip in a virtual cooking class about Jamaican stew peas. Not necessary if I have hot curry powder, which I happen to have right now.

3 Likes

#2 is a real adv help.

2 Likes

I’ve used mine to make yogurt and steam eggs with good results, but I’ve not tried it in my stovetop pressure cooker, so I can’t compare. I usually do the yogurt overnight, and I can’t imagine leaving my pressure cooker on the stovetop overnight.

1 Like

Would it work not using the bleu at all or does it need something to help keep the stuffing together? Could I use another cheese? My husband is not a bleu cheese fan (putting it mildly!). Thanks.

1 Like