What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

I made a creamy chicken and spinach soup in the IP on slow cook mode (3 hrs). I subbed ww pearl couscous, which I cooked separately, reduced the bacon and cream, and omitted the Italian seasoning. Reserved most of the bacon as garnish so it stayed crispy. Here’s the original: https://www.simplyhappyfoodie.com/instant-pot-creamy-chicken-gnocchi-soup/#wprm-recipe-container-4107

16 Likes

Tonight was a chicken topped with prosciutto and provolone in a creamy medeira wine sauce. Served on bed of mini rigatoni with spinach, mushrooms and roasted red peppers. Quite delicious if I do say so myself!

18 Likes

i just love your copper stock pot…

more salteñas - we froze quite a few. BF also made a Peruvian dish called Papa a la Huancaina. It’s one of my favorite Peruvian dishes - a cold potato dish in a cheese sauce. (Bolivia has a dish with the same name, but ours is made with peanut butter, and I actually prefer the Peruvian one.) The BF used a jarred aji amarillo paste which is pretty strong, a little goes a long way, but I had him thin it down with some evaporated milk. On the side, a little avo & shallot salad.

19 Likes

The whole meal sounds delicious!

1 Like

Chinese tonight, I cooked because others were busy after they got started.

Sautéed mixed mushrooms - king oyster, criminology, fresh shiitake, kung pao chicken wings (doctoring some badly cooked wings from the weekend - marinated sous vide and then finished with aromatics), garlic broccolini, ginger snap peas, and saucy (beyond / veggie) meatballs.

It was all delicious, but my stomach started griping right as I was finishing cooking, so I didn’t eat any of that. I’m boiling potatoes and cooking plain white rice for some exciting BRAT action. Sigh.

18 Likes

That’s the spirit.

Uhhh Yum!

1 Like

I usually grill thin pork chops but a friend gave us some really nice, thick-cut pork chops. I never made stuffed pork chops before but these gave me the perfect opportunity to try. I made a quick brine solution with salt, brown sugar, pepper, and garlic and let the chops sit while I put together the stuffing. After rummaging around the fridge I sautéed mushrooms, roasted garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and spinach. I slit the chops, added the stuffing and some cubes of a sharp provolone. After a quick sear they chops went into a 400 degree oven for 18 minutes. Served with roasted potatoes with garlic and rosemary.

)

18 Likes

Thank you, it’s from a set of copper Revere Ware that I purchased during the bicentennial. That would be 40+ years ago, I love them.

1 Like

Very nice potato classic Peruvian dish.

1 Like

OMG THOSE SHROOMS! Any seasoning besides S&P?

Been Eatin’ Seafood…

Creamy Lemon Spaghetti w/Smoked Salmon + Ikura

The lemony sauce w/lemon-garlic ghee, cream, seafood broth & sake and the hot-smoked salmon, briny bursts of ikura, chives & dill were a delicious melange of flavors. :heart:

There was sake…

Tamagawa “Heart of Oak” Tokubetsu Junmai

Mussels w/Chicken Sausage, Yukon Gold Potatoes, Tomatoes, Leaks, Shallots, Wine, Olive Oil + Crostini

Meh. The mussels although fresh and tender were too small and some could’ve been cooked a little longer. The chicken sausages, potatoes & sauce didn’t really work.

The wine wasn’t much better. :smirk: Okay, it wasn’t terrible, but the dry, citrus acidity didn’t do it for me or the dish.

Scallop Rolls - Wild Bay Scallops, Celery, Scallions, Cilantro, Dill, Mayo, Connie & Ted’s Tarter Sauce, Lime, Smoked Maldon Salt, Chili Powder, Radish Sprouts in Connie & Ted’s Split-top Buns

:heart::blush::heart: Sooo delicious.

Salad Lettuces, Blood Oranges, Avocados, Persian Cucumbers, Red Onions, Radish Sprouts, Cilantro, Dill

Dressing - Herdez Spicy Guacamole Salsa, Labneh, Buttery Olive Oil, Lime, Honey

Hubs had a Modelo and I had Sake.

Happy Seafood Eating!

17 Likes

Whatever that dish is on the bottom, I NEED IT!

1 Like

Not exactly dinner but we will probably be eating this with dinner at some point this week.

A friend gave us purple yams and I wanted to make a soup out of them. I’m not a big soup fan, but I make an excellent potato-leek soup as well as a curried sweet potato one as well. I was hesitant because of the color but it was worth the risk.

This experiment ended up working. If you can get past the color, this is stupidly delicious. Purple yams, asparagus, curry powder, garlic, onion, and vegetable stock. Boiled and then hit with an immersion blender. Garnished with cilantro, toasted sesame oil, and a dollop of spicy chili crisp. I can’t get over this flavor! And vegan no less!

15 Likes

:cry: Ugh - sorry to hear the tummy is acting up. Hopefully BRAT gets you back on track so we see more great meals from you!

4 Likes

Here you go @Saregama; for a 9” crust, I always use the proportions for a 10” crust - nice to have some wiggle room. This dough needs to be handled fairly quickly, but is so easy. I also back down on the salt a little, as well as the oil, maybe by 1T on the oil, and generally just need the lesser amount of water too. For the quiche used Costco EVOO, and 1 teaspoon of TJ’s 21 seasoning salute.

Now, this is key: working quickly take 2 pieces of waxed paper, and roll the dough out between the waxy sides of the paper. Carefully peel off the top sheet of paper, and invert over your pie plate, after centering the dough. Proceed with shaping your edges, piercing if needed, and or pre-baking.
Let me know if you have any questions, and how it turns out, if you make it.

Oh, in case you’re not used to waxed paper, the top of the sheet as it comes off the roll is the waxy side. You probably know, but it confounds SIL.](https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/betty-crocker-oil-pastry-52967951)

2 Likes

Tonight was Peshawari ground turkey breast kebabs (kinda meh, would be better with richer meat), cucumber raita with jalapeño, and Meera Sodha’s chaat salad subbing mango for pomegranate (reliably good!). A little naan on the side.

14 Likes

@mariacarmen the mushrooms were the fanciest dish yesterday :joy:

I brined them separately - wild were dry, the criminis wet. Garlic, onion, s&p, soy.

Then dry-sautéed each type separately. Each new set naturally deglazed the pan, which helped the flavor I think. Then recombined all in the pan at the end to mix.

I’ll be doing this again!

8 Likes

Everyone ate different leftovers tonight.

Indian food for one - okra and cauliflower crisped up in the oven, kheema with peas retrieved from the freezer, dal from the other night.

Chinese for another - broccolini, snap peas, mushrooms, and fresh baked tofu to round it out.

Mac and cheese from the fridge, “chicken” cutlets and more cauliflower for the kids.

Fridge is pleasurably emptier now.

Oh, and for my BRAT meal of the day, I finished my rice and potatoes from last night, with a glass of indian buttermilk aka chhaash - yogurt blended with lots of water and lightly spiced with salt, black salt, ground cumin, pepper, and ajwain.

An exciting banana has been saved for dessert/ late snack :joy:

8 Likes