What's for Dinner #64 - This Year's Almost Over, Thank Goodness! Edition - December 2020

I made pork picnic shoulder rubbed with fennel seed, fresh rosemary, garlic, chili, and olive oil and roasted low and slow. Sliced potatoes and shallots fried in the drippings and sauteed okra alongside.

18 Likes

Met up with some friends for a Restaurant Depot run and a lunch stop at a local brewery that has “heated” outdoor tent seating. It was warm enough to enjoy a couple of beers and a quick pizza, but we didn’t linger. As we were leaving, my friend surprised us with a beautiful panettone he made while taking a class on levain baking last week. We dove in as soon as we got home - absolutely delicious and the texture was just heavenly. That and a cup of coffee was WFD!

16 Likes

We had another outstanding dinner at Il Nido. We enjoyed branzino, pork chop, mushroom agnolotti, and salumi. It all went great with a Chateuneuf Du Pape and red blend.

12 Likes

Proud mama here. My 14 y.o. “little” made us a lamb tagine. I’ve been sporadically asking the kids to take on a dinner. And this kid never lets himself off the hook with something easy. I think he likes the challenge. In any case, it was DELICIOUS. We all had 2 servings.

19 Likes

That’s so awesome.

I know! Imagine the kids taking care of the parents. It’s super fantastic and something all parents should experience at some point.

6 Likes

Green chicken pozole tonight - i normally make it with pork but i have a lot of cooked chicken. Made a salsa with blended fresh raw tomatillos, a charred poblano, jalapeno, serrano, and garlic with some chicken stock and poured that with more stock into a pot with the chicken and canned hominy. Bay leaf, cilantro and oregano, and a chopped up, fat charred tortilla to thicken things up/add more corniness. Toppings were the usual - dried oregano, chopped onion, radishes, cabbage, and crema. Super homey.

And for dinner tomorrow: Pork dumplings with ginger, cabbage and garlic. Using Hong Kong style wrappers for the first time - they were stretchy and pliable. Three different shapes. Some will be pan fried, a few others poached in a very flavorful homemade chicken stock that i’ll simmer with ginger. The rest will stay in the freezer for another night.

green pozole 2

20 Likes

And cooking you can a meal like that . Wowza

Sometimes the most complex looking things are kinda straightforward to put together. He had to cut a hunk of lamb into pieces, and chop onions and garlic. I gave him a tip to put the lamb back in to brown because he took it out before it was deeply colored. But the rest of the aromatics and braising liquids were just measure stuff from the pantry. Dad helped with the couscous ratio. But yes, I’m super proud of him.

6 Likes

I was learning to make chef boyardee box pizza at 14 with my mom .

4 Likes

I think if the parents are adventurous cooks/eaters, so become the kids. At least eventually. I grew up in the 70s and 80s when most of what we ate was convenience food. Frozen, just add water, boil in a bag. My grandparents cooked a lot, and I probably got the cooking bug from watching them. But they didn’t do it as an activity where they could include me, and I didn’t ask. But I have been pretty intentional about giving my kids a wide range of stuff to eat, and nurturing any interest they have in it. One is interested. One, less so!

5 Likes

Sometimes there are surprises - the dedicated adventurous cook who comes from a packaged-food type of home, or the chef’s kid for whom even opening a can is too much trouble - but yes in general family makes a big difference

4 Likes

Beautiful

Chicken karaage with kewpie mayo mixed with shichimi togarashi as a dip, rice, broccolini, tomato.

17 Likes

That pork roast! :heart:

1 Like

I’ll say and that’s more than taking care. It’s 14 y.o. kid tangine!

2 Likes

I have never heard of Harlem Chopped Cheese @Mr_Happy and I want it in my stomach now!

And that steak @barca! What cut? What sauce? :heart:

2 Likes

Cumin Spiced Butternut Squash Soup, Drizzled w/Pumpkin Seed Oil, Molé Negro, Crazy Hot Salsa Macha, Creme, Topped w/Cilantro & Pumpkin Seeds

18 Likes

Thanks for the recipe of cappuccino nog! Always like coffee in alcohol drinks and desserts!

1 Like

Good idea with salad, I’ve some duck confit in the freezer, but don’t want to make something too heavy.

1 Like