What's for Dinner #64 - This Year's Almost Over, Thank Goodness! Edition - December 2020

Actually I have foie gras in the fridge, but bought some duck liver mousse instead (which was closed to the taste of foie gras), as it was a first time, I wasn’t sure if I want to invest foie gras when I could fail miserably… :smile:

3 Likes

I haven’t tasted it before yesterday, but it’s really good, it’s better to divide into 2 days to be less stressful, or start from early morning. Cooled meat is easier to envelop with pastry, as all the juice has come out after the meat is browned.

3 Likes

Post pics!

They are a real pleaser. Even people that do not normally eat Brussels Sprouts love 'em. And why not? There’s bacon, bourbon, and brown sugar!

2 Likes

What are the dishes @Barca?

Yep, in the US we are all “don’t tell me what to do” cowboys. Sometimes I really wish we were not such caricatures.

3 Likes

@gcaggiano could you please re-post the recipe? I’ve got B sprouts for my NY Day meal, and I recently bought some 4 Roses, so this sounds up my alley!

4 Likes

Half day at work (me and the CEO physically in the office, and most who have been WFH took the day off anyway).

Crazy. Even for a half day.
Of course.
Year-end “This has gotta happen NOW!”

Off until Monday.
When it starts up again for the new year.
Stop the merry-go-round! I wanna get off!

Homemade-ish pizza.

Store-bought dough for crust, pressed out very thinly.

Sauce was tomato sauce, tomato paste, dried oregano and basil, and some grated Parm-Reg.

Toppings were spinach, proscuitto and grated mozz.

Into a preheated 450° oven onto a pizza stone for 9 minutes.

Dinnah. With wine.
Because.
I don’t need a reason after this year of years.

22 Likes

Curried rice in the InstaPot (another gadget adoption). Spicy and comforting. Goan Masala spiced.

14 Likes

Still hacking away at the holiday ham, a country French classic = Jambon Chablisienne = ham in a shallot, tomato, cream, Chablis sauce.

18 Likes

Looks beautiful. I’d never heard of this dish before but now I am drooling over it and want to try it immediately.

3 Likes

Me too.

1 Like

Things have been getting dull, so I decided to mix it up with pizza rolls, which I was sure were a thing. Focaccia dough, topped up with roasted pepp, caramelized onion, crumbled pepperoni, and olices. Rolled, sliced, and baked. Topped with cheese and broiled. They were a hit, but SO filling. Simple side salad, not pictured.

It seems like a celery diet is imminent. The Covid 19 is as real as the freshman 15!

15 Likes

I’m in a frying frenzy. Plantain and cod fish cakes.

17 Likes

Looks & sounds delish… Recipe?

Dim Sim in bamboo basket were filled with prawns.

A blue rare steak next to it which was ordered by a colleague.

A soup which had prawns and a variety of marine type greens.

Various desserts which our colleagues ordered …

Wraps ( filling was duckling).

The red tuna tartare was our´s …

6 Likes

I’m home alone this week (WHAAAT?! you say… I have taken a lot of grief for the decision not to join the rest for a week in the desert with a pool, but I think it’s the right call for all the adults).

Food was weird first half - it’s hard to plan for 1 after many months of constantly taking many into account.

I’m hitting my stride for the last few days.

Tonight: Fish pie! I have been craving this all year. I used a leftover piece of yellowtail I had frozen (for fish cakes, but this was so much better), some hefty scallops that had been made for me but I forgot to eat, and fresh shrimp that was the only protein Whole Foods actually delivered today from my entire order :woman_facepalming:t2:. Seafood stock made early in the week from lobster and shrimp shells I had saved in the freezer - so intense! Truffled mash on top because I was feeling splurgy.

So delicious, and I have half left for another day.

Arugula salad when the second round of groceries arrived, which was halfway through dinner.

I also made some pancakes for my first-ever solo NYE dinner (really… it’s going to be interesting…) which will be Peking duck breast. Got the fixings today - scallions and real Hoisin (not the WF gook), plus a few more bits. Will marinate the duck breast and let the skin dry out in the fridge overnight.

Used an interesting technique for the pancakes - a batter is painted onto a nonstick pan (I used a carbon steel crepe pan) to just cover it, then peeled off when cooked. Another time I might make them like crepes, using a thinner batter.

Also planning to make the griddled version where two pancakes are rolled out and cooked together, then peeled apart.

Might introduce scallions into the dough, though it will make it tougher to roll out, so maybe not. Addictive scallion condiment instead, perhaps.

18 Likes

It WILL be! I haven’t done it solo yet, but I usually have to wake the hubs up to have someone to join me.

Is there a flaked fish in the arugula salad?

1 Like

Cheese…

1 Like

Of course!

Jambon Chablisienne / ham in Chablis sauce recipe

3 Likes