What's for Dinner #64 - This Year's Almost Over, Thank Goodness! Edition - December 2020

Once we got a whole Iberian leg for 2 of us. Took us long to finish that whole ham, the end wasn’t as good. It would be nice if we had a party or cut some pieces and keep them in the fridge instead of leaving the leg on the wooden stand for long time.

4 Likes

LENTIL SOUP FROM SCRATCH - MONDAY LUNCH …

13 Likes

Feel like I haven’t seen @RedJim in a while. Hope he’s just on hiatus and we’ll see him again.

8 Likes

I tried reaching out to him but he didn’t respond and that was many weeks ago.

5 Likes

King Felipe VI was tested positive.
I live in Spain !
He was in quarantine - totaly isolated for 14 days …
He gave a public speech on the fact too on Television.

Nice labours on the pastry on the Wellington.

2 Likes

Yes, come to think of it, he has not been on very much in December.

Hope he is well …

Maybe has just been busy with the holidays …

Finally the Wellington night! Thanks to @Lambchop ‘s Wellington beef inspiration a few days ago. Was planning to make it yesterday, everything was ready, but when I took out the defrosted puff pastry, I was disgusted. For no reason the top and bottom layer cracked inside it’s package and one could see the butter layer beneath. It was too late to go to buy another pastry. So I put all the preparations back in the fridge.

H complained about the folding and said it was ugly. I was too lazy to take out my pate en croute book to learn the proper folding.

Basically it was a success, h like his beef bleu, I checked the internal temperature not to exceed 43°C / 110°F. The only problem was the slices was had a lot of juice coming out. I didn’t use foie gras but a duck mousse. I basically used lambchop’s recipe but I like the idea of using filo than crepes. I had no Palma and used pancetta.

Maybe the only thing I’m not too hot is the sauce. I couldn’t have the perfect slice as the meat was sold to me tied up in strings with a think slice of fat, I got rid of everything and the beef was actually 3 slices of meat.

18 Likes

@naf - it’s beautiful and looks delicious! I think you did a great job of folding the pastry over the beef. Sorry you didn’t get more than 3 slices though, because it’s seriously good cold!

@Barca - thanks for the lovely compliment!

2 Likes

I think we’re having kofta kebab!

12 Likes

Leftovers - DH was in charge.

12 Likes

Yayy! kofta kebab, with bulgur for better carbs.

18 Likes

Nice call on the Redbreast- it’s a favorite of mine. Slàinte!

2 Likes

BF once again - Argentine sausages, potato gratin with a bunch of stinky/runny cheeses that needed to be used, and sprouts with bacon and balsamic. simples, tasty.

we’re off to an isolated airbnb house tomorrow on a lake, just an hour away from our home for NYE, for 2 nights. just to be somewhere NOT our apt., for a change. i made a cassoulet-ish dish for tomorrow night’s dinner, and have a tomahawk ribeye steak that we’ll grill for NYE. looking forward to it, and a whole new year!

17 Likes

Thank you!

i think I’m going to try making your bourbon bacon brussels sprouts for NYE!

2 Likes

Gorgeous beef! Did you use puff or pie pastry? Is liver mousse traditional? I thought it was beef, duxelles, and pasty? But I’ve never made nor consumed it.

@Sasha - all butter puff pastry (purchased), and foie gras mousse. I think traditional calls for pate rather than mousse, but we used what we could find at a specialty market near us. It worked well, and was really tasty! But chicken or duck liver pate or mousse could easily be substituted.

2 Likes

Superbly splendid Wellington too.

Maybe I shall tackle for the Epiphany, The 3 Wise Men on the 6th …

My mom does a wonderful one from Gordon Ramsay´s Cookbook … He is a wizard at Wellington. i have also done a fish Wellington with a Red Banded Seabream (úrta from Cadiz, a wild rock fish) … Was quite amazing.

4 Likes

Yeah, looking forward to see your version! I saw many Ramsay recipes online, curious about that too!

1 Like

Ditto

1 Like