What's for Dinner #64 - This Year's Almost Over, Thank Goodness! Edition - December 2020

RESTAURANT LASARTE BARCELONA - Multi Michelin Starred Chef Martin Berasategui.

15 Likes

We made beef bulgogi bowls over quinoa cooked in mushroom broth, topped with pickled carrot, ginger sesame kale slaw, homemade spicy shredded pickled beets and kimchi, and steamed butternut squash with spicy Sichuan black bean sauce. Halloween candy for dessert.

18 Likes

Christina, I am always bowled over by your inventiveness.

6 Likes

Ditto.

2 Likes

This is how they look today. I grow them because I saw a show where they dry them and smoke them on the plant.

This is how they look weeks after picking, and left on the kitchen counter.

11 Likes

Chicken Thighs Marsala with Near East Rice Pilaf and steamed asparagus. Ohhhh, there WAS wine tonight!

17 Likes

Gosh, thank you! Necessity being the mother and all :upside_down_face:

Could you share your GF chapati recipe? Right now I’m using GF tortillas but its just not the same!

Leftover rib eye turned into zhoug tacos for me with cotija, serranos/onion/cilantro and habanero sauce, and “taco” soup with chopped up steak, egg, and rice for the BF. (He’s having dental issues, poor guy.)

16 Likes

Forgot to snap a photo, but dinner tonight was a Southwestern-ish chipotle meatloaf with roasted garlic mashed cauliflower. I had a huge package of meatloaf mix in the freezer so there will be leftovers for days!

6 Likes

Some drinks while decorating the tree. My mom recently found her Cappuccino Egg Nog recipe from the 1980’s that uses Kahlua, and so she made a batch for the first time in forever. It was delicious.

A story about the tree: We bought it pre-lit in 2004 at Wal-Mart for $75. It has been with us for 16 years, two houses, up and down into basements, and in and out of storage sheds. It is battered and bruised, touched up more and more every year. I’m not even sure if any of the original lights still work. We just keep adding a new string of lights every year and try to blend it in. There are probably four or five different sets on there, and miraculously they manage to match. Everyone has their annual Christmas traditions. Me fixing up this now Frankenstein-esque tree is one of them.

Dinner was pizza. I’m starting to appreciate pizza nights for their use of paper plates.

20 Likes

Super duper. Care to share your moms egg nog recipe. If it’s a secret I understand

4 Likes

Curry udon made with chicken, onion, carrot, S&B roux, dashi granules, and frozen udon noodles.

15 Likes

Pretty! What do you do with the smoked ones?

It looks great!

2 Likes

We had almost the same dinner on the same evening.

I had already reheated my Corn & Shrimp Chowder once and because it had cream I feared doing it again. So I just warmed it lightly then folded it into hot Spaghetti and added Sweet Pea Greens, more Corn and Grated Lemon Peel.

14 Likes

Here’s the original:

We have just made note of the fact that you should place a dollop of the fresh whipped cream into each cup after the drink has been poured rather than directly into the bowl before serving. It was quite the mess!

15 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

This looks delicious! I have always loved Kahlua in my eggnog, and now usually just enjoy a White Russian with (commercially prepared) eggnog as the dairy component for a holiday treat. Give it a try when you are too lazy to make it from scratch!

3 Likes

Ooh, that’s a good idea!

1 Like