What's For Dinner #63 - the Giving Thanks Edition - November 2020

Shrimp “my way”. “My”, in this case means Mark Bittman, as this is probably overdone for me, and underdone for husband, and a no go for daughter. But we all like the spices. Olive oil, garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.

13 Likes

A Philly cheesesteak for me too, for dinner. And for dessert a simple peach cobbler. The peaches came out of a can but in my mind they were picked in Georgia :peach: :us:

14 Likes

Fantastic looking . Almost foiled by the broiler. Lol

1 Like

It was good - TJ’s often lets me down on wine, but I have better luck in the $10+ range.

1 Like

I agree. I’ve made some spectacularly terrible TJ’s wine purchases in the under $10 range!

1 Like

Made a quick Rick Bayless recipe for jalapeño baked fish. Starts with a layer of potatoes (I added some sautéed onions too), topped with fish (we used cod, but I think halibut would be better), and a sauce of fire roasted potatoes, pickled jalapeños and some pickling juice, cilantro, seasoning (I used salt, pepper, a bit of cumin, and lime juice). Bake at 400 for 20 mins. Salad was shaved fennel, carrots, watercress, cilantro (dressed with oj, evoo, salt, pepper, cayenne, cumin).

15 Likes

Early meal in anticipation of late night victory gathering.

Chicken and rice soup, brioche loaf.

14 Likes

Did you mean fire roasted tomatoes? Looks wonderful, and you could use the sauce on lots of different meats.

1 Like

There is a roast beef in the slow cooker right now for tonight. The house smells amazing. And there is champagne chilling, let me tell you!

20201107_120126

18 Likes

bought some for celebration tonight! day celebrating with Mumm Brut Rose now! :smile:

4 Likes

Celebration meal here as well. Jamaican jerk chicken in honor of MADAME Vice President elect!

11 Likes

Tomato, Tomato,

Yes, i prefer it actually. An experiment I tried from an Italian recipe …

Let me know how it goes. I too used to put the Boletus or other foraged mushrooms in the rice until I had it served this way at an Italian ristorante !!!

My dear and I were quite pleased with the outcome !!!

Let me know how it goes …

We had seared T-bones (DH overcooked but oh well - he insisted on thawing by sous vide and it turned to cooking). Sides were green salad with fig balsamic vinaigrette and broccoli cheese.

16 Likes

That loaf though :heart_eyes:

I went with an easy and tasty celebratory meal: lime and pepper seared scallops, Basmati rice, and green beans.

There was wine. LOTS of wine! And I’m happier than I’ve been in a long time.

18 Likes

Roast beef, mashed potatoes, and Pecorino roasted green beans. A rich gravy of beef broth, drippings, red wine, and herbs. The key to this was a coating of the beef in flour before searing on all sides in butter and into the slow cooker for eight hours. BF also made cast iron skillet biscuits from scratch which totally put this meal over the top. A wonderful and joyous night which included several champagne toasts.

20 Likes

Marinated chicken leg and thigh in white wine with herbs de Provence. Shallot, potato, country ham . Mix of a small amount of brandy and walnut dijon . Cheers .

14 Likes

Yup.

Thank you. It slices beautifully; very buttery on its own. Next time, I will let the softened butter really incorporate before chilling so it doesn’t burst while baking. This is an Erin McDowell (baker, cookbook author) recipe posted on Food52, including a video.

Our friends invited us over for a fabulous socially distanced dinner. It was our first time over their home in 9 months. We enjoyed duck with roasted asparagus in smoked olive oil, and excellent crispy hash brown waffles; huge U8 dayboat scallops with capers butter and wine; rice and lentils with fennel, tomatoes, celery, cilantro and a creamy 144 degree sous vide egg; Harvest cheese soup with pureed apples and celery, among other vegetables; warm spinach salad with crispy bacon; cranberry, jalapeno, cream cheese crostini; cranberry panna cotta. We had some amazing wines and bourbon as well.

15 Likes