What's For Dinner #63 - the Giving Thanks Edition - November 2020

Love the retro cocktail glasses @Saregama!

1 Like

Thanks @Saregama! He is still in the early ‘friends and family’ stages and working on getting a website up and running. He just setup a Venmo account. Right now he is sending out weekly emails on Tuesdays with orders expected to be placed by Thursday for Sunday delivery. I have to check with him to see if he will be doing any NY deliveries or just sticking with local NJ counties for now. So far the Shrimp Etoufee and pork tenderloin have been my favorites. His other entrees were priced at $10.

3 Likes

Brisket is one of the harder meats to get right on a smoker, imo. What exactly are you looking for in terms of texture and smoke level?

I have a bunch of friends in NJ too, depending on where. It’s good that he’s starting small and figuring it out. Pricing is great, and food looks very good!

1 Like

Pizza night. I felt a little bad bc it was H’s homemade crust, and he is not around to eat it. Oh well. Onions, olives, prosciutto. 1/2 tomato sauce (me) and fresh tomatoes, 1/2 pesto (for the cooked tomato hater). My people pleaser child had some of each.

13 Likes

When we had a sheepdog, I would pull the plastic bag off a black dress just home from the cleaners and, shooooosh, white hair would come out of nowhere and turn my dress grey.

4 Likes

We live with two Australian Shepherds. Dog hair is like glitter in our house!

2 Likes

Our French bulldog sheds more than the cat and he hardly has any hair. I don’t know where it all comes from :slightly_smiling_face: We had to get light colored furniture so they hair doesn’t show as much.

Love those glasses! Yours, or the Airbnb’s?

Craving that Japanese Eggplant!

2 Likes

Not so simple…looks like i would need two plates!

1 Like

With brisket we like a light to medium smokiness, with moist meat, and the resulting delicious fatty unctuousness. With our attempts, it seems the fat leaches out, leaving the meat slightly dry, @biondanonima.

I can have the same type of outcomes with lamb shanks too.

2 Likes

Yes, I have had that happen with brisket as well. I would suggest trying an even lower temperature - no higher than 200. It will take a bit longer but IMO the results are a lot better. I often give meats a few hours of smoke late in the evening, then put them in a 190-200 oven overnight (say from 11pm to 8am). This has given me the most reliably good results with brisket (works perfectly on pork shoulder too). Also, make sure to look for a really nicely marbled brisket when you buy meat - it can be hard to see it through the cryovac sometimes, but there is no substitute for internal marbling.

4 Likes

Thanks for your advice @biondanonima - will give that a try next time. I hear you on the internal marbling too.

A pet owning school friend’s mother swept the floor, took the sweepings to her home furnishings store and told them “I want carpeting THIS color.

4 Likes

Too funny @pilgrim! Having lived with cats, dogs and a bird, I’ve come to conclude birds “shed” the most. Not talking about seed scatter, but scales, fluff and feathers. I do miss our little bird, though.

1 Like

House ground meat using part of a brisket point, and a chuck roast. Sooo good.

12 Likes

@Lambchop - perfect. Drooling here.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what to call this technique but it’s the easiest, most fool proof way to handle salmon. Heavily salt with kosher salt a slab of salmon. Let it hang in the fridge for an hour ish. Rinse. Bake at 350 till 115-120. Perfect ever time.

Topped with mushrooms. Sides of lentils with various onions, garlic etc and broccoli. Also cucumber salad.

9 Likes

Groin pull/bar stool story.

I played a lot of sports in my younger days and beat the crap out of my body. There were a couple of hamstring pulls among various injuries but was able to tape them up tight and still perform.

I pulled a groin badly and that sucker took about 8 weeks to heal.

Before we got married the Wifeacita and I were in New Orleans at the “Famous Door” on Bourbon Street listening to good live music. We’d been drinking all day and about 3 am she comes over, says she loves me and barley touches me and I crash to the ground off the tiny barstool.

Torn ACL.

I can barely walk and she wants to stay in the room. No way. I buy some crutches and head to Pat Obrien’s for hurricane therapy relief. We took cabs the whole time so there was no drinking and driving.

Here is what happens to a normal person with good insurance not named Tom Brady or any other athlete. They know virtually immediately the extent of the injury. It took three weeks to schedule a Dr. visit, MRI, having it read, and follow up visit.

I enjoyed the time off work and I quickly fabricated a story a day after the “accident” about a drunken guy on a bicycle running me over on Bourbon Street. The work people bought it hook, line, and sinker.

9 Likes