What's For Dinner #63 - the Giving Thanks Edition - November 2020

I used to drink a lot of Crane Lake Merlot and Sangiovese, I’ll have to try their Petit Syrah.

2 Likes

Always best to grind your own unless you have a great butcher shop but those are a rarity in my neck of the woods. And I’d just soon do it myself

1 Like

Truly @Scubadoo97 - will have to do it more often!

AirBNB. Pretty sure they’re ikea - have bought similar there with a friend a couple of years ago.

1 Like

love it! glad you muscled through.

turns out i have a tear too, but a small one. arthro surgery in my future, but not while this surge is going on. Doc said i could wait. Wish my story was as colorful as yours. i probably did it swinging my leg over the dog gate at my sister’s instead of opening. arf.

1 Like

Another simples dinner - trying to use up leftovers. Guisado de pollo, with last night’s chicken. Also, green beans, taters, red bell pepper, cabbage, leeks, red onion, cilantro, tomato paste, dried chili flakes, green olives. Homemade chicken broth, cumin, smoked paprika, bay leaf, oregano. Leftover rice. And the last of the homemade corn tortilla fried into strips. Big salad with avocado.

10 Likes

More mediocre takeout, Vietnamese tonight. Actually, my cha gio were decent. The rest was just average.

I made cocktails for the other adults again, sweet lime and ginger old fashioneds this time.

BUT. The BEST part of my night was a glass of sweet lime and orange juice (Ganga Jamuna is its official name) - one of the food highlights of my India trips usually.

I hand-squeezed a bunch of sweet limes and added a couple of clementines into the mix until it tasted right - hand meaning no citrus juicer or reamer even :joy:. Worth it. Still deciding whether to share… :thinking:

13 Likes

You might be waiting quite awhile the way things are going. Maybe you’ll be good after a few months. I wouldn’t get surgery unless totally necessary. You’re never the same afterward.

On my ACL, you know there is an issue when you have to physically lift the leg off the gas pedal and put it on the brakes. This went on for the 350 miles to Houston. Since I was no longer active in sports we elected for no surgery. That knee was replaced 20 years later, along with a hip.

4 Likes

Beautiful little lamb roast around 2 pounds . Roasted at 400 . Good but not enough lamb funk for me . Cheers .

16 Likes

They use the point! Jk. I don’t know what they do, but that’s what I do.:blush:

2 Likes

I had what I think was a miraculous recovery! Two weeks ago I thought I would never walk again and told workplace I needed a wheelchair and handicapped parking, and now I’m wondering why I bought crutches, a boot and a “peg leg”. I sent back the scooter. The “peg leg” thing is really ingenious, if anyone wants details.

Fingers crossed; hope I didn’t jinx myself.

9 Likes

Italian “Bangers and Mash”? BF’s famous sausage and peppers with my Parmesan garlic mashed (because we didn’t feel like sandwiches or pasta).

15 Likes

You are correct! The point is usually fattier, thus it stays juicier! I’ve smoked a whole brisket at 250 & the point was great. The flat was ok, but not as good as the point… :yum:

1 Like

Lol. I like the point too - it makes the best chopped brisket! But it is always tempting to grind it instead since it also makes fabulous burgers. First world problems!

1 Like

That looks so good! Could you be persuaded to share your recipes? Thanks!

1 Like

Ha - I’ll try that next time @shrinkrap!

@emglow101, I’m one to like the lamb funk too. Your roast looks perfect, otherwise.

1 Like

very interested in a link to order from your friend’s new business. please share when available. thanks.

I will ask the BF. But he does not use a recipe! Will try to get it as close as possible for you.

1 Like

Your canapés give me ideas! Since a few days, I make some simple ones everyday other day in the early evening, sometimes with a drink. Can’t cook with an empty stomach. Usually some type of pesto or tomato confit with some Pata negra.