What's For Dinner #63 - the Giving Thanks Edition - November 2020

Pizza night. Its our favorite and normally an hour round trip turned into a two hour trip because of a bad accident on the parkway. One with “The Works”, the other with mushrooms and onion. There will be leftovers.

IMG_20201119_190142_395

There were gin and Lillet martinis.

16 Likes

That looks like a very fine pizza @gcaggiano. Gin sounds good too!

2 Likes

Tonight was a simple dinner: TJs Burrata, Corn & Basil raviolis with a white wine-lemon cream sauce.

There was wine alongside. Had to finish the bottle, and all that. Right? :wink:

17 Likes

I made chicken in black bean sauce with snow peas and carrots, over leftover cauli rice. Side of baby bok choy with sweet soy, butter, and black vinegar.

PXL_20201119_232333806.NIGHT

14 Likes

A frittata with onions and potato and cheese. Every once in a while.

If I’m doing potatoes, I might as well have sour cream.

19 Likes

Well, that lasagna last night took out my tummy as soon as it reached it… 5 mins after I ate.

So today I’m drinking tea and eating toast and rice. No potatoes (my tummy-off favorite) because we are out of the potatoes that I keep ordering and other people keep using up and not reordering because… they don’t eat potatoes? Sorry, bit snippy.

I spent some of the day making my thanksgiving must-haves to freeze and carry to the rental place we are spending next week at. A bit more thought because I made it all vegetarian to be inclusive (even though I’ll most likely be the only one eating any of it… but older kid might want a taste).

So, two kinds of stuffing - in ball form for maximum crunchy bits (the convenient Stovetop I thought was vegetarian had hidden chicken in the ingredient list, so I made a whole second lot from scratch), vegetarian gravy that’s really delicious, and a white gravy (called bread sauce) that’s British not American, but we always have it whenever there is turkey and definitely at thanksgiving (it’s full of butter and cream so what’s not to like).

For the protein, I cooked chicken breasts and chicken thighs sous vide with herbs and butter, and have frozen them. Perfect for the day of - thighs - and leftovers/sandwiches - breasts. Turkey is my least favorite part of the thanksgiving meal, so I’m happy with the substitution.

Also started some no-knead bread to take along.

Back to tonight. Indian night, I made green beans for everyone else but I didn’t take a pic before they were eaten. I nibbled on tempered rice (bad description would be indian fried rice - tempering spices, onion, a bit of tomato, some chilli) that I made earlier - simple but tasty for this kind of situation.

13 Likes

I hope you’re feeling better soon.

I often make stuffing in muffin tins for extra crispiness. A Black Friday favorite is stuffing waffles. Lots of crispy nooks and crannies.

5 Likes

I couldn’t resist lasagna either :rofl:

Today I sous vided salmon with herbs and lemon and grilled it a bit. With rice :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

With weather getting chilli at this time of year there is only one thing that hits the spot for me.

English pork pies with mustard. Yes. Although they are normally eaten cold, i like mine hot from the oven.
I have made a tutorial for anyone interested in indulging.

6 Likes

What a great idea!
For years I roasted chestnuts, fried sausage & spent hours making stuffing.
Then my mother discovered StoveTop on a lark; and I hate to say but we confirmed cook-from-scratch cooks have been using it ever since.
I’ll often add fried onions and a little sausage only at Thanksgiving, but I must admit this stuff is great and is one of the very few items I use ready-made.
I just LOVE your idea of making balls so that all can enjoy the crunchiness of the stuffing. Think I may try this myself. :+1:

1 Like

Having grown up on labor intensive made from scratch stuffing, we now rely on, DEMAND, Pepperidge Farms cornbread stuffing mix. Celery, onion and home made chicken stock -> what we all look forward to. That plus LOTS of gravy. Hold the turkey.

3 Likes

Pepperidge Farms herb seasoned stuffing mix is the base for my recipe (based on my mom’s). sausage, apple, onions, celery, etc. It wouldn’t be thanksgiving without it.

3 Likes

re additions to stuffing mixes, we were originally introduced to Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing as the backbone of a so-called “Swedish stuffing” = PFCS + onions, celery, raisins, walnuts and chicken broth. Was excellent and the household go-to until we cut the raisins and nuts to please the youngest diners.

2 Likes

Welcome to the WFD group, @Hh_Jjfoodlover!

1 Like

Busy day, and a big lunch from the local Chinese restaurant for our Friday company lunch. I wasn’t hungry until late.

So dinner was easy-peasy: some shaved steak sauteed with sliced mushrooms and previously caramelized onions, with some grated Manchego cheese on top for a nice cheesesteak sandwich on a bulkie roll.

Wine.

And I’m off for the holiday week, but will have to go in for an hour or so to deposit checks on Tuesday morning and grab a laptop to send to a new employee starting the following week. Will only be 4 people out of the 7 usually in the office during the pandemic, so I should get in and out relatively unscathed.

13 Likes

Enjoy your time off. I expect to see lots of yummy dinners.

1 Like

Chorizo & potato tacos. We still had homemade tortillas left, and chorizo I picked up from the same place i bought the masa. Chorizo cooked with fried potatoes, red onion, and cilantro. Topped with crema, cotija w/loroco, and pickled veg. Tortillas heated up great, almost as good as when I made them, 5 days ago. Big green salad with a cuminy/oregano vinaigrette.

15 Likes

Sausage roll with some HP brown sauce and Henderson’s relish. And some peas (not pictured).

11 Likes

Christina is that what it’s called at the store? Or do you cure it yourself? What would I look for if I was looking? I like the idea of a leaner bacon that can be used like a bacon or a ham in cooking.

1 Like

Yours sounds wayyy better, but the memories and picture alone have me missing a good roast beef from harrison’s growing up! Stay safe Linda!

1 Like