BRITISH - Fall 2020 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter

Roast beef, gravy, Yorkshire pudding, and unpictured peas, jacket potatoes (aka baked potatoes), green salad and rolls.

12 Likes

That looks so damn good @Phoenikia! Love the Yorkies, the fam, for the most part don’t…

2 Likes

Scotch broth…long simmered lamb, veg (carrots, onions, garlic, swedes, mushroom, potato), barley.
A heart and soul warming bowl.

10 Likes

Attempted this recipe tonight, with haddock and shrimp. I need a little more practice shallow frying, but it tasted good.

Won’t bother posting the photo- my fish fillets fell apart. Nice batter.

3 Likes

I want to make a Battenburg cake.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jan/14/how-to-make-the-perfect-battenberg-cake

2 Likes

I made some sausage rolls for dinner. Or I should say assembled, as I used frozen puff pastry (Pepperidge Farm) and store-bought breakfast sausage.

13 Likes

I am planning to make Toad in the Hole with leftover roast beef tonight
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/feb/06/how-cook-perfect-toad-in-the-hole

4 Likes

ATHOLE BROSE, a Scotch and oatmeal based cockle warmer for Christmas and New Year’s Eve.

Soak 1 cup oatmeal in 2 cups water overnight. Strain and mix with 1 cup warmed honey, 2 cups heavy cream, 2 cups Scotch whisky. Serve either hot or chilled.

“Nollaig chridheil agus bliadhna mhath ur”

7 Likes

I should have been more clear. Mix the STRAINED LIQUID with the honey, cream and scotch.

2 Likes

That sounds odd to me but with that much Scotch how can it be bad? Although too sweet for my taste. Have you had it before?

Think of Drambuie + cream. Of course you can cut the amount of honey to taste.

Great descriptor, thank you, that definitely gives me a very clear idea what it tastes like. And of course, I always cut sweeteners by half or more to suit my taste. Good thing I don’t bake, I know that would often be problematic.

Chicken, ham hock and leek pie. With roasted carrots and broccoli. I would like to take credit but it was all the work of the missus.

9 Likes

Your missus rocks!

1 Like

Classic, Chris, classic.

Our use-up of the turkey will also be pie, involving mushrooms, leek, cream and whatever else seems right. It’s a recipe from St Delia Smith from her Christmas cookbook from 1990

7 Likes

@Harters “St Delia Smith”… Nice. I feel the same way about her.

1 Like

Is this the recipe you use? Sounds great!

1 Like

I made a lobster, scallop, haddock and cod fish pie, without eggs, based on this recipe for Xmas Eve.

We are having a plum pudding with brandy butter and caramel sauce tonight, after our Xmas duck (more of a German duck, with Silesian potato dumplings from a mix, American-style bread/mushroom/apple/celery/sage stuffing, raspberry red cabbage, lingonberries from a jar, and salad).

3 Likes

No.

She’s updated her recipe from her original book and now has individual pies, rather than a single large one but you’ll get the idea

2 Likes

Looks great - thanks!