What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

The good news is you’re not far behind the Eagles in the NFC East.

1 Like

Yeah we were joking about it yesterday if we won we were tied for first!

Now that’s what I call a birthday dinner. Happy birthday wishes to Mrs. P!

1 Like

That’s awesome.

1 Like

Nice celebration!

1 Like

Thanks @NotJrvedivici, @Rooster, and @tomatotomato! I will convey the birthday wishes to Mrs. P.
Yes, everything was delicious and the wines were excellent.

Bob, I love your outdoor man cave and that was quite a spread.

5 Likes

Please pass along my birthday wishes to Mrs P as well! Looks like a great dinner you had @paryzer.

1 Like

Your outdoor man cave looks fabulous! That will be a great tradition and memories for all of you @NotJrvedivici.

1 Like

@Auspicious, the trick for me with pastry involves 3 things only. Very well chilled pastry dough, a pastry cloth and rolling pin cover. I can roll out amazingly thin pastry. The pastry cloth needs to be well floured, especially at first.

2 Likes

While I do not possess your skill at rolling out pastry, I have a low-end trick that works for me. I roll out dough on a piece of parchment paper with a piece of cling wrap (BPA-free) on top. That way I can get the dough thinner than I could using a rolling pin alone. No extra flour needed.

Either I can bake on the parchment or use it to lift the dough for my intended application. I discard the cling wrap, of course.

3 Likes

That is a very clever idea @tomatotomato! I’ll make an oil crust from time to time, for single crust pies only. I roll it between the 2 waxed sides of waxed paper. I have to work quickly, and the dough doesn’t stand up to fancy edgings. But it’s fast, and good for cream, and fresh strawberry pies, and the like. Also extremely flaky, and doesn’t get soggy at all.

2 Likes

So I discovered this morning that what I’ve had in the past at restaurants and what I’ve made before was the Thai version - khao man gai - and hence the not-chilled chicken. I do prefer the hot version, but understand from a Chinese friend that it’s what you grew up with.

this morning’s bfast:

12 Likes

those look perfect!

1 Like

hah - FFS: For Eff’s Sake.

3 Likes

I finally made dinner tonight after the crappiest week of my life. My wonderful, charming, extraordinarily happy father passed away on Tuesday. It feels surreal. He hasn’t been doing great the last couple weeks but I really had no idea how bad things were. I made something mindless that I didn’t eat much anyway. Hopefully my appetite will return soon.

14 Likes

Oh no. I am sorry to read this.

8 Likes

I am so sorry to read this. May his memory be a blessing.

2 Likes

Eat something in his honor.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss @gracieggg.

1 Like

Oh, @gracieggg I am so sorry for your loss. Your beloved father sounds like a true treasure.

Peace and light to you and all in your circle.

2 Likes