What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

recipe please.

It was good to be back in the kitchen after five days away!

Today would have been grandma’s 92nd birthday, so we celebrated with Indian food, which she loved. She was always very ahead of her time in regards to food. Being from a large Italian family, she got bored with the same standard meals over and over again. She ate Mexican food years before it was popular, back in the 1950s and 60s. My age group right now probably cannot comprehend a time when Mexican or even Tex-Mex food was not commonplace. She also cooked curries for years and loved going to Indian restaurants. BF made this butter chicken from scratch. No simmer sauce helper here. This recipe was different though, calling for coconut milk instead of cream and the addition of cashews and a spritz of lime juice (which really made a difference). Best from-scratch Indian food we’ve had in this house.

On the side: I couldn’t find the recipe I use for crispy chili chana (an Indian-Asian dish) so I made my own version with slightly different ingredients. One thing was the same: coating the chick peas in corn starch and frying them. They are then given a toss in sautéed onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, garam masala, Chinese chili-bean sauce (the key ingredient in my version), ketchup, and a chopped chili pepper from the garden (plus another to garnish). I must say this was even better, spicier, and less work…though not by much!

19 Likes

those are both beautiful dishes! and would have made your grandmother very happy, i’m sure.

1 Like

Hainanese chicken tonight. I’ve made this before but looked at a different recipe this time, which has you give the chicken an ice bath after it’s cooked, and doesn’t have you heat it up again! Big mistake. Even if you’re pouring hot broth on it at the table, it’s just not warm enough, and the boiled skin especially must be hot, in my opinion.

The ginger sauce, however, was amazing! gingery and garlicky, it went on everything, but was especially great with the garlicky, gingery, chicken-brothy rice. The other sauce was good too, sriracha-based. GINGER GINGER GINGER. Love it.

Cucumber dressed in rice wine vinegar, thai bird chilis, sugar, cilantro, and garlic.

17 Likes

Oh, yum!!

1 Like

Thanks for asking!
It varies. The filling is usually a variation on one from Serious Eats,

but this time I started out with one from Immaculate/African Bites , which is simpler. I came back to the Serious Eats recipe.

The real issue is often the pastry which i rarely make myself. This time I used wholly wholesome, which i had in the freezer, but I usually use Saltena empanada wrappers. This is a picture with the Saltena wrapper.

956b99c4fe76a21833848877231f03ed16159f3a_2_1400x1050|700x525

13 Likes

We had an excellent dinner at Bistro D’Azur with our friends to celebrate the fabulous Mrs. P’s 62nd birthday. We enjoyed an excellent duck confit salad, lobster crepe, octopus, black bass filet, duck breast, and lamb rib chops. We had some excellent red wines to go with the dinner.

17 Likes

they sell saltena wrappers right by my house so i really need to make something like this. or saltenas, FFS, since they are the food of my people!

1 Like

I want to be your peeps! What is FFS?

I believe there are two kinds; one for baking, and one for frying. This is the one I use.

la-salte-a-tapas-para-empanadas-4-paquetes-de-20-unidades-15¹

3 Likes

Couple of margarita pies. Made dough yesterday and let it rest in the frig overnight. Had some nice buffalo mozzarella and a few basil leaves from the garden.

16 Likes

And late night oysters aguachile

14 Likes

Our simple Sunday supper featured CSA vegetables.

Here’s a potato and leek gratin I made ahead, alongside tomato wedges dressed in olive oil and basil. Garnished with a couple thin slices of speck.

17 Likes

I’ve made the pastry for a number of similar foods. The pastry is easy. The rolling continues to defy me. Marble rolling pins chilled, frozen, refrigerated - wooden pins - empty wine bottles (no kidding - that was how I was taught in the Bahamas) just can’t get them even or thin enough.

It is interesting how many cultures have such similar dishes. From Creole meat patties to Cornish pasties to a myriad of Asian dumplings.

5 Likes

That duck and lamb look fantastic!! Please extend to Mrs. P a very happy and more importantly HEALTHY 62nd!! Stay safe friends.

1 Like

Yesterday was a bit of a celebration of the completion of the “outdoor man cave”. Since I pretty much expected the NFL to cancel (initially I thought the season) attendance to games, I knew my son and I wouldn’t be able to get attend a home game this year. I couldn’t let the tradition we have shared since he was 5 just go away, so I decided to do the next best thing. Welcome to our open air football Sunday experiences where we will watch the remaining games (weather permitting) outside the comfort of our home.

So yesterday was wings and sliders (and a small personal charcuterie board for my daughter because…well because she’s my daughter!) for the boys dining al’ fresco. Beautiful day for some football, not such a good day if you are a Giants fan. {{sigh}} (salads and burgers were store bought, excellent chicken sliders from local market)

22 Likes

The good news is you’re not far behind the Eagles in the NFC East.

1 Like

Yeah we were joking about it yesterday if we won we were tied for first!

Now that’s what I call a birthday dinner. Happy birthday wishes to Mrs. P!

1 Like

That’s awesome.

1 Like

Nice celebration!

1 Like