What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

Now this sounds wonderful and perfect for the seasonal weather we are now having.

Thank you for posting your recipe.

I love monkfish which we call "Rapé " (pronounced RA PAY) …

I love sleeping in.

The boyz, however, take great affront to my wishes and chose to try to wake me up multiple times this morning from 7 a.m. on to serve breakfast to their fuzzy butts.

I am, after all, their servant, first and foremost. Despite having an automatic dry crunchy food dropper serve them at 8 a.m. Ohhh, NOOO. That won’t do for their highnesses. They want what they want when they want it. And that is usually NEEEOOOWWW! With a scratch at the covers or a pat on my nose.

So an early afternoon nap was in order before the Pats/Niners game. The Pats look like they think it’s the Year 2000 PB. I turned it off at the half. Looks like I didn’t miss anything. Pffffttt. It was a nice 20 years while it lasted.

Dinner was country-style pork ribs, cooked low and slow in the oven, bathed with TJs Brown Sugar BBQ sauce in the last hour.

Roasted Herbs de Provence potatoes and steamed broccoli alongside, with some wine.

And the boyz had better let me sleep in tomorrow as I have nowhere I need to be! (Wishful thinking, that)

15 Likes

Shrimp treated with some of my favorite things (butter, garlic, onion, parsley, lemon, dry vermouth). I made scallops like this a couple weeks ago, but these were much better.

15 Likes

A bit of catching up after a long week. This weekend was lots of baking and freezer stock up.

Kielbasa and onions, with veggie couscous.

Ina’s updated spinach artichoke dip, Caesar salad with left over fried chicken bits. The dip is in her new book and was really good.

Also made Ina’s chicken pot pie soup to deliver to the folks. Kept two servings for us. This was delicious. A few puff pastry crouton toppers.

Today was day one of a sourdough loaf, so yesterday I used a bit of the discard to make sourdough cinnamon buns. KA recipe. A little drizzle of sour cream frosting finishes them off. Had one today and loaded the rest into the freezer.

17 Likes

Thank you!
I love your pasta dish with caviar and Champagne.
Take care and stay safe!

Tonight we took the tunnels through Manhattan into Queens to dine at iconic red sauce Italian restaurant Parkside with some friends. We enjoyed broiled double cut Colorado lamb chops; whole branzino; crispy veal cutlet special; chicken; hot cherry peppers; octopus; shrimp and green bean salad; jumbo lump crab cocktail; arugula salad; soppressata and cheese, and excellent pork rolls to start.

14 Likes

I am not a baker, but these baguettes turned out absolutely wonderful. Super crunchy outside, but not roof-of-mouth ripping. Followed this very easy recipe (link down below), introduced by someone in our FB food group. I did buy a special contraption for the bread a couple weeks ago, and it worked great, but you don’t need it. AND i did buy the wrong flour for the bread, and it didn’t matter (should have been bread flour instead of AP.) These are perfect baguettes!

We devoured one, before, during and after dinner. The recipe makes four thin baguettes, which I’m sure we’ll go through in no time.

We could have eaten just bread and butter for dinner, but I had a pork chop I’d brined overnight in buttermilk, garlic, spices, herbs, then rubbed with a bourbon smoked paprika, habanero sugar, fennel pollen, and some other stuff. We split that, still plenty left over. Cauli was roasted with indian-ish spices (turmeric, cumin, ground ginger, etc.), tossed with cilantro. Also, salad with ranch dressing i made with the leftover buttermilk, mayo, garlic, scallions, and a mix of fresh and dried herbs.

baguettes 1

baguette tray

13 Likes

Made pizza dough yesterday. Tonight I used it for a flatbread, and while not photogenic, it was delicious. Toppings were roasted delicata squash, spicy salami, buffalo mozzarella, red pepper flakes, oregano, parmesan, and olive oil. And wine.

14 Likes

I envy your dining experiences. We live on outermost Cape Cod. Many restaurants aren’t open, even seasonal ones. Becoming tired of cooking for ourselves, but that’s going to continue for quite awhile.

4 Likes

Tonight was a solo fry fest for me.

I’ve been craving some indian street snacks. This evening I made batatavada - potato balls / fritters - in the style of my great aunt who was famous for them (she snuck them into the hospital after someone had a heart attack… you know, for everyone else, and maybe the patient would be hungry too).

Boiled, mashed potato spiced with onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, cumin, coriander, and fresh herbs. Then dipped in seasoned chickpea flour batter and fried. So. Very. Delicious. And reminded me (happily) of my great aunt and my grandmother too - they were very close all their lives.

Since I had started down the deep frying path, I also decided to try my hand at jalebis - a skinny, crisp indian version of funnel cake if I must describe it that way, even though they are nothing alike in flavor or texture, lol. I had seen a recipe from someone, so I cut it back to a quarter, used a small ziplock bag for the batter - which was only a semi-disaster. Surprisingly the results were pretty good - I’ll try a real (yeasted) recipe next weekend, but these were polished off when everyone else got home.

A pretty good Sunday night nosh, though not particularly healthy.

17 Likes

They looked splendid! Especially with AP flour.

4 Likes

Wonderful! These food makes one happy.

1 Like

Weird days. My birthday reservation is cancelled by the restaurant, they told me they have to close for the next 2 weeks due to a staff getting covid. There is now rumour circulating that soon we will have a complete lock down like in spring. I just sent H out to a lab to get tested, just in case. He has been sicked for a week with bad flu symptoms.

Prawn risotto

Sardine and goat cheese on puffy pastry

Charred cabbage with cauliflower miso purée and anchovy butter

Simple veal stew, kind of blanquette de veau quick version

Saltimbocca with garden rhubarb. Rhubarb in autumn is a hit and miss, some they tasted fine, others were tasteless or even bitter.

Lacquered spare ribs, roasted sweet potatoes

Stirred fry beef, bean sprouts with rice noodle

Goat cheese and fresh herbs babka

Mackerel with mustard and cream

Swordfish with ginger garlic butter and some mashed pepper olive bruschetta

22 Likes

I used Dijon mustard for cooking as well, especially pork dishes (especially the delicious palette de porc à la diable from Alsace) or the mackerel recipe in my last post, but I usually use Maille mustard when cooking. The delicate Fallot mustard, I use it for finishing, to serve with meat, vegetables, or as salad dressing.

snapshotimagehandler_126786066

6 Likes

Everything looks wonderful. I am most intrigued by the sardine tart. Are those fresh sardines? If so, did you precook them before putting them one the tart? I have canned sardines but love fresh (or more often frozen) but have access to them very easily.

1 Like

Yes, the sardines were fresh. This time I cooked the puff pastry with tomato sauce for 15 minutes in the oven, I added the sardine and the goat cheese for an additional 6-7 minutes. Lemon confit added after the cooking. At times, I precook them for 2-3 minutes in a pan with butter and added on the tart for another 3-4 minutes. But sardines are easy to overlook.

1 Like

Thank you for the technique. I only ever grill whole sardines so I am not at all familiar with cooking them any other way. I do like the char you get on grilled sardine skin but am not sure how that would work on the tart - or if it should even be attempted.

1 Like

Those are some really beautiful dishes! Hoping hubby’s test comes back negative. Stay safe!

6 Likes

Wonderful meals!

I wish your husband (and you) good health and speedy recovery, fingers crossed for a negative test.

4 Likes

Saffron-turmeric rice with breaded chicken cutlets in a coconut milk bath.

15 Likes