What's For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

I can’t remember where you are.

I am in Northern California, but sort of distant East Bay; last bit of Solano County That package says made in SF, which is abouut 45 miles from here.

There is a Country Square Market that has most of the usual 99 Ranch/ Asian market things, but I couldn’t find rice noodles last time I looked. Which was March.

BF had a craving, so he made us a club sandwich to share and potato salad for dinner. Jaw-unhinging club was ham, bacon, and his wonderful chicken salad, because we had it. Potato salad was dressed with olive oil, minced onion, garlic, olives, pepperoncini and thyme. Great Fri. night dinner.

16 Likes

that looks SCRUMPTIOUS.

Yeah but those steak tips looked especially fab tonight on FB!! hope you can load the pic later…

1 Like

that chop and the slaw are making me drool and i just ate that monster sandwich.

1 Like

What , how can that be . Cheers

1 Like

Came home after a long day at the office to a lovely farm box. Found this giant head of frisée and knew right away dinner would be frisée aux lardons.
And a nice CA pinot; keeping our fire ravaged NorCal neighbors in our thoughts.

17 Likes

Fab last dinner! Sad to see yet another restaurant close. Are people dining out a lot?

2 Likes

I don’t know about people, but we are most assuredly not. The infection rate here in Maryland is up 20% in the past month (about), we’re in the throes of allergy season and cold & flu season is ramping up. Sharing a space with a bunch of people without masks seems unwise. We get take-out about once each month and otherwise cook.

Dinner last night was stuffed pork chops, roast squash with Parmesan, and mashed potatoes courtesy of my recently rediscovered ricer.

5 Likes

Thanks. Yes, it seems that people are starting to dine out more. We go very early and are usually the only diners there for the first hour. When we left every table was taken outdoors.

2 Likes

Dinner last night - chicken wings 3 ways: Dry rubbed Berbere, and Lemon Pepper, wet style BBQ. The Berbere was my favorite. You can see, someone else interested in the food too.

15 Likes

Here too, yesterday 10000 new cases in the country, though the death rate is much lower than the peak period in April or May. People don’t seem to worry as much anymore… Many people go back to greetings with kisses.

Good idea to dine earlier. In fact I think the mid high range fine dining suffer the most with the lack of tourists a or local clients. People aren’t in the mood to spend a lot of money yet, but I think things are getting better, slowly.

I miss Dali.
And the sangria.
And the tapas.
And the friendly smiles and hugs.

So my home recreation has to suffice.

Dali’s sangria.

Manchego cheese with quince paste and Marcona almonds, with proscuitto. (Forgot to get jamon serrano.)

Patatas Bravas with alioli sauce.

Scallops in Saffron Cream.

Cuarenta y Tres.

I think I did OK. Except no indoor sunshine as there is at Dali.

26 Likes

I think you did great,Linda. Perfect sear on those scallops.

1 Like

Wow! Great re-creation.

2 Likes

Smoky outside (yuck - 209 AQI), chili inside :slight_smile: Not pictured. Served with new (to me) bread - Nan-E Barbari. Now if only I could find a video on how to shape a “log roll.” The book photos don’t match the description, and it is apparently their most used shaping technique.

14 Likes

What an excellent looking meal…and liqueur!

1 Like

Work today so a simple store-bought rotisserie chicken, garlic cauliflower mashed potatoes, and spinach for greens. No pics. I did take a pic of this evening’s cocktail: a Maker’s Mark Manhattan.

Dessert was a delicious pumpkin pie ice cream.

12 Likes