What's For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

One of our favorites … Calamari, langostinos (prawns) y courgette (zucchine) fritos … !
It was lovely to enjoy 2 dear friends. Gent with tatoo, is a neighbour and his lady partner …

SATURDAYFRITATTAWINESAUVIGNON120276574_10215053375602458_2695679857398999209_o|525x700

14 Likes

Yum. I miss tapas. May need to recreate some of this delicious menu one of these days. Sorry about the rough week!

3 Likes

Errands and flu shot.

Dinner decided on the fly based on what could defrost the quickest.

So a perfect medium-rare bacon cheeseburger it was, with Lamb Weston’s Super Crispy Shoestring Fries, and a quick spinach salad with one of the last of my patio tomatoes and a large sliced radish with a lemon-honey vinaigrette. I added dried cranberries and goat cheese after the pic.

There was wine.

12 Likes

Having lost my mother and older brother within 16 days of each other last year in Nov and Dec, I fully understand this pain. All I can say is while you’re trying to take care of others, please make sure you take care of you. Allow yourself to grieve, even in private moments. It does help ease the stress just a little bit.

12 Likes

Sprouts with garlic and pancetta

Spicy rubbed and roasted pork tenderloin

With butter seared potatoes, and a splash of Momofuko ranch dressing

17 Likes

We had an outstanding dinner indoors at Belford Bistro. It was well worth the two hour round trip. We enjoyed a special of grilled swordfish with heirloom tomato beurre blanc and bacon; probably one of the best juicy pork chops I have ever had; jumbo lump crab cake; gnocchi with angry shrimp; scallops with pork belly, and a delicious peanut butter cup for dessert. It all went great with an excellent red wine aged in bourbon barrels.

13 Likes

She sounds like a great lady and you will have many memories of her. Better that she went quick. That’s my hope for everyone I love. Pain, suffering, life-support not my idea of end of life. My heart goes out to you. I connect with my grandmothers and my father through their handwritten recipes on stained papers and measures that I have to guestimate. I feel them there with me when I cook. Blessings to you.

6 Likes

So sorry for your loss Greg. She sounds like she was a wonderful woman.

1 Like

I made some butter chicken following this recipe:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/simple-butter-chicken/16829/

and had some with peas from the freezer and plain basmati rice. Came out pretty well! Probably due in part to the copious amounts of cream and butter.

17 Likes

Serious Eats Smoked Char Siu Pork Shoulder

Roasted carrots with berbere spice

20 Likes

A bit of burn out set in yesterday…

Dinner plan was a Shrimp Stir Fry, but neither of us felt like rattling pots & pans…

We did have a fresh loaf of Russian Rye Bread. And our favorite deli cuts. So sandwiches served. DW’s was a Grobbel’s Corned Beef, mine, an Eckrich Ham Off The Bone. Michigan grown produce as a side…

17 Likes

I feel your pain. A few years ago, right index finger tip, slicing cooked beets no less before wifey got home. While I’ve just bandaged and waited it out to heal before, I knew this one was not going to go the same direction. As I was getting in the car to drive to the walk in clinic, she pulled in the driveway

Finished the dish the next day. My inspiration was to use carrot tops. Go figure

Bought a few pair of Kevlar gloves to use when using a mandolin

20 Likes

On a still-warm Saturday evening we hosted our neighbor for clam chowder, lobster rolls, and cupcakes for dessert. I baked off spinach and feta tiropitas (little triangles of fillo dough with filling) from the freezer for a warm appetizer.

And I didn’t prepare any of the dinner myself—everything either bought ahead or takeout. Instead we focused on setting up our patio space, tables, and dining accoutrements for social distancing.

As my husband reminded me, “The reason to get together with people over food is people. You can obsess over the food another day.”

So I didn’t worry about cooking and we seized the moment. Glad we did.

16 Likes

Saffron risotto with a bit of red kale, and a nice baby lettuce salad with turmeric spice dressing (Evoo, cider vinegar, honey, turmeric, ginger, salt, pepper, cayenne).

15 Likes

Dinner last night was red beans and rice. I linked to and quoted @Mr_Happy because I too used a rice mold. grin

I was on a short yacht delivery and this was my choice for dinner the last night. Beautiful boat, really deficient galley equipment. Glad I brought my own chef’s knife. grin Onions, garlic, celery, carrots in a saute pan. Kidney beans (I couldn’t source real red beans) in a pot. Cooked aromatics into the pot with sliced Andouille sausage and carefully add chicken stock until just below the lip of the pot. All stirring had to be very careful (remember a boat is a moving platform) as the pot was barely adequate.

Reception was quite good. Crew of five ate what should really have been enough for eight. Downside was that people didn’t eat much breakfast today.

Dave tirade on chicken stock. I really don’t like bouillon. At all. The stuff is chicken flavored salt. Certainly homemade is lovely but just doesn’t happen for me much of the time. At the moment I’m out of Ball jars so it won’t happen for a while. After a good bit of research a few years ago and some personal testing I have settled on Kitchen Basics Unsalted as my “house brand.” The Tetra Pak ™ is shelf stable. It’s the same size as the UHT milk I buy which appeals to my organizational OCD. It’s good enough that sometimes I just warm some up and drink it from a mug. A little pepper, some oregano…happy place.

7 Likes

Shared Pastas … and a lovely array of fresh hot breads and a bottle of red wine and of course, a simple lovely sorbete with fresh fruit, espresso and a few licores … Very italiano.

15 Likes

Brava!

1 Like

I know of Kitchen Basics, and have heard the expression Tetra Pak, but can’t figure out how they are related. Is it the Kitchen basics in the box that you keep in the fridge after opening?

I see. Maybe Tetra Pak is a patented form of packaging…

https://www.tetrapak.com/about

We made a quick, homey country dinner: grilled b/s chicken breasts with BBQ sauce (TJ’s Kansas City seems to be a winner with everyone), local COTC with TPSTOB, smothered green beans, corn muffins, and sliced local tomatoes with s&p and Mrs. Dash.

13 Likes

Exactly. They are great.

1 Like