What's For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

You already know what it is.

17 Likes

Lol, I like how you have your salmon staked out @shrinkrap!

1 Like

We had an awesome dinner indoors with some friends at Il Nido in Englishtown, NJ. It was our first time dining out with someone in over 7 months. We enjoyed orata, Bison steak, beet salad, beef carpaccio, wagyu meatballs, scallop crudo with crispy sunchokes, flourless chocolate cake, and fantastic wine among other things. It was just nice to dine with other human beings.

s

14 Likes

Looks delicious!

This made me laugh, because my palate is sensitive to extra or undercooked turmeric :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks for the recipe, @LindaWhit!

1 Like

After my bagel adventures this morning, I sorted tomatoes as my Sunday afternoon activity before a weekly zoom with friends.

Dinner was takeout chinese from the place around the corner which - coincidentally and fortuitously - does nyc-style “bad” (not really) chinese.

Chicken corn soup, young chow fried rice, lamb with scallions and ginger, beef with broccoli, cashew chicken, string beans with garlic. Vegetarians had a whole separate meal of pan fried noodles, kung pao tofu, broccoli in white garlic sauce, and more string beans. Oh, the cluster family was over - we didn’t eat all that just ourselves :rofl:

Gratuitous shot of my new (but short lived) pet homemade bagel.

Oh, the neighbors brought over some soup and challah on Friday that I ate just before dinner, and was delighted to discover there were matzo balls in the mix!

12 Likes

thank you!

i’ve heard it causes a reaction in some people. fortunately, i don’t have that problem! i usually triple the amount in recipes.

this was definitely well cooked - sauteed in butter before the rice was added to coat and toast, then stock added.

Oh I didn’t mean an allergic reaction - I take it by the heaped spoonful at the first hint of a cold. Just flavor-wise.

1 Like

ooh, i just looked up a recipe for lamb with ginger and scallions.

2 Likes

For dinner tonight I made a potato and leek kugel and had a piece with sour cream, pickled cucumbers, and a glass of wine. Followed a recipe from Modern Jewish Cooking by Leah Konig.

19 Likes

Very nice.

1 Like

Believe it or not, I love Italian Ports and especially Sardinian …

This Port was silken velvet ! Truly a wonderful cordial … It was slighted chilled and quite amazing …

Thanks and have a great week ahead.

1 Like

Surely a wonderful wine collection here …

1 Like

Italian Port wine?

1 Like

We made burgers with locally-ground beef on potato rolls with the works, local COTC, and homegrown kale salad with garlic citronette and Parm Regg. Kiddo even ate some!

17 Likes

Four cheese tortellini, sauteed asparagus, red bell pepper, and the leftover chicken from Saturday’s meal in Maine, all tossed with a garlic-herb cream sauce.

And even though it’s a Monday, it’s the last day of my mini-vacay, so there was wine.

19 Likes

Another summer salad. The days are getting shorter though. Corn, green bean, bell pepper, garden tomato, sweet onion, bacon, goat cheese (added later), with a little lime zest, juice, and evoo. S&P. Hit the spot.

Especially nice to have something fresh after this - ahem - mid afternoon snack.

20 Likes

I defrosted some ground beef, and was fairly uninspired. I had thought about Picadillo but ended up with something more Indian-inspired in its spicing. It was like a Keema, but I added in some diced potatoes and carrots, as well as du puy lentils (that I precooked). Spicing was onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, coriander, cumin, turmeric and harissa. It wasn’t terribly pretty to look at (no pics were taken), but it was super tasty served over brown rice. The kiddos devoured it too.

12 Likes

Mmm kheema. Comfort food. I love potatoes in it (somehow they’re always gone first, no matter what proportion of potatoes to meat is used…)

1 Like

Cheesy tomatoes from Food 52’s Big Little Recipes. Super simple. I used pita, added a little sliced deli ham and oregano, but basically it’s tomatoes & cheese. I used Colby Jack. Very cheesy and juicy. I’d try it with pasta or rice sometime, and the BF suggested it would be good with garlic toast. Salad on the side. Super easy dinner for a Monday night.

14 Likes