What's For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

Smoky outside (yuck - 209 AQI), chili inside :slight_smile: Not pictured. Served with new (to me) bread - Nan-E Barbari. Now if only I could find a video on how to shape a “log roll.” The book photos don’t match the description, and it is apparently their most used shaping technique.

14 Likes

What an excellent looking meal…and liqueur!

1 Like

Work today so a simple store-bought rotisserie chicken, garlic cauliflower mashed potatoes, and spinach for greens. No pics. I did take a pic of this evening’s cocktail: a Maker’s Mark Manhattan.

Dessert was a delicious pumpkin pie ice cream.

12 Likes

I made Melissa Clark’s Indian-spiced crab and corn cakes with coriander yogurt, tikka masala eggplant (cooked in the leftover rich, gelatinous chicken sauce from the other night), and leftover fennel slaw with tomato and carrot added.

The crabcakes were OK - I didn’t feel the spices, corn, and chili were necessarily improvements.

10 Likes

Gorgeous pics Linda . You know when life gives you lemons you make cocktails . Cheers .:tropical_drink:

2 Likes

We had a fabulous dinner indoors at Cafe Panache in Ramsey, NJ. It was our first indoor dinner at Panache in over 6 months. We had dinner outdoors there 3 weeks ago. There were 4 very generously spaced tables in the big room. We sat by an open window. All of the servers were fully masked throughout. We enjoyed excellent duck two ways, NJ heirloom tomato and burrata salad, tuna tartare, tuna steak, and coconut cake with caramel and slivered almond ice cream for dessert. It all went great with an excellent 2013 Malbec.

11 Likes

@Lambchop, daughter is loving the French bulldog. She has one on her phone case.
She made this SPICY SZECHUAN NOODLES WITH GARLIC CHILI OIL

She seemed impressed that I had all the ingredients, except the noodles, which she knew enough to bring with her.

14 Likes

Rick Bayless shrimp cocktail over tostada .
Great chef of the west recipe for avocado terrine. Why I’m not a great chef of the west . I believed it would work. Tasted fantastic. Cheers .

17 Likes

No eating out in restaurants here - not inside, not outside. I have three immediate family members in health care, and given what they deal with daily, it’s just not something we are comfortable with. So, take out occasionally and lots of cooking. Still grateful to have the resources and access to good things and the ability to cook it all.

Tonight I wanted to use some farm box tomatoes and cauliflower. Made a quick cauliflower soup, and a tart. Tart had herbed ricotta topped with tomatoes and little green onion. A glass of Cab Franc.

23 Likes

Exceptional as always.

Thank you for posting the Menu.

The Tun tartare looks amazing …

Have a lovely weekend … And best wishes during these challenging times.

Isn’t a log roll just making a loaf? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOEg_29UM2E

Tofu, snap peas, radishes, grilled onions over jasmine rice. Satisfying quickie.

16 Likes

Thank you @barca! The tuna tartar contained some baby Chinese eggplant which gave it another layer of depth. It’s just nice to start eating out again, even though the experience isn’t exactly the same with everyone wearing masks.
I look forward to seeing your next amazing meal.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

1 Like

The ONLY way to go. And by far the easiest method.

1 Like

Nice! And that’s one swank wine tote!

2 Likes

I want that plate and that plate!

Thank you! I just bought the leather wine tote from Brahmin.

Wow. Yes, Chinese aubergine (eggplant) surely sounds wonderful as an addition.

Yes, it is same here in respect to the laws on masks and distancing.

Glad it i still fairly warm and we can dine on terraces or side walk.

Have a lovely weekend too.

3 Likes

No. In the particular book I have, it’s a method of starting with a rough rectangle, folding the top half over and pressing down the seam, then folding the rest over and making a seam, working on surface tension the whole time. However, their images and their verbal don’t match. Other factors, such as a relatively short rise and I didn’t want to lose my built up gasses, let me to deal with it pretty gently, such that I couldn’t actually work up any surface tension. The bread I made came out fine, but they use this “log” method as the beginning to shaping a bunch of other loaves, where I think it would make a difference. Anyway, thanks for the video. Surprised to see this guy diving with his hand when that’s supposed to be a no-no, instead of a scraper. But I’m just a novice…

1 Like

One thing that you should take note of is, you should never punch down the dough. Folding gently is what keeps the air in the dough.

1 Like