What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

Found a new local farm box delivery last week. Friday’s delivery included a box of lovely tomatoes and a few recipes. This pesto riff was a really delicious no cook meal.

Blended raw almonds, basil, parm, a de-seeded tomato (I used a giant yellow one), olive oil, and salt. Added a bit more salt, and lots of black pepper. Toss in cooked spaghetti. DH is not the biggest fan or raw tomato or traditional pesto, so this was a really nice compromise.

Dinner:

So excited for this new farm box. I’ve missed the FM, and this was just a lovely selection of great quality stuff. Going to get the box every other week for now.

16 Likes

What a day!

3 Likes

Yesterday, fair amount of time making dumplings. Which we had plain during the making process.

Dumpling vegetable soup 08-30

And then had more for dinner, in this Chicken vegetable soup (a few beans thrown in), with pork and Savoy cabbage dumplings/wontons/whatever.
15 Likes

Initially not seeing your pictures but thinking my imagination might do them justice. Now I see them. Yum.

This is what I had planned for Sunday night until I decided to go easy-peasy with the cheesesteak sandwich…thinking I’d get home at a reasonable hour tonight to get this prepped and in the oven.

Pfffftttt…work life had other plans and I didn’t leave work until 5:45. So dinner is late. But it’s good.

Roasted asparagus and bacon quiche with some onions, mushrooms, and goat cheese, along with a handful of Penzeys’ Fine Herbs. Will give me some easy lunches as well.

14 Likes

:sob::sob::sob::sob: Seriously. All choked up. I think you are right. Thank goodness you were there.

5 Likes

I planned to make mussels in a Thai-inspired sauce but my favorite fish monger (Point Lobster) didn’t have any. The clams were just off the boat so they were a perfect stand-in for the mussels. Another quick pivot and the clams were steamed in a spicy tomato broth with pancetta and celery.

18 Likes

I made "barbecue" salmon (really more of a soy-hoisin-lime) served over leftover rice, topped with extra kimchi remoulade. Sides of tomato salad in black vinaigrette, green beans wokked in the style of cumin lamb (cumin, cumin seed, garlic, ginger, onion, hot chilies, cilantro, splash of soy), and leftover Asian slaw.

15 Likes

Freezer-find: Thai chicken curry - more veggie than chicken than the original dish. I added TPST of basil, 4 more chopped-up Thai bird chilis, and ginger. Kind of mushy and runny-nose-hot, but that was good on a chilly eve.

13 Likes

Wow - good quick thinking on your part! Lucky SIL. glad it all turned out ok with no ER runs! you’re a cool cookie!

2 Likes

looks are plainly deceiving - my knot-work was amateur at best! but thanks.

I’m moving on . Cheers. :wine_glass:

Chinese-ish tonight.

Vegetarians had baked tofu with peanut-sesame sauce and roasted broccoli.

I made steamed chicken with black mushrooms. Fine, but not my usual chicken because the mushrooms had been marinated by someone else.

13 Likes

My daughter is back home, and she made this; she calls it “a tortilla and an egg”.

I made some chicken for a side . The carrots were store bought. :open_mouth:

12 Likes

As close to authentic tasting chicken vindaloo I’ve made, though the process greatly differs. I had boneless chicken thighs rubbed with salt, pepper, and curry powder and then browned them in the skillet. Removed and fried onion. I deglazed with vinegar since traditional vindaloo uses that. I then added Patak’s simmer sauce, a ridiculously spicy hot sauce (meant for three drops but a couple extra slippedout :dizzy_face:), and eventually the chicken after cubing. Also added par-boiled potatoes in keeping with the original version of this dish (Portuguese influence).

No booze tonight and thankfully so because my mouth is ON FIRE.

20200831_225301

20200831_225405

15 Likes

Linda! But where’s the wine!

1 Like

Crab cake, slaw, potatoe 08-31

Maryland style crab cakes, house made cocktail sauce, duck fat fried potatoes (with cracklings) and Savoy slaw.

13 Likes

@Saregama What an extraordinary story. Although there have been rough patches with your family that you’ve chronicled here and you are probably tired as hell of being away from home, maybe a renewed sense of togetherness and unconditional family love is the happy result of a frightening situation. Glad you’re here. And were there.

PS Through your posts, I’ve felt like you’ve been underappreciated by your family. You’ve been cooking for a crowd with different dietary needs for a long time. :clap:

12 Likes

I don’t understand. Did I miss something?

2 Likes

Welcome, tasty. Good eatin’ and good people here.

1 Like