What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

i am weeping over all your dishes!

1 Like

I made Ed Lee’s spicy pork bowl with jasmine rice and kimchi remoulade, Cara Cara orange and sesame cole slaw, and Korean stir-fried eggplant. Some chopped lettuce for crunch. A spicy Benjamin Darnault French red was a great pairing.

16 Likes

One of these days, a potluck!

1 Like

Not in the group! Not in the group! I’m NOT in the group!

Thanks for the clarification. 30 did seem somewhat excessive.

Tonight’s dinner was a great example of simple gone bad :rofl:

Me in my head: Chicken soup (a la dad) would be tasty and simple - I have chicken legs defrosted already.

Sibling comes in with my cappuccino, scrunches nose at soup (nose scrunch also a la my dad), asks if we can have a simple chicken curry instead (using exactly what was prepped for soup).

Ok. Easy enough.

Enter the instant pot, which I am redubbing the idiot pot. What should have taken 30 mins total (only because I like cooking the sauce first to deepen the flavors) took closer to 2 hours because the stupid machine kept stopping because of “food burn” (and I was tending to plants in the garden and collecting tomatoes in between).

Ugh.

Anyway. Roasted cauliflower and a tomato salad (duh) on the side. We procured frozen chapatis courtesy someone else who had gone to the indian store, so I’m happy about that. And I made jeera pulao ie cumin rice.

14 Likes

What is “food burn”, besides the obvious? Is that an actual read out from the ahem…I-pot?

Found this

IP burn message

You’re still getting Cara Caras where you are?? Jealous!

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing!

2 Likes

It’s because the heating element is at the bottom. So when the sauce thickens, it sticks in one or two places and that stupid message flashes.

David Chang had a rant about it - and then created a “normal pot” IG account which was pretty funny.

1 Like

Is there flour or thickener in the sauce? Because that most often “burns.”

Clean-out the fridge dinner. Nigel Slater’s “preserved” yellow cherry tomatoes (i don’t preserve them, so they had to to be eaten), turned into a sauce, with corn that had to go, shallots, and just-past-its-prime-bacon. On the side, a tiny salad of the last of the beets that had to go, with feta and shallots, and week-old FM shitakes, sauteed and finished with Amontillado sherry, that went really well when mixed into the pasta.

16 Likes

The link I found says "the Instant Pot has detected that the inner pot has gotten too hot. " I wonder how they decided what was “too hot”.

A friend gave us some fresh-off-the-boat tuna. The Sprout gave us tekkamaki with avocado.

19 Likes

talented Sprout!

4 Likes

Nope
Basic Indian base - onion tomato ginger garlic

Next time I’ll cook everything together first and then remove the chicken and potatoes before cooking the gravy further.

Or use a regular pot :joy:

3 Likes

Nice job by the Sprout!!!

2 Likes

It detects food sticking accurately.

1 Like

Insta pot . When things go wrong.

Clean out the frig pasta. Cooked bacon. Red onion, cherry tomatoes, cooked in bacon fat, spinach, red pepper flakes, dry vermouth, and a little miso paste. Finished with pasta water and parm. And wine.

12 Likes