What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

WFD last night was grilled chicken with a glaze H adapted from a current magazine, COTC, and sautéed beet greens, with sweet onions. I slept through dinner, so will have that tonight. Not sure what H will have, but we’ll figure something out.

BTW, I’ll confess to being a food hoarder, but not a TP hoarder! I just like an adequate supply of it.

3 Likes

Ditto this. I’m single but have almost always had a chest freezer in the basement or garage. Probably because I purchased a 1/4 of a steer my stepfather raised back in the mid 80s. Having access to that meat helped push me over the edge into food hoarder status. My pantry has WAY too many extra cans of beans, corn, tomato sauce, packages of various pasta, tetrapaks of stock, mustards, condiments… I do it with herbs and spices too.

If I was ever on that old Food Network show where the celebrity chef would come in and prepare a gourmet meal with what was in the fridge, freezer, and pantry? He’d have a field day in my kitchen. LOL

7 Likes

Excuse the beige-iosity - this is actually pesto, and actually quite tasty, but i used basil that had gone a bit dark ( though it looked a tad greener in person.) And those are potatoes in there. When we lived in Italy, the old lady next door would make us dinner, and once she made pesto with pasta and potatoes, which she said was a Genovese thing. Loved the carby combo. She also made her pesto with butter instead of olive oil, but that’s another delicious story.

Heirloom tomato slice with the last of the fresh mozz on the side.

This was an unintentional meatless meal - I bought Italian sausages to make with the pasta and forgot them! BF didn’t say anything at dinner, but was wondering what he had done wrong… :grin: i told him to really think hard about it. :smile:

12 Likes

I could probably eat for months without having to go grocery shopping except for fresh fruit and vegetables, and milk for coffee. And I could probably skip the milk if I had to. Mr Bean loves to blame me but he has his own hoarding tendencies and won’t open anything unless there are at least 2 “back ups”.

4 Likes

All our friends say they’re coming to our house in the event of a bad natural disaster or a different kind of apocalyptic event. At least we’ll have company!

1 Like

I am going to revisit

when it cools off.

1 Like

This one won’t win any awards but delicious nonetheless: baked pork chop with a Ritz Cracker coating, garlic mashed potatoes, and sauteed spinach with…more garlic!

To drink: a Stoli Razberi with lime seltzer. A friend recommended the vodka and the liquor store near my job just so happens to sell 375 ML bottles. Good sample size. I like it but not sure I’d buy a full bottle.

15 Likes

Are you kidding me on your dinner @gcaggiano? - I I’d eat that in a NJ minute, looks delicious to me, and am sure it tastes better than that.

It’s only 8:20 here, and I haven’t eaten yet, your meal is perking up my appetite. I am having a glass of wine on the deck, and light snacks. Happy.

2 Likes

Well, thank you! A late dinner tonight as usual. With our schedules, its rare to eat before 10 on a work day.

Cheers!

1 Like

French onion soup for dinner tonight with homemade bread and sausages (white pudding style).

And a delicious tomato tasting of four varieties from the garden, over arugula. I’m fascinated by the differences in flavor among the types that are growing (as I figure out what I actually planted from what we ate early in pandemic season - the only “known” plants are an heirloom and cherries from seeds). My favorite of these are the mid-size green ones that are intensely flavorful and sweet. My favorite of the tiny ones (pictured here) are a small grape tomato that is also intensely sweet and flavorful.

17 Likes

Made Lanzhou style beef noodle soup following this recipe:

Only I used an Instant Pot and skipped the chili oil part because I already had some.

12 Likes

I wish I could use it as an excuse! I had to buy a set of those plastic tupperware drawer things just to hold my spices. And I only cook for one…

3 Likes

Long lost cousins maybe haha. I’ll check around to see if the Filipino stores are still there. I need to figure out how to vegetarian-ize some of my favorite recipes- I haven’t had them in forever. Mate I’ll go to the store and spend the day experimenting. I like the adobo or spicy crackernuts, but the plain are a little … plain, as it were.

You’re my spirit animal, @LindaWhit ! Since the pandemic started, I’ve been wondering aloud if I should have a SMALL chest freezer. But it’s just me here, and my kitchen and freezer are packed (at all times–even pre-pandemic), mostly because I cook and even if I eat the same meal for 3 days, I inevitably put a serving or two of whatever it is (soup, meat sauce, etc.) in the freezer! I do have weeks where I eat out of the freezer so I can rotate new stuff in, but I’m so happy it’s not just me. :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Looks fantastic to me! We’ve been on a Ritz kick lately anyway. - before the Pandemic I hadn’t had any in a good 25+ years? Inspiration!

3 Likes

Sweet and sour tofu sounds awesome- I’m adding it to my list. I’ve done a sesame tofu, but never even thought about sweet and sour. Thanks for the inspiration!

1 Like

This, exactly. I could feed half my street for like a week, and each day could be something from a completely different food culture. I’m a hot mess.

2 Likes

Yeah, knowing myself, I can only imagine! It’s a little crazy, but it could be worse…as in habits to have @Ct.ebner84.

Yup - when I make meat sauce, I make a BIG pot - and usually at least four 2-cup containers go into the downstairs freezer for easy reheating on the flame tamer.

When I make pot roast - at least 3 slices of roast with gravy go into shallow Rubbermaid containers.

When I make soup - it’s a big pot and those 2-cup Ziploc containers come in handy again.

When I make mac & ham & cheese - I do so in small rectangular foil containers so I can pull one out in the a.m. and it’s defrosted by dinnertime for easy baking after topping with Panko.

But even with ALL of that food, I still buy more shit at the stupidmarket. :laughing:

5 Likes

For those who didn’t see this thread and have asked about @meatn3, I found an old email address for her on her CH profile and took a chance, and she is thankfully ok.

I do hope she’ll be back at some point, but in the meantime I’m sure she’d be happy to hear from us here (or via email) - I know I was.

8 Likes