What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

Thanks for all the good wishes :sun_with_face:

1 Like

Love this dish, and that looks awesome! Was a bit confused for a moment before realizing it was a literal translation :joy:

1 Like

I whipped dinner together in record time between my meetings at work ending at 6 and me hosting a zoom happy hour with my team at 7. I feel like I deserve a trophy!

Pasta with eggplant and tomatoes from the garden. Lots of garlic. Topped with basil and mozzarella. Easy and tasty!

17 Likes

:trophy:

You sure do!

3 Likes

Medium-rare cheeseburger on a lightly toasted bulkie roll with crispy shoestring fries alongside, and a glass of wine to accompany.

It was GOOD.

19 Likes

Yes, Shrinkrap: I did post that recipe (my own invention, I thought, but of course it had been thought of before).

I would say salting and rinsing the cabbage is crucial. I let mine sit in a colander sliced and salted for about two hours.

1 Like

A light summer meal tonight: a still mooing flat iron steak with an Israeli couscous salad (lemon vinaigrette) and a beautiful tomato from Livoti’s Market in Middletown NJ. It was simply prepared with extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. It needed nothing else. Not pictured was some naan that was needed to drag through all that oil under the tomatoes. This side was inspired by what I saw here on HO the other day.

There was a glass or two of Chardonnay.

24 Likes

i missed it, happy belated!! :cake:

2 Likes

King of Leftovers (the BF) did his magic tonight (even though it ain’t pretty, you can be sure I took a picture of it!): Mexi-rice, pikliz, rice & beans, salsa fresca, two kinds of pork, and he turned tasteless corn that I didn’t eat into fritters. Yummy with a soy/rice vinegar/sesame oil dipping sauce i made. Salad with veg that needed to go. All good - beans and rice just get better with age. :smiley:

20 Likes

B to the L to the T

19 Likes

Looks so goooood!

2 Likes

Mr and Mrs Sprat’s berbere spiced pork tenderloin with piperade-ish peppers and tomatoes and sliced Dwarf Firebird Sweet and Beauty King tomatoes. Both beautiful tomatoes, but slightly different in appearance.

IMG_20200728_204910
IMG_20200728_205021
The pieces with the M flag are well done :grimacing:. M as in mercy!

Was that too much? Sorry.

21 Likes

That looks soooo good. I really need to embrace a BLT lettuce wrap. Skipping bread usually not a problem for me until BLT season, then I am thinking i can rationalize losing limbs.

3 Likes

A classic. Yum

1 Like

Did you grow those? So jealous, I can’t get tomatoes to grow in San Francisco.

2 Likes

I did grow them!

I’m jealous too. “Bay area” comes with crazy choices, no?

17 Likes

Sure I can get good tomatoes at the farmers market but that haul in your picture would cost about $50!

4 Likes

I’m joking of course, but that would be about 5 minutes of air conditioning while it was 100 plus f here this week! And the restos, and the politics, and on and on.

We never thought we could afford to live closer to the bay, but my daughter did ( in Bayview) for a few years. Now she lives in Queens. I used to live in Queens. Different thread.

Quick Pressure Release. You manually move the vent to release the pressure quickly, as opposed to Natural Pressure Release where you let it sit and the pressure falls naturally.

1 Like

So colorful!