What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

Hopefully you knew that I was going to ask for the recipe. Would you please share? :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Ok, last nights dinner was exactly the same, except the hot dog was replaced with a piece of grilled jerk chicken, and COTC was swapped out for a big pile of zucchini and yellow crookneck squash, sautéed with Walla Walla onions again. Green beans were a repeat. :joy_cat::rofl::joy_cat:

Tonight, hot dogs again, squash and green beans - yum. Wine too. Loving summer, finally! :sun_with_face::+1:t3::sunglasses::palm_tree:

1 Like

Wow, all of that made my mouth water.

1 Like

We had lunches out the last few days, and so dinners were very light and boring. Tonight we took a pile of forged chicken of the wood mushrooms from our yard and made pappardelle with butter, shallot, thyme, parsley, and white vermouth, topped with aged gouda. DH made a yummy kale salad with dried cherries, currants, chopped marcona almonds, and toasted coconut.

21 Likes

:astonished: :rage: :goat: :sob: :rofl:

1 Like

SE’s Pan PIzza really is foolproof. These turned out great! While I prefer a good NY style crust, these were just so easy. My sourdough starter didn’t rise enough so I went with yeast. Crispy, golden bottomed, fluffy & light inside (not doughy), with crispy edges. First was homemade tomato sauce (out of Rao’s), spicy and mild salami, maitakes, a little bit of TJ’s chili crunch (for some reason it clumped up on that one side), and a 3-cheese blend, plus a little parm. Second, i made a garlic olive oil to brush on the dough, topped with bacon, creamy goat cheese, spring onion, and too few chopped broccoli rabe leaves - could have used more. Drizzled with a little more garlic oil before baking. Both really good. Green salad on the side with the BF’s garlicky vinaigrette.

pan pizza red sauce 1

15 Likes

omg that pasta and shrooms!

1 Like

Small world. this is in my back yard too (or relatively close). St. Eve’s is lovely, though we haven’t been in quite a bit.

2 Likes

Perfect

Saturday, for the first time since Covid lock down changed our lives in early March, I hosted 2 friends for dinner. Extremely socially distanced in the backyard. It was amazing and soul satisfying to cook for others beyond my immediate family.

One of my girlfriends is vegan, so I planned a mostly vegan meal. We started the meal with a cold chickpea and tahini soup topped with a mix of finely diced tomato, cucumber, olive and vegan feta cheese (I just learned this exists). Next we had individually portioned mezze plates of multigrain pita chips, black chickpea and roasted garlic hummus, baba ganoush and olives. Then a selection of flatbreads: lamajun made with impossible meat, a vegan pesto flatbread with red pepper, onion, olive, zucchini, olive and vegan mozzarella; and a version of the same with real fresh mozzarella (obviously not vegan). Vegan individual peach cobblers for dessert. Blood orange margaritas with thyme were the cocktail of the evening. Not because they were thematically consistent, but because we love them.

18 Likes

No real recipe. I sautéed some onion until golden with a cinnamon stick, 3-4 star anise, and a bay leaf. Added chicken pieces (I used a cubed breast and 3 drumsticks) and cooked a couple minutes longer. Added a chopped tomato, some ground turmeric, some ground coriander powder, Chinese chicken bouillon powder (Lee Kum Kee one) and water and cooked on the soup setting for 30 minutes. Did QPR, added cubed carrots and potatoes and cooked on soup setting for another 10 minutes. Did QPR again, added chopped green onions and white pepper. Served it over white rice. I always have crispy fried shallots on hand as well as homemade pickled Thai bird chillies so that went on as garnishes for extra heat.

7 Likes

Thank you, thank you! I cook the same way.

1 Like

You have impressive game at hosting a socially distanced get-together!

Your friends must have felt so special to be treated to a delicious, thoughtful feast.

3 Likes

Happy birthday @Lambchop! Your brownies and ice cream sound like the perfect summer celebration dessert.

2 Likes

I give you another composed salad. Last night was too dang hot to cook. Early in the day I’d made a potato and egg salad, which brought substance to the plate.

Also this convinced me to keep a couple jars of quick pickles going in the fridge all summer so we’ll always have some ready.

14 Likes

Happy birthday!

Yesterday was one of those days when I didn’t really feel like cooking. Just about everything we had was bought but doctored up. The smoked brisket was from Virgil’s BBQ that I froze a while back. Reheated on cast iron and slathered with chipotle-honey barbecue sauce. The pickles are store bought but I add chile de arbol and let them infuse for at least a week before eating. I’m a big fan of sweet and hot flavor profiles. Store bought “summer salad” which I’ve tried to create many times but can’t seem to get right so I stopped trying. COTC with TJ’s “Everything but the Elote” seasoning.

15 Likes

Thanks for this! Can I ask what QPR is?

2 Likes

I guessed quick pressure release on the Instant Pot pressure cooker function. It’s done so that you can scald your hand. I’m sure it has other functions as well.

From Spend with Pennies

If the recipe calls for this option, you’ll need to manually release the pressure by turning the venting knob on the Instant Pot (or refer to the owners manual of any other type/brand of pressure cooker). Quick release is appropriate for things you don’t want to overcook

3 Likes

I made fish-fragrant (spicy garlic) eggplant. This time I roasted the eggplant with minimal oil (just cooking spray) after salting and steaming. Added a package of 99% lean ground chicken to a doubling of this recipe: http://andrewzimmern.com/fuchsia-dunlops-fish-fragrant-eggplant
IMG_20200728_170242
Served over leftover sushi rice mixed with cauli rice. Sichuan chili oil spooned over. :drooling_face:

18 Likes