What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

Tonight was supposed to be takeout lobster roll treat. But the restaurant would not accept our order for another hour—too busy!—so a quick pivot was in order.

Pasta with jalapeño, corn, tomatoes, and summer squash. Parmesan this time, but this dish plays equally well with creamy feta.

15 Likes

I could eat the whole jar of Luxardo cherries if no one was looking. But he’d notice. Darn.

5 Likes

Love the ridge

1 Like

Is there a story with those pink heels my good man?

5 Likes

Trying to make piperade or peperonata. But with harissa.

NYT, many years ago. ( By Martha Rose Shulman Sept. 24, 2008)

"There are variations of this dish throughout the Mediterranean. The Basque piperade, made with slender, slightly piquant peppers called piments d’espelette and stirred into scrambled eggs along with bayonne ham, has some heat; whereas Italian peperonata is sweet through and through. A North African version, chakchouka, is spiced with fiery harissa and a spice blend made with caraway and coriander, cayenne and garlic, and is usually served with eggs poached right on top of the stew. "

14 Likes

The Loubitans are a gift to Mrs. P for all of her hard work and for putting up with me :blush:

7 Likes

Pounded a pork steak thinnish and made apanados (aka milanesa, chicken fried pork, schnitzel, etc.) Also Mexi-rice, made with the leftovers of a can of Pato sauce that we used for Bloody Marys earlier today. Chipotle powder, too, and a bunch of chopped cilantro. Dollop of aji verde on top. And corn on the cob that had no flavor - 10 days in the fridge is too long. Second pic has the salad I forgot to plate before taking pics and starting to eat - endive and shallots in a lemon/oregano vinaigrette.

and a pic of our newest sweet baby at the goat yard. Richie!

24 Likes

fantastic save!

1 Like

ohhh my pork milanesa would have been good as a sandwich too! that looks fab.

I’ve been drinking a lot of roses lately, also giving the cocktails a rest (mostly because i’m out of my favorite vermouths (Dolin)! :smile:)

3 Likes

Have you talked about the goat, and I missed it? Ooops! Just saw it. Hi Richie!

2 Likes

It was quite amazing.

I have 2 more fotos from this mini degustation.

We had to use a 35mm non digital due to battery life of our cameras 35mm digital.

Thank you and have a lovely day.

1 Like

The 2 other photographs from Divertxo - The Madrid Capital.

Total are 4 fotos: (1) A carabinero, or a “crevette rouge” with Japanese BBQ Salsa & A Molecular Bellini cocktail.
(2) A Valencian Rice, with langoustinos ( large prawns )
(3) A rose colored dessert … a tiny pastry made on premises with a strawberry frozen molecular sorbet.
(4) Another Fantasy Cocktail with a stuffed padron pepper. The licor is a red vermouth.

11 Likes

Temps in the low 90s for the past four days, with a Real Feel that hovered near 100, with 80% plus humidity… So Mo Weber sits alone in the backyard. Days ago, I thawed out a pound tube of ground beef to grill a burger dinner. Didn’t get done as planned so made a large Hamburger Steak baked in the oven. Air conditioning offset the heat build up in the kitchen…

16 Likes

Richie stew. Mmmmm. grin

1 Like

Amazing once again and the “mascots” are precious !

1 Like

Thank you @Barca!
Your recent meals and food presentations are also stunning as always.

I would eat those mistakes any damn day of the week!

3 Likes

I think I better calm down a bit. We’ve had pizza three times in six days! Not sure when the newness will wear off.

4 Likes

Dinner on Friday night; leftover chicken thigh in balsamic vinegar sauce with sautéed Walla Walla sweet onions and mushrooms. Served over fettuccini with parm-reg. Had some remaining Smoke Tree rose with it, H got on sale, most highly recommend - very light, crisp, clean and dry. A beautiful label too. All was tasty, tasty.

13 Likes

Saturday nights dinner - by request for my birthday! Didn’t want to go out, and was craving hot dogs, happens about X 2 yearly. Ball Park beef franks was what they had at country store. They were perfect w/Walla Walla sweets, dill pickles, finely chopped, and French’s yellow mustard. Wine. Brownies with ice cream for dessert. A perfect day!

21 Likes