What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

We’re on faux-cation at home this week. So I’m trying to make sure we get to enjoy summer’s bounty.

A glass of rosé, an ear of corn, and roasted beet salad rounded out our plates. I wanted to feel like we were in the South of France. Not bad at all.

11 Likes

Last night we hit a brewery patio and got dinner from the food truck: I had a pork loin bun and sesame-ginger slaw, DH had a Penang chicken curry, and the kiddo had lemongrass chicken over rice with hoisin. He ate some but found it too “spicy” to fill up on, and had a half turkey sandwich and fruit at home. We persist…

15 Likes

Doing well, and there is no lockdown here …

Everything is open.

MASKS ARE COMPULSORY (and “fine-able” if you do not respect the law).

We have some EU Tourists however, better check, as North Americans are prohibited UNLESS THEY HAVE SPANISH RESIDENCY CARDS AND LIVE IN SPAIN.

Check with your Consulate before buying airline tickets to Spain.

This can continue until 2021 …

We are only accepting tourists with low rate of Covid as is Italia.

Sorry ! However, it is a protective and preventive measure as we had suffered greatly here and lost alot of lives.

Have a nice summer.

8 Likes

Wednesday, 15th July … Quick lunch …

12 Likes

Understood. Apparently there are vey few places that will “have us” at this point. Not even New York City!

4 Likes

A real summer dinner here tonight. Grilled chicken thighs with my "put that **** on everything rub, corn, sauteed green beans from my mom, cucumber salad with out tomatoes and a lil zucchini. Easy and yum.

17 Likes

Wanted something simple, and had half a head of garlic to use up, so Roasted Garlic Chicken & Potatoes that has a maple syrup drizzle halfway through.

Steamed green beans alongside. And wine. Because it’s my Friday. Not that that matters anymore.

21 Likes

Buttermilk biscuits, scarlet runner beans from Rancho Gordo out the freezer, and a salad.

17 Likes

Finished a job today . Scheduled back for Tuesday. Moving into my birthday slow , Sunday . Kumamoto oysters with baja sauce . Cheers .

19 Likes

I don’t think I’ve asked for the recipe yet…?

2 Likes

Oh man, that sounds/looks great.

1 Like

I made smoked boneless pork loin “ribs” with Spicewalla tarragon-mustard rub, baked beans, red cabbage “Uzbek-style” slaw with the leftover roasted beets in vinaigrette tossed in, and leftover marinated cucumbers. I had trouble eating because of a mouth issue and passed on half the veg portions.

16 Likes

Gracias! Yes, fresh yuca. Incredibly easy to work with. So delicious!

Well, where are you from or I should ask, where do you reside ?

1 Like

There is no lockdown in Spain since May 15th.

However, no Americans are allowed into Spain, unless they possess a Spanish Residency Card or a Spanish Passport. Same goes for Italy.

This shall continue in Spain, probably until 2021.

3 Likes

I’ll post it later!

1 Like

You’ve inspired me to try fresh yucca. Thank you

1 Like

Northern California, near Napa, San Francisco, and Sacramento, ( I’m guessing at least on of those is familiar). My daughter lives in Queens, NY (which is where I’m from originally), and I believe I must quarantine for two weeks if I want to visit her there.

2 Likes

So happy that Mo Weber has been liberated from confinement in the garage!
Tried out a new local sausage with Weber yesterday. Our son the Meatcutter told us the rep for the sausage said it was unique–a mash up of Italian and Polish meats and spices. Chuckled that there wasn’t directions for grilling. It got grilled; along with a few ears of COTC.

Mixed verdict upon tasting: DW & son really liked it. I thought it was nearly inedible.

11 Likes

Here you go. I love this stuff on pork, chicken, avocado toast, shrimp, veggies, whatever. Easy to double or triple. I keep it mixed up and on hand all the time:

1/4 C brown sugar
2 T chili powder
2 T paprika
1 T cumin
1/2 t cayenne
1 t garlic powder
2 t salt
2 t ground pepper

5 Likes