What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

Heat and humidity have been keeping us inside lately AND keeping me from wanting to heat up the house, so there have been a lot of quick scrambled egg or cold cut wrap meals. Last night I got creative and made duxelles, then spread it inside a butterflied flank steak with lots of herbs. Rolled it and vacuum sealed, then stuck it in a 128 degree sous vide bath for a couple of hours. In the meantime, I sauteed some cauliflower and then quickly gratineed it by pouring over a little cream, topping with cheese and briefly broiling. Browned the steak in a skillet for a couple of minutes and that was dinner. Felt like a kitchen-warming, winter meal with minimal sweat! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

that korean chicken sandwich looks amazing. it’s not too sweet, is it?

I know there was a bit of discussion regarding Lomo Saltado and thought some might be interested in this article. Notice the collection of Tabasco sauces.

4 Likes

I hope it doesn’t come to that!!

The oil-based gochugaru sauce also had a touch of honey, but not much. I actually spaced out and made that wrong. I just put all the ingredients in a small sauce pan and heated for a few minutes and then strained and drizzled over the cooked chicken. I also didn’t make the whole spice mixture for garnishing and just toasted and sprinkled some white sesame on top. The marinade and dredge are so flavorful it seemed unnecessay. I really don’t love very sweet savory dishes, and this worked.

6 Likes

thanks for the link - i’m going to make this soon, since I have my own kimchi!

2 Likes

Dang, I need a goat to clean out my back yard.

5 Likes

Ooohhh, your own kimchi! That should be fabulous. I was a little short on kimchi, but it was still fabulous.

1 Like

you do! two - they don’t like to be alone. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, pepperoncini in the Mississippi roast

We have community goat herds up here, but mainly in Seattle - love to watch them munching away. They even take care of the wild blackberries, which are invasive and really wicked, thorn wise. Have never eaten goat that I know of, but have had some very strange tasting meat in a foreign country, which may have been ?? Won’t say which one, lest it be misconstrued as un PC.

2 Likes

I’ll be un-PC. Google says there is lots of goat meat in Seattle at completely unreasonable prices. It looks like it’s boutique stuff. It would seem that the easy solution of eating the sustainable community goat herds is not on the radar screen, probably due to the same thinking that makes it so hard for me to shoot the deer that traipse through my back yard.

Most of the goat I’ve eaten has been in the Caribbean. Some in Eastern Europe. It’s good. Good taste, good texture, doesn’t seem to get tough the way sheep does as the animal gets older.

6 Likes

I am making so much Aji Amarillo paste.

3 Likes

Lol @Auspicious - knew you’d take this on…truth is I would probably love goat meat, and hear it’s the most widely eaten meat on the planet. I find that hard to believe however. Might even love mutton, as I like the funk, and gaminess, as some call it. Love game too, as well, but am aware of the JK variant in herds, so won’t eat wild meat from certain areas of US, even if I could find it. Don’t doubt the boutique goat meat in Seattle, and can’t wait to try some new restos, if such even exist after QT. May be awhile. I have found a dairy about 100 miles away which specializes in fresh sheep’s milk and cheeses. I’ve been on the hunt for sheep’s milk in this country for 30 years now. Camel milk is available in Seattle area, would be interesting to try. Not keen on trying camel steak or burgers really, ever. Ok, back to WFD.

2 Likes

OMG I’M SO HAPPY YOU GOT IT!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. The pictures in Sababa are beautiful and I look forward to cooking from it.

1 Like

Yes they are, I got the wonderful rec from @Rooster. Very approachable recipes too @MsBean.

2 Likes

I am happy too. I also got Israeli Soul and Zahav by Solomonav and Cook through the Food Festival. I seem to have an obsession with Levantine cuisine. The next book on my list is Falastin by Sami Tamimi.

2 Likes

I’ve been putting the sauce in a bowl and eating it with a spoon.

2 Likes

Yesterday I made a mild Filipino “Macanese”/Portuguese chicken curry with a couple of potatoes and homegrown carrots. Kiddo had his with a few soba noodles. It went over well.

Tonight I took the leftover smoked chicken carcass and a chunk of ham from the freezer and made ramen. We went light on the noodles and served with b/s chicken thighs poached in the broth, homemade kimchi (turned out yum!) L, poached egg, sesame sauteed Napa cabbage, ponzu-butter corn, and a side of garden snow peas with scallion-ginger butter and soy sauce. Also enjoyed.

20 Likes