What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

After a dbl burger and tater dinner, all I craved was a Greek yogurt bowl. Fresh pineapple, grated ginger, basil seeds, dried bee pollen, dried apricots, both rhubarb and cherry compote, pumpkin seeds, dried coriander.

19 Likes

Hmmm, thinking it may purify the system somewhat after the double Kobe with cheese and avocado - no judgments here, only green eyed envy, for the burger. Haven’t had it or waygu yet ever. Yogurt bowl delicious looking too, just not in the same way

2 Likes

It was a doozy burger. I don’t eat a lot of meat generally but when I do
,and since owning the torch
it’s been a gas figuring out how to best use it. The yogurt bowl was just what I wanted tonight. I made dw a poached salmon salad
she actually likes a fish!

2 Likes

A big-ass pork chop seasoned with olive oil and s/p, grilled on the grill pan, finished in the oven, glazed with some orange-ginger sauce I pulled out of the freezer.

Roasted Yukon Gold taters, seasoned with olive oil, s/p, and Penzeys Mural of Flavor blend (salt free, hence the addition of s/p) and steamed asparagus.

Wine alongside. A good Wednesday dinner.

18 Likes

Tonight was oven baked country style ribs, finished with spicy bbq sauce; roasted butternut squash and brussels. Supernatural brownies for an after dinner treat. It’s been an excruciatingly long week and it’s only 
who the hell knows what day it is anymore?! Forgot to take a pic.

9 Likes

I’m losing track of the days too. I started using a calendar.

2 Likes

Made a batch of hummus and had some for dinner with olives and a soft boiled egg.

18 Likes

@Rooster and @MAH - you guys are doing good! Am losing track of the months
:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Looks really good, and perfect plate for serving!

1 Like

Love the plate, as well

1 Like

Couple dinners: roasted cherry tomato pasta w/garlic bread from sourdough ends, and grill pan halibut tacos.

Pasta for meatless Monday, fish tacos for Taco Tuesday. We must follow conventions here @ Casa lambchop. Oh the basil counted as the green veg in the pasta -ha and the fish was wild caught halibut, but previously frozen. Excellent quality though.

13 Likes

All my favorites on your dinner plate!:grin:

2 Likes

Goats are one meat I can’t eat. They make strong eye contact and look so wise. So human.

2 Likes

Tonight’s dinner - a favorite from the 80’s and 90’s, honey chili chicken, with Calrose rice, sautĂ©ed Swiss chard and garlic, green onions for garnish, all from the garden. BTW, green onions are from the root end of supermarket green onions, planted in the garden.

12 Likes

I believe wine is a everyday essential during these times .

4 Likes

Yesterday was a good time for Serious Eats’ (Kenji’s recipe) hot Korean fried chicken sandwich. I pretty much followed the recipe but instead of the kimchi/mayo sauce, I made a kimchi/gochujang aioli since my son doesn’t love commercial mayo (sigh.) I also dressed the cabbage with the aioli instead of spreading it on the bread, and made a tofu version for my veggie son.

We all agreed that this was really good and will be repeated soon. Next time, I’m looking forward to using boneless thighs, since all I had was breasts that needed to be used up. It was wonderful anyway. They had theirs deconstructed with a Portuguese sweet bread muffin on the side, and I ate mine as a messy but satisfying sandwich.

I spared you the sad-looking but flavorful side of frozen spinach cooked with garlic, sesame oil and kimchi juice.

20 Likes

I just got a copy of Adeena Sussman’s book Sababa - Fresh, Sunny Flavors from My Israeli Kitchen thanks to @CurlzNJ and the Great Big Jewish Food Festival discussed on HO. It is a beautiful book and I can’t wait to try many of the recipes. The first one I made was Chard-wrapped Fish with Lemon and Olive as I got chard in my CSA box and Mr Bean went fishing AGAIN! Served with a carrot salad made with carrots from the CSA box too. Their greens were so beautiful I added them to the salad along with mint, cilantro, Aleppo pepper. and lemon.

16 Likes

Beautiful @MsBean, and I love Sababa too!

i actually find their eyes very beautifully alien, but i love them so much.

however, I am guilty of having eaten goat 2-3 times in the 5 years since I started volunteering with them. :sob:

17 Likes

Hah - I’m scratching marks into the wall prison style.

2 Likes