What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

Tonight we had pizzas made with prepared whole wheat dough from our supermarket grocery delivery. Veggie crudités on the side because I can’t be bothered with real sides right now. Long week. There was wine.

16 Likes

Nice variety!

1 Like

Happy July 4th from España and all our best wishes during these very challenging times …

6 Likes

I am sure you know this but:

Italian Fennel bulb is a lightly anise tasting and aromatic vegetable … Which we adore. It is amazing with fresh orange slices … or tomato or red onion or green scallion …

Fennel seed is a dried spice used predominately in Indian Cuisine. I have never used it however, we enjoy going to an Indian Restaurant when we visit The Madrid Capital, which is located very close to the British Embassy …

Have a wonderful weekend.

@Barca, how very nice of you to recognize our American holiday, and thank you for your gracious wishes. Trying times indeed, but hoping for better days. Best to you and yours! :us: :es:

1 Like

Sort of like this, but I’ve also done it roasted and peeled, without the parboil. Not sure which is more work, but when I paf boil, I always want to re-use the water, and “away-we-go”.

Now I’ll have to make

Or
https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1717661

4 Likes

Thanks, Barca. Since those '70s camping days we’ve definitely come to know and love fennel in all its forms. I love it simply braised with white wine and EVOO, a perfect accompaniment to many protein courses. And what would a fish soup be without fennel?

1 Like

SWMBO declared today a cleaning day and we’re beat. Dinner will be our third order of take-away since February. Mexican/Salvedorean.

1 Like

I celebrated the 4th by cleaning the range hood this morning. I told dh that we were eating NOTHING but Wheaties for the next month! On the bright side, think of all that grease we didn’t ingest!

2 Likes

Saturday Lunch … Prawns with Asian Noodles, green Spanish Roman beans and a lovely white wine …

14 Likes

You are welcome.
Best to you and your´s.

14 Likes

I love fennel too especially in a simple Italian salad with oranges and especially blood oranges …

I also love it as a cruditie with an aged gorgonzola or aged cabrales blue vein cheese …

I use it in my Venetian Minnestrone in the late autumn and winter. I have never prepared a fish soup with it however, I have prepared a classic Italian vegetable soup with it, Zuppa di Inverno. Basically leek, fennel, parsnips, celery, potato, carrot, vegetable stock, zucchine or courgette, garlic and snipped chives.

Have a nice holiday weekend.

2 Likes

Mo Weber and me got together after too many months apart. (he was locked away in the garage behind a door that wouldn’t be opened. Since last October! Had to call in a “professional” to spring my griller loose.)

Mo appreciated being liberated and cooked us up a hickory smoked cheese & potato casserole. And beef burgers…

14 Likes

Love these!

Grilled cheeseburgers (barbecue cheddar for me), green salad with wineberry vinaigrette, tots, and Swiss chard with leeks. It was tasty, but today feels like a national day of mourning.

My neighbor and her GF are coming for socially-distant drinks on the porch after baby bedtime. First time hosting since end of Feb or early Mar. :disappointed_relieved:

17 Likes

Too terrific, @ChristinaM

Seems Burgers have a way of winning the day.

Blessings on you and your neighbors tonight.

2 Likes

Quiet day.
Dinner was just OK.
Dessert was fair.

Chicken thighs dredged in some Drake’s Fry Mix that had been highly recommended, and oven-baked. Probably would have been better with a LOT more seasoning added to the mix and doing a proper fry in hot oil. But since I’ve failed at that several times, I didn’t go down that road.

Potato, corn and pea salad was the lone side. A bit too much mayo mix, and a bit bland, but the bacon crumbles I added helped.

There WAS wine, and Lemon Posset with blackberry compote and raspberries for dessert. But I even screwed that up, despite having made it many times.

Pfffftttt.

19 Likes

Homemade crab cakes drizzled with Sriracha aioli over a spinach and red onion salad with lemon vinaigrette. Good balance of creaminess and acidity. Side of mashed potatoes and frizzled zucchini (which was a successful air fryer experiment).

There were martinis.

23 Likes

Mrs. P made crunchy deep fried soft shell crabs and shrimp with home made guacamole, chips, and home grown purple basil, with the capers, butter, fresh herbs, and vermouth sauce that we had with the red snapper. We also had some crispy TJ’s sweet potato fries with Mike’s hot honey. It all went great with a bourbon barrel aged cabernet and Cotes Du Rhone.

22 Likes