What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

I’m a sucker for hot sauces. We brought a bunch of different ones home with us so I haven’t had to look for any yet. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I’ll stumble across is somewhere.

Wow! The second ingredient! I’ve been experimenting with recipes for years, and I’ve ever noticed that!

Wow - if you figure it out let me know then I won’t have to search! Good Luck!

Homemade pizzas and champagne because it’s Friday.

13 Likes

Leftover soup and curry - no pic as nothing new. Normal food tomorrow! :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:

2 Likes

Mrs. P made a very refreshing watermelon salad with feta, mascarpone, pistachios, pickled red onions, arugula, fresh homegrown mint, in a balsamic reduction. It was an excellent start to a crab fest featuring Dungeness crab and Alaskan king crab claws. We had TJ’s sweet potato fries on the side. It all went great with a nice red blend aged in rum barrels.

11 Likes

Dinner at my sister’s and BIL’s house after antiquing with Sis for her birthday in Acushnet, MA. It was a place we hadn’t been to, and it was worth the trip. I got her a wicked creepy English garden gnome hiding behind a mushroom for her birthday (hey, she wanted it!)

and I got myself a copper hammered/pressed ladle, both for short money.

No pics of dinner, but dinner was ginger-lime grilled chicken, honey-garlic grilled shrimp and my Thai pasta salad with veggies.

Dessert was cupcakes and lobster tails/sfogliatelle from Guarino’s Pastry Shop in Norwood, MA. These were the BEST damn lobster tails I’ve ever had. Flaky, with a perfect, not-too-sweet filling. Pic is from their website.

I’m full. And I got some hugs from Sis and BIL. :heart:

21 Likes

Joyeuse fête nationale, a little late!

Bean salad tonight, with RG Marcella beans, slivered Spanish chorizo, quick sauteed chopped garlic, celery & carrots, spring onion, lovely bright yellow zucchini, even lovelier purple cauli (slightly steamed), and cherry toms i got from the FM, with a smoked paprika/sherry vinegar dressing. Pan con tomate on the side, with crumbled manchego. everything was good, but the pan con tomate - swoony, every time.

16 Likes

nice haul! those sfogliatelle look fantastic!

2 Likes

Nice find . Super creepy gnome.

2 Likes

Tonight, I made crispy pork belly.

Poked holes in the skin after a brief blanch, dry-rubbed salt and five spice on the meat, then salt + baking soda on the skin. After a day’s rest, rubbed off the skin and neutralized the baking soda with a touch of vinegar. Roasted until the skin was super bubbly, scraped, oiled and finished until golden brown. There are secret tricks involving vodka and other unusual things done to the skin, but this was more than good enough for me.

23 Likes

Ohhhhh, MY! That looks amazing!

3 Likes

Ooooo. @jon914, that pork belly is making me covet my neighbor’s goods.

Oh well…

You guys are always posting about blistered green beans, so I gave them a try. I didn’t grow these. Also @pilgrim -inspired- stuffed-pork -loin.

15 Likes

Thanks! July till mid August here is always festive in spirit!

This looked really tasty!

That purple cauliflower! :star_struck:

1 Like

Dinner Thursday night. Spaghetti and Meatballs (ground turkey) in an homegrown tomato sauce (tomatoes from last year, frozen) served over thin spaghetti, Greek style with browned butter and Mizithra. Fresh green beans from the garden.

19 Likes

That all looks fantastic.

1 Like

Nice roulade there!

1 Like