What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

Ouuuch on the kitty scratches. Maybe a sip of wine will help? I meant for you, not your cat. :wink:

6 Likes

Oh. What wasn’t dumped on the plate and coffee table was definitely drunk. LOL

5 Likes

I promise I’ll keep it between us! :wink:

2 Likes

Ack!! Poor kitty, poor you!!

2 Likes

BF made enchiladas tonight. I brought home some pork shoulder steaks and he used one with a Oaxacan mole negro powdered mix I’ve had in the freezer forever to make enchiladas. Turned out great - he slow cooked the pork in the sauce and then thickened the sauce separately. He then shredded the pork and put it back in the sauce. Delicious. Doctored canned refried black beans, fried platano, crema, avo, and a corn salad.

19 Likes

Yesterday my kids, who last came in March, which was followed by the whole world seeming to go sideways, think their visits are jinxed. This was from a previous visit and farmed salmon reference.

2 Likes

I got a veggie sandwich from one of my favorite vegetarian sandwich places last week and noticed that they were also selling frozen packages of the various kinds of fake meat that they use. I bought a package of the “chicken steak”. Used a few slices of this today to make a sandwich with cheese and avocado.

15 Likes

I made a trip to the Asian Grocery last week and had some veggies to use up. As is usual, I ended up making a Thai-inspired curry. I always have a selection of Maesri Curry Pastes on hand as they make putting the dish together quick and easy. This time I used Panang Curry Paste. You may notice that the curry was bean sprout heavy - I always buy a big bag of sprouts and then struggle to use them up before they go bad.

13 Likes

Today was a two tart day. Or to be more accurate, one zucchini and summer squash tart and one blackberry crostata from foraged berries.

26 Likes

They both look pretty dang fab @tomatotomato. Enjoy!!

2 Likes

Well @Rooster, here is your pork tenderloin!

To everyone else, I found his recipe by lurking through some old HO posts. Three ingredients: the pork, hoisin sauce, and sweet onions. While he served his with noodles, I did mine over garlic mashed potatoes.

Other than finishing my onions by putting the roasting pan on the stove while the pork rested for a few minutes, everything else was followed to the letter. Tender and delicious!

18 Likes

Tell me, what is not to love @gcaggiano? Know you enjoyed…

2 Likes

Looking very good @gcaggiano! I may have to give that tip a try myself. Mashed look excellent.

2 Likes

It was a great combination of flavors. The garlic in the potatoes really added to it.

The door of my fridge is now 90% Asian condiments/sauces but no hoisin. Bought it today and it must have been years since I last had it. I actually put some into a small bowl to dip the pork into!

2 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Thank you! And thanks for the recipe!

1 Like

I’m a big fan of hoisin myself. Drizzled on most veg; especially broccoli. Try it on fish.

3 Likes

Happy it was to your liking.

1 Like

Dinner last night - 3 types of pies: combo, Greek and our version of a Fearless, which includes bacon, onion, lots of garlic, pepperoncini and mozzarella cheese. All delicious & leftovers for tonight. Enough veg on pizzas to count lol.

16 Likes

stunning, especially the veggie one!

1 Like