What's for Dinner #59 - the Summertime Covid Blues Edition - July 2020

Yes, I have already found a recipe online for those meatballs. CC: @MsBean who won’t be surprised. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s one sexy hunk of beef! LOL

1 Like

That made my mouth water.

The cocktail is right up my alley.

2 Likes

omg on that hunk!

1 Like

What took you so long?

1 Like

Tonight we made lightly smoked salmon dusted with herbes de Provence, buttered green beans, roasted rainbow beets, and garden salad with white Stilton with apricots and orange muscat vinaigrette. The kiddo had salmon, tater tots (I snagged a few), tasted most of the veg, and went on to have a bowl of whole milk yogurt with wineberries and coconut flakes, a banana, AND half a bowl of cereal(!).

22 Likes

Here’s the recipe: https://youtu.be/2qwhQZqbVn0

We would reduce the sugar to 1/3 c. and cut the vanilla by half. It’s pretty sweet, and I think the cheese flavor should dominate more. No extra egg yolks or lemon juice in this recipe - the latter would have been good.

1 Like

Those beets are beautiful as is the salmon and the salad.

5 Likes

That looks freaking AHMAYYYYYZING!!! Those beets are so beautiful, as is the rest of the meal!

2 Likes

Hi Ev! I admit that I totally cheat at those harissa meatballs. You can too.

If you have a neutral-tasting meatball in tomato sauce, you can amp up the sauce by mixing in prepared harissa to taste. Sometimes I add a splash of olive oil to meld the sauce together. Additional tomato goes in if needed, such as the Pomi chopped tomato sauce in the box.

Ssshhh, don’t tell anyone.

3 Likes

TJs Sweet Corn, Burrata, and Basil Ravioli with sweet corn puree and crusty buttered roll.

Holy CRAP this was good! The corn puree came out perfect (about a cup of fresh frozen corn off the cob from last year whirled in the food processor until pureed, added some heavy cream, and some s/p. Then heated on low on the stovetop).

And yes. There was wine. I have a short week of work, so it’s already Wednesday for me.

And I’m adding a caveat to the Holy CRAP statement above…it WAS good until the fat furry black and white asshole who lives with me FLEW off the back of the couch with no warning, ON to my arm, then on to the coffee table at which I’m eating, knocking over said glass of wine on to the ravs and the sauce AND the no longer crusty roll, then off the coffee table on to the floor and up the stairs.

I was able to save most of the rest of my meal and the wine. My arm, however, has some war wounds.

Do cats have night terrors?

15 Likes

Ouuuch on the kitty scratches. Maybe a sip of wine will help? I meant for you, not your cat. :wink:

6 Likes

Oh. What wasn’t dumped on the plate and coffee table was definitely drunk. LOL

5 Likes

I promise I’ll keep it between us! :wink:

2 Likes

Ack!! Poor kitty, poor you!!

2 Likes

BF made enchiladas tonight. I brought home some pork shoulder steaks and he used one with a Oaxacan mole negro powdered mix I’ve had in the freezer forever to make enchiladas. Turned out great - he slow cooked the pork in the sauce and then thickened the sauce separately. He then shredded the pork and put it back in the sauce. Delicious. Doctored canned refried black beans, fried platano, crema, avo, and a corn salad.

19 Likes

Yesterday my kids, who last came in March, which was followed by the whole world seeming to go sideways, think their visits are jinxed. This was from a previous visit and farmed salmon reference.

2 Likes

I got a veggie sandwich from one of my favorite vegetarian sandwich places last week and noticed that they were also selling frozen packages of the various kinds of fake meat that they use. I bought a package of the “chicken steak”. Used a few slices of this today to make a sandwich with cheese and avocado.

15 Likes

I made a trip to the Asian Grocery last week and had some veggies to use up. As is usual, I ended up making a Thai-inspired curry. I always have a selection of Maesri Curry Pastes on hand as they make putting the dish together quick and easy. This time I used Panang Curry Paste. You may notice that the curry was bean sprout heavy - I always buy a big bag of sprouts and then struggle to use them up before they go bad.

13 Likes