What's For Dinner #58 - the Uncertain Certain Summertime Edition -June 2020

I cooked a brisket sous vide for 36 hrs. at 155, a la Kenji Lopez-Alt, and then smoked it at 200 for an hr. It was too lean and turned out rather dry, so I wrapped it in foil and put it in a low oven with the exuded juices to try and salvage it. It was edible, but disappointing. I think I’ll slice the leftovers and warm them in the leftover juices and some unsalted beef broth. I went easy on the salt and pepper since Kenji’s quantities sounded off, but it was still too salty. I grabbed the brisket right at the start of the quarantine, and it was a flat cut, so I think that was the problem. It needed some fat. Anyway, it was nice and smoky and passable with Jasper White’s Boston baked beans (done in the Instant Pot) and some slaw.

On Friday night we had a hankering for grilled pizza. The crust is Roberta’s dough from NYT, with a 1/4 cup of sourdough starter for good measure. It’s my favorite dough recipe so far. The grilled dough is brushed with garlic oil and covered with tomatoes, fontina, asiago and parm. It definitely scratched the itch.

18 Likes

IMHO… when served with love, even fails nourish the soul.
Ya did good, @bear.

9 Likes

A pseudo French dip, maybe, to help with the moisture?

3 Likes

Good idea. Maybe using the juices and broth when I gently reheat it. I was also thinking grilled cheese, brisket and caramelized onions on sourdough.

4 Likes

That sounds fantastic too - not much melted cheese can’t fix :joy:

4 Likes

Cool idea… I overdid it at the the Farmers Market.

2 Likes

Thank you Dan and Denise and all other well wishers. Back in the saddle

5 Likes

I hope you enjoy it. I liked it with the wahoo as it is a bit more flavorful than the fishes they suggested.

1 Like

Catching up from a nice longish weekend. Friday night we did curb-side pick up from a local place that would normally have their outdoor paella nights event. My sis and her hubby meet us in our backyard for a nice meal, some laughter (all to rare these days), and relaxing. Starters were cheeses, olives, etc. Then a tomato stone fruit salad, and paella. Boys did the meat paella and sis and I shared a veggie one and paella negro. A lot of sangria was had. :grin:

1F160064-8EA8-4CB0-8FF9-45AADECAF9C1

Last night was a quesadilla with seasoned ground turkey, cabbage, and a corn/watermelon salad (corn, red onion, jalapeño, watermelon, feta, mint, lime juice, and evoo).

15 Likes

Back to takeout today with our monthly Thai fix at Ammata Thai. Everything was excellent as always and went great with a nice Cotes Du Rhone. Our colorful Canna lilies are starting sprout. We enjoyed phad phed beef; spicy papaya salad; crispy tempura battered betel leaves with a nice dip of grilled shrimp, shallots, roasted coconut, peanuts, in a chili lime sauce; crab dip; Chicken larb Chiang Mai; spicy Southern crab curry. I had them make everything extra spicy.

16 Likes

Rib eye with that delicious morel sauce - but I used FM maitakes this time, and subbed sour cream because we’re out of heavy cream. A little thyme, too, instead of chives. Still ridiculously good. Garlicky broccoli rabe and corn on the cob slathered in TBSTOB.

15 Likes

I grew up eating that dish (we’re Bolivian, they also make that dish) and I never liked it - my dad always ordered it - because the meat was always dry, like every time. i finally make it myself a couple years ago using filet mignon and i liked it! what kind of steak did the BF use? Soy sauce is typical as there is a very large Asian community in both countries.

2 Likes

In that order? Was that the beef in the first picture? I want to try that.

1 Like

“homemade ricotta with figs, prosciutto, and an apricot compote” to say nothing of the unctuous grilled bread…
47%20PM
This alone was worth the cost of admission. It goes onto my “must copy for dinner party course” list. Many thanks.

12 Likes

Yes, the phad phed beef was in the first picture. It was excellent and had a nice kick to it. It contained stir-fried Beef tenderloin, red chili paste, green peppercorn, Thai eggplant, red chili, string bean, kaffir lime leaves and,Thai basil.

1 Like

Yes, that was an excellent combination and the buttered grilled bread was the perfect vessel for the combined ingredients.

Khao kha moo in the Instant Pot - Thai braised pork hock/leg dish with rice, broccolini, pickled mustard greens, and a hard boiled egg.

18 Likes

Chili Dogs & Corn. Would have been Michigan Coney Islands, but had no yellow mustard. :frowning_face:

14 Likes

Brunch today was Indian street food style toasted Veggie sandwiches. Today I used mint chutney, boiled potato, red bell pepper, red onion, and Amul cheese, which is a processed cheese from India. I bought it on my last trip to the Indian store to try out. DH’s sandwich had tomatoes too. Pan fried in butter and served with Maggi Hot and Sweet sauce for dipping.

Dinner was chicken enchiladas with Mexican rice. Everyone had seconds. My 16yo ate 6 enchiladas!

19 Likes

How shocked is your brother that people are now smoking out of something that requires a battery and charger? :relieved: