What's For Dinner #58 - the Uncertain Certain Summertime Edition -June 2020

Those potatoes :heart_eyes:

Well, it was just a chicken sandwich and frozen fries! LOL I call that “barely cooking”. But thank you. :smiley:

1 Like

Thursday Lunch: A standard pasta with truffles dish on our monthly lunch menus at home.

15 Likes

Lovely “White Pizza” with greens …

1 Like

@paryzer Behold what we got this week! Thanks to you. It’s fun to use and definitely has helped with some of the rougher wines we’ve opened recently.

To stay on topic, we’re eating chicken pesto pizza and a shrimp scampi pizza from a local joint to accompany the red wine (a cheap, but decent, off-shoot of Caymus).

Sorry about the photo orientation… I just can’t deal with it right now. Because pizza and wine.

11 Likes

Cool! I hope you enjoy it. It helps make some undrinkable wines drinkable, and helps open up the younger wines.

Those pizzas sound really good.

3 Likes

I made pasta In the style of Turkish manti: topped with mint-garlic yogurt, sweet tomato-butter sauce, seasoned ground beef, and topped with melted butter, Urfa and Aleppo chilies, and sumac. Served with homemade hummus and flatbread, grilled zukes, and butter snap peas. Raspberries over yellow cake with sweetened vanilla whipped cream for dessert.

24 Likes

DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME.
Please. Do not do this at home.

11 Likes

Terrible pic of deep fried prawns. I was trying to snag a shot before dh dug in. In all events, these were my finest effort. Lighter than air, shatteringly crisp, tender as love, briny. “With all due modesty…” Sorry about the photo.

20 Likes

Nice looking bread!

1 Like

A few recent dinners: last night was retro
night in honor of a friend’s birthday. We used to eat this meal, in her bf’s sports car at a drive in with, yes, car hops!! Pepperoni pizza w/shrooms, onion rings, and fabulous fresh banana milkshakes. This was after skipping crappy cafeteria lunch, studying, skipping afternoon classes, or whatever, and then being famished.

First pic, sous vide pork loin for 2.5 hours, rubbed with Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning, finished on grill, with juices, mashed Jamaican style sweet orange potatoes, slaw. All good. Pizza was take n bake, just so so. Onion rings were fab, with house made tempura batter. And leftover pork made great sandwiches with slaw. Pics to come of stuffed pepper meal, another reminder of years past.

18 Likes

We had takeout from our favorite Thai restaurant tonight. Creatures of habit that we are, I ordered my usual Pad Prik Khing chicken at the highest spice level and Justin had the Tamarind Chicken, the sauce of which is liquid gold. Side of Thai fried rice.

Before that, we tried a cheese we picked up at Wegmans today. Its their own cave-aged French cheese called “Showmmmz” (yes, three M’s). While it smells like a sweaty sock, Anthony Bourdain always said the worse the smell, the better the taste. Thankfully this does NOT taste like a sock! Creamy and very salty. But would I get it again? No. While it had the creaminess of brie and the saltiness of a strong bleu, I just could not shake that musty scent. Call me uncultured, but it really threw me off.

And as a side note, I picked these up for my BF who has been on a margarita kick lately. It was really good! Tasted like it was supposed to. No aftertaste. Much better than White Claw and the like. Took a few sips, but stuck with vodka.

19 Likes

BF’s pot roast that he started 2 days ago. He started it too late for dinner on Tuesday, and i was at my sister’s last night - gave the flavors ample time to marry. SUPER juicy, tender, and delish. Also a yummy beet and basil salad, using whole leaves of basil rather than the usual chiffonade. He did a great job.

17 Likes

Stuffed peppers from Tuesday night, onion ring prep from last night. Note circa 1950’s Sunbeam deep fryer. :upside_down_face:

14 Likes

Mrs. P made that gorgeous 2 1/2 pound red snapper that we bought from Local 130 Seafood :yum:

18 Likes

Love the color. I would love that fish .

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

English muffins with home made apricot and plum jam.

14 Likes

I made Seafood & Beans @emglow101!

Ayocote Blanco Beans, Olive Oil, Salt Pork, Leeks, Garlic, Carrots, Celery Seed, Bay Leaves, White Pepper, Smoked Salt & Skosh of Vinegar for finish, Fennel Sprig

This was the first time I cooked this bean. :heart: They’re sturdy and a little starchy (potato-like), but very creamy, tender, really delicious and make a great broth.

Clams, Black Tiger Shrimp, Big Sweet Scallops (quartered), Wine, Fennel, Tomato, Beans, Turmeric, Olive Oil, Garlic Oil, Butter, Salt, Crushed Red Pepper, Lemon, Garlic Chive & Fennel Sprig Garnish

I had saffron in the cabinet waiting to be used, but it must’ve gotten tired of waiting and moved to the neighbor’s house… I couldn’t find it, and used turmeric for a little color instead. Placed seafood on top of cooked beans (clams first), cooked covered until they opened (about 5 minutes total). Everything cooked perfectly. Unfortunately, no mussels - fishmonger said he didn’t like how they looked and rejected them, but this combo worked out well.

20 Likes

wow! Looks delicious

2 Likes