What's For Dinner #58 - the Uncertain Certain Summertime Edition -June 2020

I’m very lucky

Thank you. Mr Bean was a little perturbed as he would have preferred to have caught it himself.

1 Like

Boiled pork and chive dumplings from the freezer, and some mustard greens.

18 Likes

To bring back the old references…you hit my battleship. Dead on

Last night’s dinner: Balsamic grilled chicken, roasted red peppers, and mozzarella. Side of sautéed broccoli rabe and baked rosemary potato chips that didn’t quite work.

16 Likes

They must be schooling or something around here; I was down by Spring Lake yesterday afternoon and overheard some folks talking about their plans for the tuna that someone had reeled in earlier that day. I used to eat a lot of seafood in the summer when I was pre-vegetarian, so to ease my nostalgia I slapped some Old Bay and lemon on a chunk of tempeh and called it a day.

4 Likes

that is one bodacious chop.

2 Likes

Dinner last night; Copper River Salmon (King, or as commonly called around here, Chinook) on the grill, and sides. I ate more than pictured on my plate. Delicious! It’s a big deal when the first of the season is flown in by Alaska Airlines, and was going for $60/lb. We got our filet for $13.99/lb! :blush:
Oh, the name is a marketing gambit; I can assure you it doesn’t in fact come from the Copper River, unless you have native fishing rights, which don’t include commercial sales. You can buy native caught fish casually, however, if up there.

15 Likes

Evidently there is a lot of bunker very close in to the shore. They’ve been catching tuna 15 miles off shore. When I told Mr Bean I had tuna he thought I said I saw tuna (The Sprout and I were on Manasquan Beach yesterday). No tuna but we did see a whale swimming by.

11 Likes

Nice bread ya got there.

1 Like

Whoa, very cool! I’ll keep an eye out next time I’m down there.

Agree on the bread @RedJim & thanks for pointing it out - was too busy looking at the filling to notice the bread. It does indeed look good! Hope you enjoyed @gcaggiano! Nice looking sandwich in its entirety.

2 Likes

Dinner had to be simple tonight. Son #2 and I did weed chopping around the manse, and I was e-x-h-a-u-s-t-e-d.

Corn on the Cob from somewhere other than Michigan. Oven roasted. Kroger Italian Sausage links fried stove top. Both worked terrifically.

18 Likes

Tub of turkey chili from the freezer.
On ditalini.
Grated sharp cheddar.
Sour cream.
Wine.
Dinner.
4 day weekend.
I’m good.

22 Likes

I’ve lived here for more 20 years and I think this was the first time I saw a whale. I have seen dolphins many times. We saw this whale breech several times. I have about 20 pictures and that was the only one that you could actually tell there was a whale.

5 Likes

Bun Bo Nuong, inspired by @aussieshepsx2. Small piece of already grilled steak/beef from the freezer. sliced thin and marinated all day in fish sauce, sesame oil, lemon juice, a little water, grapeseed oil, minced garlic & lemongrass, chili flakes, and light brown sugar. Made nuoc cham with serranos, jalapenos, and scallions. Cooked/cooled the bun, and topped with all the veg: Quickled cabbage & carrots, cukes, purple radishes, cilantro, basil, mint, and radish sprouts. Also fried crispy spring onion (instead of shallots). Seared the beef, took it out of the pan and added in the marinade until that thickened, then tossed the meat back in to coat. Chopped garlic peanuts over all. BF adds sriracha and hoisin at table. Very light, spicy, and tasty! I prefer pork with my bun nuong but this was a good use of leftover beef. It still had that nice grilled, smoky taste to it.

18 Likes

Takeout! I made the kiddo tuna salad with crackers and cantaloupe before bedtime. DH picked up hot chicken with sides (mashed and gravy and green beans for me, collards and corn pudding for him) for our dinner.

21 Likes

Anniversary dinner tonight (was actually yesterday but we both worked late so celebrated today).

Started out with bacon-wrapped scallops. Maple-soy glaze. We both worked on this.

Main course: Lobster Newburg. The old fashioned American classic. What’s in Lobster Newburg, you may wonder? Nothing that’s good for you. But I wanted our anniversary dinner to be luxurious. What could be better than lobster (and shrimp), butter, cream, cheddar, and cognac? Exactly. Our cholesterol may have risen a hundred points, but the BF said this was the best dish I’ve ever made. I’ll take it. Served over one of his homemade buns (instead of the traditional toast points), and with rice pilaf and asparagus. We both contributed tonight.

There were cocktails…and wine!

27 Likes

@gcaggiano - check out the nostalgia thread if you haven’t already. I listed Lobster Newburg as a retro recipe I wanted to make soon. Happy Anniversary to you both!

2 Likes

Happy anniversary! The meal looks incredible. ‘She’s your lobster.” (Words of wisdom from Friends.).

3 Likes