What's For Dinner #58 - the Uncertain Certain Summertime Edition -June 2020

The cooking BF? Oh… Different post.

I’m with you 100% on the Thai Kitchen curry pastes. I bought a jar in a pinch, used it once, and tossed it. I hardly ever throw stuff away, rather, I try to doctor it up, but felt the paste was beyond help @Saregama.

2 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

Oops! Watching Top Chef and I think its white truffle salt I have,

I have never seen white truffle salt, wow. Black truffle salt only.

I recently cleaned out my spice cabinet and found a neglected jar of black truffle salt that had gotten funky. Not in a good way. I had to discard.

I made this mistake so you don’t have to. Savor that salt of yours!

1 Like

Your H should participate in our veggie garden thread! Last year I did some peas, but not this year. I’ve never bought that thing for the plants to climb.

1 Like

I had bought 2 jars in a fine grocery store a few years ago when travelling in Marseilles, one for myself and one for a neighbour for helping out something, tasted it when it was fresh, no truffle taste and disappointed. My neighbour must hate me.

1 Like

Is it Urbani brand? I love it - a great flavor booster.

1 Like

I’m guessing your neighbor is simply delighted that you are a considerate person! In my opinion truffle salt is a bit of an adventure, in that I may or may not be happy with the jar.

We’ve brought back a couple of jars from our travels to Italy, and so far all have listed “aroma” as an ingredient. I believe that means a fragrance/flavor agent has been added.

Overall, preserved truffle butter in a jar has been the better bet for me—though I still have a newer jar of salt waiting to be opened.

3 Likes

Hope you’ll get what you are looking for this time.

Most truffle condiment are just the aroma, a man-made chemical, with nothing to do with the real mushroom. Truffle oil is also a hit and miss. I’ve never tried truffle butter.

4 Likes

I checked to be sure, and it was black after all. Whole Spice in Napa has both, but my order history says I got the black two and a half years ago.

1 Like

Pizza night. Onion, Brussels sprouts, salami, potato slices, and Gruyere. The onion and potato slices were cooked with rosemary before going on the za.

18 Likes

Some French friends brought us a bottle of truffle salt a few years ago. It was quite good, with pieces of truffle in it. I never thought to look at the list of ingredients, which is printed in very small print. Well, now I looked. Salt, pieces of truffle, aroma.

1 Like

I was gifted an amazing jar of black truffle salt, by a friend whose family member made it. It was sublime sprinkled liberally on a whole chicken before cooking on an electric rotisserie. I still have the jar, tho it’s mostly gone, will have to check. Had a failed, possibly totally kitchen project I need to clean up now. Will report back. Have various oils too, but they are made with fake esters of truffle.

3 Likes

Looks simply wonderful, with a taste to match, I’m sure.

1 Like

that looks so melty good.

2 Likes

I think pieces of truffle is essential. The one I got was just with aroma.

1 Like

It’s so wrong that it is so very right!

I actually did use the curry paste in lieu of lemongrass and shallots, since both are listed in the ingredients. Then I behaved as though none of the other aromatics were included (because it’s so tasteless), and added everything else :woman_shrugging:t2:

With the noodles, I’ll know better next time to cut the time.

1 Like

Lunch at home - Friday the 5th of June …
Truffle spaghetti with grated truffle … and a French butter and Evoo dressing … with grated truff …
And a Portuguese Red 2011 …

22 Likes