What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

A middle eastern rice dish with meatballs and peas

16 Likes

yep, that cat is adorable.

1 Like

Ooh please share!

1 Like

I made Shutterbean’s ginger [turkey] meatballs in coconut turmeric broth. Served over brown rice and always a hit. Ponzu-butter grean beans on the side - the kiddo ate SEVERAL🤯

16 Likes

Cinco de Mayo so I felt like I should make tacos. They probably weren’t all that authentic but they were tasty. My tortillas were absolutely not behaving but they ended up ok. Marinated the chicken in lime, paprika, oregano, garlic, paprika, chili powder, cumin and salt all day. Sides of rice, black beans, avocado, slaw of cilantro, red onion and cabbage and a faux sour cream. Sadly, no tequila so we had make do with wine :sob:

19 Likes

I too went with tacos for Cinco de Mayo. I thought about making tortillas and then thought better of it. Tacos al Pastor and Quesadilla a la Plancha with Huitlacoche.

17 Likes

Chicken tacos/fajitas for us as well. No pictures since I’ve taken a bunch of them already.

I had planned on this meal days ago, yet by dinnertime I was not in the mood. Heck, I didn’t even have a margarita or any booze at all! What’s wrong with me?

Had a good start to the day. Taught a class via Zoom but it was mostly blah after that.

4 Likes

that’s gorgeous!

1 Like

Chilaquiles tonight. First for the enchilada sauce, unpeeled garlic gets toasted in a hot CI pan until soft, then the chiles (watch out for them fumes!) Garlic gets peeled and chopped, chiles get soaked, and both are blended with a little broth and spices. Strained, then cooked to get rid of the raw chile flavor, then more broth is added. Simmered until thickened a bit. We had leftover tortilla chips from a recent take-out meal, which got dunked in the sauce. Chilaquiles aren’t typically made with meat but, the BF. I found packaged, smoked ribs from the mexi-mart in our freezer, heated some of the meat and chopped it up for a garnish. Cilantro, a little cotija, avo, and sour cream. I made enough of the silky, super smoky sauce for another meal!

21 Likes

Baked Rajma (Punjabi-Style Red Beans With Cream)

Hadn’t added the cream yet. I used my Rancho Gordo yellow eyes I made the night before, and cooked the aromatics before pureeing. Smells amazing!

JUST realized it was Cinco de Mayo!

With the cream…thinking about a sprinkle of Israeli feta.

19 Likes

Used the leftover smoked rib meat for taco Tuesday. Made a quick rice with some cilantro, green salsa, tomato paste, and a little chicken stock. Hit the spot.

13 Likes

My plans for delivery Mexican food fell through due to the restaurant being slammed with orders. Unfortunate but maybe not unexpected on Cinco de Mayo during shelter at home. I made some five spice chicken with rice, fried egg, nuoc cham, and some salad.

16 Likes

I have to keep myself from reading those. Really hard not to get sucked in. Ditto conversations with people who only want to talk about that. But I think it’s important for my own mental health at the moment.

I’d love to see a pic of that - absolutely photo-worthy! What’s not to love about grilled cheese and soup - yum!

2 Likes

Looks delish!

If you have more of those beans, you might enjoy a chawli / lobia recipe …

2 Likes

That looks fantastic!

1 Like

Tonight: steak, sauteed spinach, salad. Most exciting part of this was the salad was made from baby greens (kale, mustard, romaine, beet) I harvested! Kids had quesadillas and black beans for Cinco.

Last night: biryani, as I had marinated lamb shoulder and breast ribs. few days ago. Stupidly (lazily) decided to use instant pot. Stupid IP ruined my gorgeous biryani. But ruined homemade biryani is still better than no biryani, or so I told myself.

image image

17 Likes

Intrigued by the faux sour cream. Is it a commercial product, or something you came up with? Tacos look good- nice and bright!

1 Like

I should have clarified. I didn’t have sour cream so mixed some regular yogurt with a bit of lemon juice and salt. It totally fit the bill for a creamy addition.

1 Like

Intriguing- I’ve used Greek yogurt for a sour cream stand in, but never mixed anything in. I’ll have to give it a shot your way!

I find that every time I buy sour cream, I never use it before it turns. Yogurt, on the other hand, is a constant. I eat it nearly everyday!

1 Like