What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

Torch dinner while watching Joe Bonamassa stream a thon. Grass fed sausages with watermelon pickle, goat cheese and balsamic glaze on cranberry walnut bread.

11 Likes

I remember a special of skate wing piccata I once tasted at a restaurant called Catalyst in Cambridge, MA. Delicious!

BTW, I have heard that unscrupulous fish sellers cut skate wings into scallop-sized rounds and pass them off as scallops. If they were openly marketed as skate, I would want to give them a try.

2 Likes

Thank you and the same to you.

1 Like

Appetisers from our Sunday Lunch … We are now allowed to visit terraces, “outdoor dining” … NO eating inside restaurants. This was from a local bar - restaurant …

18 Likes

Good Lord, save some for me!!!

1 Like

Thanks @tomatotomato; I’ve heard they do the same with shark meat. Hope to try skate one of these days.

2 Likes

Wow!! Spectacular presentation! I can’t wait until we can finally dine out at a restaurant. In the meantime we will have to stick with gourmet takeout.

1 Like

'Twas a nice Sunday in Spring today.

Started early by unwrapping and playing a 180 gram Vinyl Remaster called Ella & Louis. Originally recorded in 1956! They’re “backup” was the Oscar Peterson Trio–Buddy Rich on Drum set (very understated). All show tunes. Louis Armstrong had a few very short Trumpet solos that were blissful…

Then nap time for Moi.

Mid day I woke and made cocktails for two. Manhattans.

Several hours later I got the knives out and worked the prep for our Sunday, Shrimp and Rice Sticks Stir Fry. Used the SE Asian Trinity Sauce. DW put the meal in her “Top Five”. But she has a bias.

It turned out well.

18 Likes

Grilled cheese burgers, tater tots, corn and asparagus. Really hit the spot tonight.

14 Likes

A nice, quiet day. Good convos with my sister in the a.m. and SIL just before dinner my time (she’s in CA), the latter for her birthday (she had a GREAT b’day weekend!)

Tsardusted and Lime Pork chop, leftover Basmati rice, and steamed asparagus. And the PSTOW.

A good weekend before the shitstorm hits for next week. It was very much appreciated.

18 Likes

Got behind on this thread. Apologies if I’ve posted any of these pics before, but don’t think so. Molly had a hard day.

20 Likes

Sounds like you had an extra nice, normal day. Dinner looks great - you continue to amaze me with your wonderful meals for one! Hope your week goes better than you expect.

2 Likes

We had some outstanding gourmet takeout from Bistro D’Azur al fresco on the deck. We enjoyed an excellent lobster with foraged mushrooms, ramps, chardonnay butter, over local asparagus; melt in your mouth filet mignon with rosemary, garlic, Spanish chips, and asparagus; refreshing seafood salad with shrimp, octopus, calamari, red onions, celery, lemon, and herb oil; Baba Ghanoush. The only disappointment was the Baba Ghanoush. It just seemed a little off; a little too acidic, and with some cumin or other spice that didn’t go with it. It all went great with an excellent Ridge red zinfandel.

18 Likes

Roasted curry chicken with cauliflower, and a side of bindi masala. Sunday has become Indian food night.

19 Likes

That’s quite an endorsement - please tell me more re: prep/recipe.

1 Like

We made turkey cheeseburgers with a side of miso butter-glazed hakurei turnips and radishes. The other two had COTC (from the freezer) as well, but I wasn’t feeling it.

16 Likes

Last dinner of May - pan seared ribeye with a baked white sweet potato. No color on the plate - veggie drawer needs replenishing. Satisfying.

21 Likes

Pork dumplings tonight. I used a SE short-cut method to cook them from frozen. You nuke them in some water, covered, then drain, dry, and fry. I toasted on all sides because it didn’t seem like the tops were fully softened from the microwave steaming. Overtoasted, to me. Still, tasty - gingery & garlicky. Green beans i made the other night with the mapo tofu (but no meat)/chili crisp treatment, and some jasmine rice.

Also made a WSJ morel cream sauce for chicken for tomorrow night’s dinner. I picked up some fresh morels from the FM on Thursday. the sauce is swoon-worthy! Can’t wait.

19 Likes

holy moley, that is a dish to hold onto, for sure…

1 Like

I ate out tonight at the Garden Tap . Gorgeous pizza Margherita , ceasar salad and a beer .

14 Likes