What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

:exploding_head::hot_face::scream::sob:

I also have that second book by Dunlop. Flipped through it very quickly when I first got it (the week it was released), once. Maybe I should have another look one of these days.

Congrats on the first ever tomatoes. :+1:

2 Likes

Ha, mine, too! For my birthday the other day, he would have happily made me dinner, but he didn’t argue when I made our favorite grilled pizza and cherry pie. We were both quite happy.

8 Likes

Did you pressure cook the beans with the milk? And how long did you need for chickpeas + white beans?

That sounds like such a strange recipe, but I’ll try it if you say it’s good!

2 Likes

How aggravating. Honest mistake? Was there an explanation?

[quote=“bear, post:746, topic:21432, full:true”]

Ha, mine, too! For my birthday the other day, he would have happily made me dinner, but he didn’t argue when I made our favorite grilled pizza and cherry pie. We were both quite happy.

This makes me laugh. It’s Freaky Friday every day at our house almost. H has taken over all cooking and kitchen duties, plus shopping. He loves it, and I just let him do it. I’ve found there’s a real disconnect for me with cooking, when I’m not shopping due to high risk. I watch him unload, and look at the receipts, but I still forget what he’s hunted and gathered.

He’s on a river rafting trip in Montana currently, so I’ve lost my personal chef. I did make ramen noodles last night after getting hungry looking at this thread at 11, last night :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

Hey, go with it! Maybe you deserve a proper feast for holding down the fort when he gets back from the trip.:wink:

My husband decided a few years back when he was playing around with Alton Brown’s books that maybe he’d dabble a bit, but decided that his precise engineering precision would infringe on my improvisational style and maybe he should give me some space.

2 Likes

I’m afraid I’m going to have to fight to get kitchen rights back - he’s become downright territorial, even complaining how I load the dishwasher​:rofl::rofl: That’s ok I guess, I cooked up a storm when the girls were growing up, as well as did a heck of a lot of cleanup. They were both athletes, and could put away an amazing amount of food. So, I guess my new role is to leaf through cookbooks and magazines to find recipes for him to execute. :upside_down_face: He has become an excellent cook too, quite amazing, actually.

9 Likes

Sounds to me like you’ve more than paid your dues! Relish the nurturing, and the help with the clean-up!

3 Likes

^ Same over here.

Happy Birthday @bear! Your grilled pizza and cherry pie feast sounds like perfection.

4 Likes

that sucks about your chicken!! i hope that other meat eating adult plans on making it up to you!

1 Like

My wife had been getting on my case and urging me to make a meat dish that I used to make years ago.
I didn’t remember what it was. So she looked in the cookbook she suspected it was from and found it. Sookha Keema from Julie Sahni’s Classic Indian Cooking.

4 Likes

Nope. “My birthday” and " I made" is going to be a problem. Not that I wouldn’t do it, and love it, but I’m going to be bringing that up for a long time.

3 Likes

Thanks! And a happy belated birthday to you! :birthday:

1 Like

Ha, love it. Normally we would all be heading out to celebrate, but we haven’t even done takeout yet and I wanted something fun to eat. We are finally being wild and crazy and getting takeout for our 44th tomorrow night!

8 Likes

Then I don’t have to say any more! You definitely get it, tt.

1 Like

Just got the go ahead to make a reservation at one of my faves in Napa for my birthday this Saturday!

Last time we were there was for husband’s birthday just days before everything went sideways. They had already reduced seatings by 2/3 rds.

PS Happy 44th.

7 Likes

Oh, so exciting! Care to share which place? My sister lived there for a few years and I decided we’d celebrate with her and my wonderful broth-in-law in Napa.

1 Like

Farmstead at Longmeadow Ranch

This was literally seconds ago, so not sure we won’t chicken out.

5 Likes

Big salad and mango iced tea. Something cooler and light.

9 Likes

Didn’t go Beige tonight. Went Black.
Black Beans + Black Rice

15 Likes