What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

Our oven heats up to 300°C and we have a baking steel from https://www.bakingsteel.com/, so I get pretty good results. The advantage of the baking steel is that it transfers heat so well. That is also it’s disadvantage, because it has to reheat between pies.

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Ooooh that would make me Ms. Happy!

1 Like

I knew you’d be swooning over the oozing egg yolk, @mariacarmen. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I have been wondering too, hope she is ok…

1 Like

Tonight I made a sort of kheema with chopped tenderized beef steaks (aka minute steaks), peas, and potatoes in a spiced tomato-yogurt gravy over rice. Hit the spot - low point, though, was when I discovered the yogurt was off right after spooning a big dollop on top of the pot. Managed to remove it for a quick save.

18 Likes

Somebody’s not running out of ideas! Was tenderizing & chopping the meat time consuming?

2 Likes

Nice save!

Kheema is on the list of my top comfort foods… but we had it so many times the first few weeks I’m on break :joy:

1 Like

Last night was a disaster… for me :joy:

We decided to do chinese for everyone.

I cooked for the kids - indian chinese-style fried rice, steak-fried green beans, and - switching cuisines - agedashi tofu that they have been craving for months now. Everything spot on per their taste buds for a change (discerning palates and all), including tofu texture, which was a win for my first try at it.

I have been craving steamed chicken with black mushrooms (from the chinese revolution cookbook), so I marinated that. Other meat eating adult declined my dish, and wanted to make kung pao chicken, so I left half the chopped chicken aside. While I showered, my marinated / soupy chicken - sitting by the stove waiting to be steamed - was stir-fried and eaten :woman_facepalming:t2: I made myself my grandmom’s dry potato and ate it with rice to console myself (I was very very mad).

Tonight, steak (sv, grill), baked potatoes, mac & cheese, and cauliflower cheese. Salads too.

This afternoon I made a fantastic white bean recipe from the NYT - mostly following it for a change, except that I used dried beans and pressure cooked everything. Eaten with (homemade einkorn) toast. Smelled so good cooking that one bean-hating kid willingly had a bowl too.

And gratuitous pics of my first-ever home-grown tomato!

23 Likes

They came that way, I just cubed them up.

1 Like

White beans with a little bacon fat added . Clams and mussels . Served together . Cheers.

24 Likes

Omg! I would think my husband was body snatched if that happened. The only thing he makes in the kitchen is coffee and a peanut butter sandwich.

P.S. Your tomatoes are gorgeous. Good job.

1 Like

White Beans & Shellfish! I’m doin’ it!

3 Likes

Canned S&W white beans . Drained . Little bacon fat warmed. Added the beans. Pinch of salt and pepper. Some water added . I cook them covered on low heat for a half hour or so . This was a delightful mix with the shellfish.

6 Likes

Heads up! After being off the the product list for months Rancho Gordo just dropped a batch of the hard to get Moro Beans! If you like Mexican beans and haven’t tried them they’ll spoil you forever. I call them the prettier, tastier and more unique sister of the Pinto & Black Beans. Oh the bean gravy they make! :kissing_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Perfect. I have been hoarding the last bag (on earth it seems) of Caballero Beans. This dish seems worthy of them! I only have some almost too smoky bacon and a bit of frozen salt pork. Which would you use?

A little of both . Don’t need much. No rules.

1 Like

I used to get Rancho Gordo where I lived in Santa Cruz. They are the best. Now I cheat and used canned. Still good when needed.

3 Likes

:worried:

3 Likes

I cheat sometimes too, especially in the summer. But I have these great beans right now, so…

1 Like