What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

Blackeyed Peas w/Coconut Milk & Berbere Spices

Sauté in Butter - Red Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Serrano or Jalapeño then stir in Berbere Spice, Turmeric

Sauté in Tomatoes, add Coconut Milk, Stock & Simmer

Calls for more tomatoes but that’s all I had.

Add Peas, heat & coat, garnish w/Spring Onions & Cilantro (I only had frozen cilantro & stirred into peas)

Ralphs Fried Chicken

20 Likes

We love these mushrooms! But you have to be ok with the texture, which is chewier / meatier than fresh mushrooms.

I reconstitute them whole, then leave that way or cut depending on the application.

To reconstitute, I go much longer than the “instructions” in general - boiling water (usually microwave), then leave in there (try to stick the stem end down and put a plate in to keep the mushrooms submerged if necessary) for a while, microwaving again if necessary.

If the stems are very woody (not always), take them off.

Then slice or quarter if necessary for the recipe, or leave whole (easier to eat if you cut them up before cooking). Strain the liquid and reserve - if it’s a gravy dish you add it later, if it’s a dry dish you can use them for another purpose (soup, rice, etc).

My favorite use of these in a simple chinese steamed chicken dish - mushrooms and chicken with soy and sesame oil, steamed in a plate. You can add other things, but even with just this much it’s a flavor bomb.

7 Likes

I usually use the dried shitakes in Chinese braises and stirfries. Never had them as-is as a side.

3 Likes

Grilled burgers Sunday night with fries and store bought macaroni salad. Made vegetarian DD a double Beyond burger.

Monday night was sheet pan pizza. 4 quadrants to satisfy each person, although I made my section the same as DD’s.

15 Likes

Yum, that looks delicious! Did you use a recipe? I have beets needing love.

1 Like

Baked a half rack of ribs rubbed with salt, pepper, New Mexico red chili peppers, and brown sugar. Finished in the grill with some Korean bbq sauce. Potato salad and a few -icicles beets on the side. And bourbon.

18 Likes

It ALL looks good! He peas are especially tempting. I’m going to try your pea recipe with some “yellow eyes” l just got from Rancho gordo. Its pretty much all they had left! That and flageolets.
Anybody do anything interesting with those?

1 Like

Home made! Yum!!

1 Like

LOL! Lovely!

Happy birthday Eli!

2 Likes

Korean-ish. Bulgogi marinated pork chops, kimchi, kimchi fried rice and cucumber salad. I really prefer those thin, gnarly, bone-in pork chops for grilling but this is what I had. The kimchi was the inspiration that got me started as it needed to be used up. Time to start a new batch.

20 Likes

Happy birthday!! Best age!

2 Likes

With the C19, started practicing yoga in a nearly daily basis with the neighbours. Good to get closer with them despite living years nearby.

Sunday was the Pizza day, h cooked!

Artichokes, mozza, ham, mushrooms, anchovies, rosemary…

6 cheeses, Gorgonzola, goat cheese, ricotta, pecorino, parmesan…

Served with a Chianti

Tortilla

Served with onion confit and smoked herring

Lots of liver and duck rillette

Roasted pork in oven with soy sauce, rice wine, rice vinegar, oyster sauce, honey…

24 Likes

@naf
My Weber looks like the craggy Grandpa of yours! Nice job keeping it shiny & bright. :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you! You had some beautiful looking meals as usual last week.

2 Likes

Not any more… neighbour made a big fire and the fire came through the venting holes, a bit of plastic was burnt, h complained the whole week about the smell and the gone paint. :laughing:

1 Like

Do you like that pizza attachment for the grill? If I recall correctly, Kenji wasn’t that much in favor. So I didn’t get one.

Just asked h, he got the kit of Pizzacraft. He said Weber isn’t made for high temperature, the metal is too thin to keep the heat, to keep the heat (350°C / ~660°F ), a lot of charcoal is needed, heat can be higher if wood is also added. He said the result is satisfactory if you don’t want to invest a high price on a real pizza oven. Of course a real oven is another level. But he said it doesn’t worth to get an expensive pizza attachment for the above reasons (eg Kettlepizza).

How do you make your pizza?

2 Likes

Truly unfortunate.

Thanks @shrinkrap!

If I could edit I would put “add cooked peas” but I think that’s explanatory.

I’m kinda’ obsessed with Rancho Gordo and had ordered a bunch of varieties before news of a pandemic spread and folks started stockpiling beans. Now their stock is really depleted and only those Bean Club members are starting to get the good ones. :smirk: But I’m happy for them because they won’t have their usual lean bean summer.

Here’s the recipe from Marcus Samuelsson. Hope you like spicy.

Happy Bean Pea Eating!

3 Likes

I like to cook them with bay leaves, thyme sprigs and a fat leek. Then I saute garlic and either sliced leeks or chopped onion, add the cooked beans, some sliced endive or sometimes escarole, thyme and roasted garlic tomatoes and simmer till the endive/escarole is tender. Ideally garnish with chopped celery leaves. This is a go-to in the winter but no reason why it wouldn’t go great with grilled meats too.

3 Likes