What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

Checking in …am fine…stranded at the south Florida residence… have been lurking here for the last several weeks.
Thank you for asking!

11 Likes

@PHREDDY, Good to read you’re relaxing and well.

4 Likes

Mushrooms! Looking good.

@RedJim I don’t think I’ve ever used whole dried mushrooms - I always slice them thinly after reconstituting. I don’t know what your directions were, but I pour boiling water over the dried mushrooms in a glass bowl, cover it with a plate, and let sit for at least 30 minutes while I’m doing other meal prep. Then I pull out the mushrooms, remove the very woody stems and slice thinly. I usually strain and add the soaking liquid to whatever dish I’m making (usually a noodle soup or a stir fry). Wonder if you kept the mushrooms? I think they could be salvaged and turned into something edible, even wonderful. Don’t give up!

7 Likes

Thanks for your advice, @digga

It was far more detailed than what was printed on the package of mushrooms I had. I’ll just chalk it up to a “Live & Learn” experience. Kind of nice to have those at my advanced age. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Funny, I couldn’t help notice that your post was #666 of this thread @RedJim. :smile:

5 Likes

Thank you @tomatotomato! Mrs. P did an excellent job with designing and planting on the deck. Those extra few feet from the recent deck expansion really make a difference and give us some breathing room. It’s almost like having another living room. The wonderful ambience of al fresco dining help ease the pain of being sheltered at home without being able to dine at our favorite restaurants. It’s always nice to have the best seat in the house without reservations :blush:

8 Likes

We did an old standby from our rotation - cold Vietnamese noodles with lots of veg, herbs, tofu, and fish sauce dressing. It’s probably only a 6 or 7 with the kids, but I love it. It’s fresh, cold, exactly what you want on a summer day. Very healthy too - virtuous eating! And so pretty. IMO.

18 Likes

Another non-start-of-the-summer meal, and a decidedly odd mix of toppings, but it mostly worked.

Roasted asparagus, bacon, and caramelized onion pizza. Not too bad.

And wine.

18 Likes

It will be pretty late even here in California before this is ready, but looking forward to some smoked St. Louis cut ribs.

It’s soooooo hottttt! …(whining voice).

14 Likes

I intended to make maqluba but definitely didn’t have either the time or the right vegetables. I settled instead on baharat-spiced chicken noodle soup heavy on the vegetables. Homemade rich stock and leftover smoked Middle Eastern-spiced chicken, with harissa for those who wanted. It was good.

14 Likes

A pitcher of rum punch on the patio and then cheeseburgers and my BF’s seasoned battered fries. Nothing healthy about this. I had a spinach salad for lunch. Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day.

21 Likes

Last four oysters with aguachile inspired sauce.

Smoked hot links and smoked chicken (with something) sausage

Smoked ribs…I’m calling it “fatty meat”, so I don’t have to share.
. They might need a but more time.

19 Likes

A gorgeous Cobb salad (minus chicken) with homemade bread and (not h.m.) butter. They descended upon it like vultures and the whole thing was gone in 10 minutes. Inspiration - last weekend, we got takeout from a local salad and sandwich place. Kid 1 wanted a Cobb, and they had just run out of salad greens. Used up most of the rest of our arugula crop that had already bolted, and mixed it with some romaine. Trying to teach the kiddos life skills. So one picked the 'rugula off the stems, and the other boiled the eggs, cooked the bacon, and made the vinaigrette. Go team! The boule is from the Forkish book again. I keep practicing my method. Baking is easy but good baking is hard!

21 Likes

Burgers and dogs on the charcoal grill for the holiday! I made my own potato buns, which have now ruined us for any other type of bun (though I think the recipe could use some tweaking). I was planning to make slaw and perhaps cowboy beans as a side, but was too lazy, so we just had chips. However, that left room for rhubarb sour cream pie for dessert!

20 Likes

No pics again today. Lunch was hot dogs, salad, crudite and potato chips (a true rarity around here).
Dinner: filet mignon nicely medium rare, roasted brussels, roasted potato wedges, asparagus and green beans. s’mores for dessert.

Happy Memorial Day!

5 Likes

And beet and goat cheese terrine. Heavy on the cheese.

17 Likes

Haha, wine and the PSTOB are givens here!

3 Likes

Indeed.

:clap: :clap: :clap: