What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

Thank you very much, Cookie. :heart: And I’m so glad you enjoyed the pot roast recipe, one of my favorites. And adding garlic is never a bad thing!

My condolences for the passing, and joy for the birth of your grandchild.

6 Likes

10 Likes

Hi @Saregama - I have a bag of RG Yellow Eyed Peas. The Baked Rajma looks delicious but is behind a paywall, so think I’ll go with the Chawli Lobia. Question: is Tamarind Pulp the same as Tamarind Paste?

WOW!!! @ChristinaM!!!

1 Like

I’ve had the same urge lately!

I hadn’t either until a few days ago. I now have some sitting in my Amazon shopping cart.

Dinners plans tonight, veg-pasta salad with steamed lobster and mussels. Lots of lemon. Wine and mango sorbet.

Good to be home and here on HO!
Rooster

15 Likes

Tamarind pulp is probably removed from the actual pod by soaking it. Paste is that, but pureed and concentrated. Use sparingly and taste as you go - keep in mind that tamarind takes time to settle in to the gravy, so give it some time.

5 Likes

Mrs. P made a delicious whole red snapper from Local 130 Seafood with a side of asparagus.

14 Likes

Long day at work, even though I left at 3:30. Gearing up for a 6/1 partial reopening, of which I’m one of 9 out out 38 in the home office who will be return. I’ve been there full-time for the past 3 weeks anyway, so it makes sense I’m one of The Chosen. The rest will remain out until after Labor Day.

We’ve gone above and beyond what the Commonwealth is suggesting for white collar tech businesses such as ours, so I’m very comfortable.

I hadn’t planned on what to make for dinner, but a relatively small b/s chicken breast in the downstairs freezer made an easy choice because it defrosted quickly. Seasoned liberally with s/p.

Two small broccoli crowns were cut into florets, and the chicken was cut into small cubes. Sauteed everything and set aside while the penne was cooking.

Scooped out about 1/4 cup of the pasta water before draining. And then put about half a Presidente Garlic and Herb cheese container and 1/4 cup white wine and the pasta water back into the pot, and with additional dried herbs (oregano, basil, parsley and thyme), whisked it all together. A handful of grated Parm-Reg added at the end.

The chicken, broccoli and penne were added back into the pot and everything was warmed.

Dinner. With several glasses of wine during and after cooking.

23 Likes

Looks delicious!

1 Like

I made a savory oven pancake (I’d say Dutch baby, but I added baking powder in a moment of low confidence, and it didn’t come out quite the right texture) with ham, local cheddar, thyme, and Parmesan. Served up with a simple salad. And rosé all day.

23 Likes

:+1::wine_glass::wink:

2 Likes

Taco salad, with carnitas, black beans, fried tortilla strips, mexi rice, and avo. Would have been better with sour cream, but ours had gone bad. Salad had a little vinaigrette on it, but the cream would have tied it all together. Still, lots of good textures and flavors. I made the black beans yesterday from dry without pre-soaking them - just put a little baking soda into the water and cooked them. I’d heard about this tip but forgotten all about it. I’ve also taken to saving the resulting broth from the carnitas makings and freezing it, then using it again the next time, so the carnitas turn out super flavorful.

19 Likes

Beige meal alert! Cochinita pibil (Bayless recipe), fried plaintains, roast potatoes, pickled onions and pickled carrots. Truly, I didn’t know what to serve the pork and plaintains and onions with. A little too much rice and bean in the diet lately. So I landed on these potatoes. Tasty but not quite right. If we’d had some avo or radish, it would have rounded it out. Anyway, fam was sufficiently pleased. On to a new country tomorrow. Vietnamese noodle salad I think.

17 Likes

Made some char siu tonight. Pretty happy with the results! Used boston butt as the cut and went with a lower heat + 4 flips vs. the customary 2. Thought it came out juicier and with a better coating/glaze this way, albeit at the cost of being more work.

20 Likes

So gorgeous. Fabulous meal .

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Korean tonight, finally. Well, ish - I was missing some of my favorites, kimchi included.

Galbi two ways - thick short ribs marinated by me and thin courtesy my last run into TJ’s probably two and a half months ago now. Long sous vide, then grilled tonight.

I preferred the thin-cut, others preferred the thick. I boiled down the marinade / SV juices into a syrupy sauce, which was fantastic.

Sides were spinach and broccoli prepared using banchan recipes.

I also made tofu in the same marinade as the galbi, cooked sous vide to test if the marinade would penetrate better, and then broiled to caramelize. I forgot to take a picture, which is silly because it looked better than the beef!

15 Likes

Pork banh mi.

20 Likes