What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

Last dinner of May - pan seared ribeye with a baked white sweet potato. No color on the plate - veggie drawer needs replenishing. Satisfying.

21 Likes

Pork dumplings tonight. I used a SE short-cut method to cook them from frozen. You nuke them in some water, covered, then drain, dry, and fry. I toasted on all sides because it didn’t seem like the tops were fully softened from the microwave steaming. Overtoasted, to me. Still, tasty - gingery & garlicky. Green beans i made the other night with the mapo tofu (but no meat)/chili crisp treatment, and some jasmine rice.

Also made a WSJ morel cream sauce for chicken for tomorrow night’s dinner. I picked up some fresh morels from the FM on Thursday. the sauce is swoon-worthy! Can’t wait.

19 Likes

holy moley, that is a dish to hold onto, for sure…

1 Like

I ate out tonight at the Garden Tap . Gorgeous pizza Margherita , ceasar salad and a beer .

14 Likes

Is it still May? Are we still keeping on?

Ribcap with roasted garlic and some gorgonzola dolce, and raspberry and white chocolate petite four. Makes more sense than a cake these days.

19 Likes

I’ve created the June thread here:

2 Likes

@Lambchop As far as I know only the skate wings are eaten - at least that is true for east coast skate. I’m also not sure if Atlantic and Pacific skate differ.

@MAH If you don’t mind my asking how much was the skate? It’s getting to be that garbage fish have become crazy expensive over the last several years. I remember when you could not give away monkfish. Now it’s $12-$15 per pound.

@tomatotomato I usually end up making skate piccata as it works well after I steam it remove the skin. Plus I love capers.

3 Likes

Last dinner of May. May was so cold and damp that we celebrated 3 days of sunshine with dinner on the deck even though it was a bit windy. Teriyaki marinated London broil, zucchini and carrot salad, grilled shrimp, and corn on the cob. The corn was meh but my desire for something “summer” outweighed my gut that told me it was too early.

14 Likes

I was feeling very flush with veggies after doing a DRIVE THROUGH FARMERS MARKET EXPERIENCE! Like this covid situation has been very shitty on lots of levels but man oh man, I could get used to that level of service!

I did a pesto (with walnuts because I couldn’t find the pine nuts in the pantry, but did find them when putting the walnuts away…), corn, zucchini, tomato, onion, sausage, pasta with fresh mozzarella. My stomach is rumbling as I am typing this so I’m glad I made plenty for leftovers!

14 Likes

Lovely! What farmer’s market? I’m always looking for local sources for produce.

Only Terraces are open (must book table in advance) …

Restaurant seating indoors is unavailable and not allowed at this time.

It was real nice to be able to sit outdoors and have some wine and some appetisers.

Best wishes …

3 Likes

OMG, those morels - envious! Everything you post looks fab. BTW, am getting totally addicted to that Chinese Chile sauce w/the peanuts, fried tofu & rutabaga. Have Chile crisp now, but haven’t tried it yet. Love mapo tofu, and have only ever had it at home @mariacarmen. Do enjoy those morels tonight!

1 Like

You made the petits four @shrinkrap? They look great!

40 cloves of roasted purple stripe garlic made inside the toaster oven :yum: for Zuni Chicken in the fire pit :fire:

18 Likes

It looks like pure heaven @emglow! I’m not envious, am down right jealous, and absolutely green eyed over it. I know from your posts they have great food there, but I’d be willing to munch on shoe leather or whatever there, at this point. Wa hasn’t opened yet, in the couple counties we’re in most often. Patience.

1 Like

Thanks @MsBean; gonna have to do more research on Pacific skate. Understand them to be much larger than Atlantic, so they might be truly awful, or conversely, good and easier to eat. But have never recalled seeing them on a menu, even while traveling.

Looks so fresh and appealing @MsBean! BTW, we never get bad corn anymore due to that bicolor type we get around here. But it’s so sweet, and sometimes doesn’t taste “corny” enough, if that makes sense.

1 Like

Looks great @gracieggg! Isn’t it frustrating when you can’t find something when you know you have it? Happens to me all the time & then I figure I must have used it and buy more, only to magically find it afterwards. Grrrr. Oh, my situation results from H rearranging stuff. And senility lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Envious @Barca, but very happy your country is starting to open back up - you’ve had a rough go of it, as we have now. We’ll be waiting a couple weeks before having the pleasure of dining out al fresco, and not at our own casa.

Looks great - please let me know how the Zuni chicken in the fire pit turns out.

I actually had Zuni chicken at the resto in SF even before the late great Judy Rodgers started cooking there. Great experience. Have posted about it before, but can’t resist the re-mention. Also, I think her cookbook is one of the greatest cookery books ever written. Have learned a lot from it.

6 Likes