What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

Thanks… again. Just ordered. We have gifted it but never had the pleasure ourselves.

1 Like

Last night was middling Chinese delivery. Whatever, I didn’t have to cook.

Tonight I made burritos with rice, black beans, cheese, cilantro, and leftover beef curry with peas and potatoes, with a swirl of spicy cantera salsa and apricot jam for dipping.

17 Likes

oh my gracious, this looks amazing.

2 Likes

You’re welcome. If you are looking for something a little stronger there is also the Aervana aerator that runs on 6 AAA batteries. It is about 5 times the price though. I have the original. They now have a select version.
https://aervana.com/product/aervana-original-electric-wine-aerator-ed2/

3 Likes

Raining here this evening . Two eggs sunnyside up , Heidi potatoes . Pan fried ham steak with red eye gravy . Cheers .

18 Likes

Birthday dinner at Farmstead in Napa, first dine in in months!

18 Likes

So great to dine in again. Been a couple times.

1 Like

Already? I thought they were opening just for my birthday!

2 Likes

Great photos. Very evocative.
But this one…(swoon)

11 Likes

Not many people eat skate but we do. Mr Bean will sometimes bring home skate he caught. The others on the boat tease him as they consider it a garbage fish. Did you get it already skinned? The only way I can skin it is to steam it which then makes further cooking in another style tricky.

5 Likes

I love the wings.

4 Likes

Happy birthday, @shrinkrap!

1 Like

Never had the pleasure of trying skate. One day, hopefully. Just read that 99% of people that catch them, throw them back. Kind of like they do with skip jack tuna maybe.

Bones are a pain, but the wings are fantastic!

4 Likes

Yes, i got just the wings, cleaned without skin and bones. so prep was easy.

3 Likes

Am I correct in inferring that the wings taste better than the body? I found out we have big skate in the Pacific; does anyone know if they’re eaten, and good, or how they compare to Atlantic skate? I don’t recall having ever even seen skate on a menu anywhere I’ve travelled really.

Bones although a pain at times provide the base to further meals in the way of stock. Jars of stock fill my freezer. From blonde to roasted bones are to be cherished. It’s the dividend that keeps giving

2 Likes

Hah, I’ve got to start! Once my freezer has space after the panic buying…

2 Likes

Torch dinner while watching Joe Bonamassa stream a thon. Grass fed sausages with watermelon pickle, goat cheese and balsamic glaze on cranberry walnut bread.

11 Likes

I remember a special of skate wing piccata I once tasted at a restaurant called Catalyst in Cambridge, MA. Delicious!

BTW, I have heard that unscrupulous fish sellers cut skate wings into scallop-sized rounds and pass them off as scallops. If they were openly marketed as skate, I would want to give them a try.

2 Likes