What's for Dinner #55: The March Forward Into Spring Edition - March 2020

Oh, my! I always wanted to be a goddess :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

You’ve made it!

1 Like

Extraordinarily timely! You two never need leave your home/deck, particularly with Mrs. P’s kitchen acumen. Well done!

5 Likes

Great wine with your fabulous food . Bravo

2 Likes

Not a photogenic plate: slow-cooker pork loin in a cranberry dijon jus. Sides of cauliflower mashed potatoes with garlic and Parmesan cheese, roasted asparagus with Pecorino, and some mushrooms.

Drink: Death in the Afternoon with a lemon peel.

Dessert: Figured I would bake today, which is a rarity (my BF and I both cook but he nails the baking and I am more than happy to step aside in that department). Headed into our 1950 Mennonite Community Cookbook and something simple: “Dream Cake”. Pastry crumble is topped with a coconut-walnut-brown sugar concoction. This recipe probably dates back a hundred years and is one of many in this collection from simpler times. Wording throughout the book includes phrases such as “add a cup of fat”, and my personal favorite “cook until done”. Indeed.

Said Dream Cake tasted good but was a little overdone. Recipe called for 35 minutes of baking but since my oven routinely runs hot, gave it 30 and that seemed to be too much.

19 Likes

Cheers. :wine_glass:

1 Like

Sorrel soup

Green chili and cheese quiche

with Garden mache

16 Likes

Wow, 3 beautiful dishes.

2 Likes

Broccoli miso soup and garlic bread. Red wine.

11 Likes

Thank you! Yes, we were very fortunate to get this deck expansion completed especially with the lockdown coming up. At least we will have more space to spend outdoors, since we won’t be able to go anywhere. It will look a lot nicer in a few months once Mrs. P fixes it up with plants and trees.

5 Likes

Willing to share?

1 Like

Wow. What a beautiful “outrdoor deck” and sofá …

2 Likes

Lovely quiche …

I made a ground pork and tofu stir fry over brown Jasmine rice. Sides of roasted broccoli and mung bean salad. Love those mung beans!

11 Likes

I have before. It is essentially Russian dressing with blue cheese. The “recipe” reads disgusting but it is a very useful topping at times.
1 cup catsup
1 cup sugar
1 cup neutral oil
1 cup white vinegar
1 mashed clove garlic
1 T worcestershire sauce
1/2 cuo crumbled blue cheese

This if from husband’s aunt. You can cut sugar to taste. Works well with some fruit as well as veg.

3 Likes

Thank you @Barca!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend and stay safe!

1 Like

OMG @gcaggiano, that is a fabulous plate!!! Your BF must truly be channeling an Italian nonna… Would love a plate of that right now :yum::heart::wine_glass:

2 Likes

Thanks! Could be I asked but forgot.

Sunday. Lunch …
Simply a Pasta Puttanesca Rossi …
Recipe: Dear Friend Maurizio Pelli, Author e Private Chef.

16 Likes

Tonight was homemade char kway teow with fish slices ( which the missus gave to me), prawns, cockles, chives and egg.

16 Likes