What's for Dinner #55: The March Forward Into Spring Edition - March 2020

In keeping with my Meatless Monday routine, it’s a couple of Dr. Praeger mushroom risotto veggie burgers and tater tots.

No booze, but there is The Last Man on Earth on TV.

4 Likes

A potato and onion (and shhhhhh! a bit of chard!) frittata.

Haven’t been eating potatoes much but I am feeling sorry for myself, so why not?

Feeling on my way in a handbasket.

18 Likes

Dinner: Mixed green salad, white bean chicken tortilla soup with embellishments. No cilantro, green onions to top. Oh, and fresh roasted (frozen) extra hot Hatch Green Chiles. Used to buy them by the 30 lbs! :hot_pepper:

15 Likes

Rosti potato. Were fantastic. Grated potato into a bowl of cold water. Drained and rinsed. Then back into cold water soak for 10 minutes. Drain , dry , and fry . Medium heat. Covered for the first part of cooking. Local bratwurst , sunnyside up fried egg . Dressed with creme fraiche , dijon mustard and dill . Cheers .

17 Likes

Meatless balls (Gardein), marinara sauce from a jar (Rao’s), mozzarella, and rapini for Meatless Monday.

12 Likes

Welcome to lockdown eve! Yep, SF and other Bay Area counties join the ranks of the shelter-in-place communities, tonight at midnight. Working in jammies tomorrow!

Worked late tonight, so BF made a batch of the chicken broth rice, and i made more ginger-scallion sauce. We split a medium-rare ribeye. On the side was afterthought salad: romaine, endive, and bottled Japanese (Daiso) onion dressing.

Strength and health to us all!

20 Likes

now that I know what Rao tastes like… swoon…

And I love that dish. You’re from the SF area, aren’t you? Did you get it here in the City?

1 Like

oh lordy, that’s my kinda dinner. will have to follow suit, soon.

1 Like

OMG - all looks so wonderful, and that is my idea of the perfectly cooked ribeye. I practically need a Clorox wipe for the iPad, as I’m almost drooling. If that doesn’t provide strength to you, don’t know what will! Stay well, and good for your governor to make the right move.

BTW, I’m having a spine strengthening and comforting White Russian, ala The Dude, as well as a nod to more carefree times. Amazing what smell and taste memories can do…

2 Likes

cin-cin! I will be joining you in imbibing shortly!

and thanks, the steak did come out just right, which it doesn’t always do…

1 Like

I did! I’m pretty sure it is this one:

1 Like

ok nice! i thought maybe it was from Biordi in North Beach. they sell Deruta there too - but the prices are insane!

1 Like

Ah yeah I’ve walked by that store. Beautiful ceramics but yes a bit expensive. I would be afraid to eat on them!

1 Like

same here!

They were taken over by new owners. I used to exchange gifts from there for years with my sister. I have a wonderful collection. And a couple pieces from Italy that were made special. One of a kind . Priceless.

3 Likes

IMHO Rao’s is worth every cent. I used to order it by the case before it came to grocery stores.

1 Like

I bought our son a Biordi fruit bowl one Christmas. His cat knocked it off the counter, It was not replaced. 'the bowl, not the cat who lived almost 20 more years.

4 Likes

:laughing::frowning::joy: omg…

I was thinking Bel Canto, too. There was one in Brookline and also in other Greater Boston towns. They had great whole wheat crust and overall it as a great place.

3 Likes

Fabulous absolutely …

Think I shall make a Tortilla Española with potatoes and onions tomorrow …

The main difference is the format and the ingredients. And perhaps the height …

I have not made a fritatta in ages, however, looks easy enough ! I shall look at some of my Italian cookbooks and see how they créate the format …

1 Like